Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who Provides All Extra Clothes, Etc.?
SunflowerMama 08:49 AM 05-31-2011
I'm thinking about changing my policies so that the only thing coming each day is the child (and 5 diapers on Monday to send the kids home in). They could also have ONE small lovie for nap time.

I will provide nap mats/blankets and changes of clothes.

I'm just getting a little overrun with bedding (favorite blanket, pillow, etc.), clothes, toys from home (I only allow toys from home if they share but it's getting hard to keep track of), etc.

I'm thinking about a trip to the thrift store to buy shorts/sweats/tshirts and I'll mark DAYCARE on the tag and use those for accidents. I'd then just ask the parents bring back the clothes the next day.

It'll save so much room and headache.

How many of you provide EVERYTHING for the kids? What do you do about underwear?

I just don't know how much the parents would love the kids coming home in my clothes but it's just so hard keeping track. Especially with so many girls and them all wearing the same size.
dEHmom 08:52 AM 05-31-2011
Honestly, some people could probably pull it off without a hitch, but you'll find a lot of clothes will not come back.

You can limit the stuff coming each day though if that's an issue. Only what is required for daycare can come to daycare.
nannyde 09:07 AM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I'm thinking about changing my policies so that the only thing coming each day is the child (and 5 diapers on Monday to send the kids home in). They could also have ONE small lovie for nap time.

I'm just getting a little overrun with bedding (favorite blanket, pillow, etc.), clothes, toys from home (I only allow toys from home if they share but it's getting hard to keep track of), etc.

I'm thinking about a trip to the thrift store to buy shorts/sweats/tshirts and I'll mark DAYCARE on the tag and use those for accidents. I'd then just ask the parents bring back the clothes the next day.

It'll save so much room and headache.

How many of you provide EVERYTHING for the kids? What do you do about underwear?

I just don't know how much the parents would love the kids coming home in my clothes but it's just so hard keeping track. Especially with so many girls and them all wearing the same size.
They will LOVE the kids coming home in your clothes especially if they are nice fitting EASY on clothes like sweats and t-shirts. They will keep them the vast majority of the time. It's a LOT of work to get them back and you will hear some stories you NEVER dreamt possible on where the clothes are and what happened to them.

Then one day when DAD gets the kid dressed he will bring the kid in your clothes. They will be worn and faded and look NOTHING like they did the day you sent them out the door.

When Mom comes to pick up you will have a quick... really quick flash facial expression on her face. That "ooops got caught" look. Then she will say "oh Daddy FOUND them... I've been looking for them. YAY ;-)

Have them bring a few sets of spare clothes to keep at your house. When you are down to one outfit ask for the spares back or wash and keep what you took the kid out of. If you are down to one outfit DON'T send the clothes the kid came in home.
cheerfuldom 09:08 AM 05-31-2011
Parents provide everything here but it is limited to what can fit in a regular sized diaper bag (this after a parent would bring roll luggage each day for their child!) No toys from home, one sippie, one lovey, one binky, a change of clothes and diapers for the day. I leave blankets in each pack n play for the older ones that can handle that. They each bring a sack lunch and I do two snacks per day. This is what works for me. You might consider limiting as much as possible and then decide on the clothing and stuff after that. Each of the kids here has a cubby and if it doesn't fit in there, it doesn't stay at daycare. Down the road, when I have kids on nap mats, I will provide all bedding and such, again limit on one lovey item. By the time they are preschool age, all they bring is a sack lunch and leave one emergency change of clothing here. I wean off bottles, pacis, loveys as I see fit. I don't care what the parents do at home with that as long as they don't bring that stuff here.
SilverSabre25 09:14 AM 05-31-2011
Parents provide stuff, but it gets left here. Changes of clothes get sent home when soiled and the parents bring replacements the next day. I also have insisted on having boots, light jackets, etc left here for sloppy days, chilly days, days when it's spitting rain...
safechner 09:16 AM 05-31-2011
I have to say I agree with those posters. I will not provide clothes for the daycare kids. I would say the parents will need to bring extra clothes and underwear.

To be honest, I wouldn't provide used underpants for the daycare kids or my kids that I think it is disgusting.
sharlan 09:18 AM 05-31-2011
I think that would take a lot more work to pull off. Maybe keep a couple of generic (boy/girl) sweatshirts for outside play.

Have each child bring 2 or 3 outfits in a ziploc bag. Make sure they are labeled. Either wash the dirty outfits and keep them or send them home and have the parents bring a fresh one the next day.

Ask each parent to bring a small blanket for nap time. One that isn't to be transported back and forth. It stays and you wash it over the weekend.

As for toys.......do not be responsible for any toys that are brought. I prefer that no toys are brought from home. I am not responsible for any toy, whether it be lost or broken. Nor will I hunt for it at the end of the day. It should have stayed in the car.
GotKids 09:26 AM 05-31-2011
I provide diapers, bottles, cups, bedding for naps and such. I ask the parents to bring a couple changes of clothes to leave here and I put them in clear shoebox containers with their name. If the child soils an outfit while here I change them into one of the spares and I will wash the dirty ones and place in the shoebox for next time.

I also have a shelf for them to put diaper bags coats and any "extras" they bring. I find special toys cause too much trouble to be used during the day. I will let them use for naps though. Most parents stop bringing them after a day or two.
nannyde 09:27 AM 05-31-2011
It's funny you just brought this up because I just wrote a blog about it. I was going to wait until next week to put it up but I'll see if we can get it up today.

My all time EVER favorite "bring stuff from home" story was a provider who had a kid bring in a hefty bag with a couch cushion in it.
cheerfuldom 09:41 AM 05-31-2011
what?!? what was the couch cushion for???
melskids 09:45 AM 05-31-2011
at the beginning of each season, i have the parents bring me a week's worth of outfits to keep here. i have one of those 3 drawer plastic things on wheels, and i can fit two kiddos stuff in each one.

i dont even bother sending dirty stuff home anymore, its too hard to get replacements. i labeled everything w/ the kiddos name, and i just keep it and wash it when necessary.
sharlan 09:52 AM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
It's funny you just brought this up because I just wrote a blog about it. I was going to wait until next week to put it up but I'll see if we can get it up today.

My all time EVER favorite "bring stuff from home" story was a provider who had a kid bring in a hefty bag with a couch cushion in it.
That's one that I haven't seen before.
GG~DAYCARE 10:01 AM 05-31-2011
I had a parent bring 10 sippy cups for one days worth of drinks. All color coded for each type of drink for 2 kids!! Those kids better have all those liquids gone or they were in trouble when Mom got back at the end of the day!!!! TRUE story!!!
I have an old sweater cabinet. It has a 5 boxy drawers. Each kid has a drawer and Mom bring diapers and one change of clothes. Some parents leave a sweatshirt or swim suit depending on the weather.
jojosmommy 10:11 AM 05-31-2011
When a child begins care I have them bring two of each kind of outfit- warm and cold since it can be either here on any day. They also bring a couple extra pairs of undies/pull ups and/or any infant creams needed. I keep them in the basement near the changing area in a large ziploc bag with their name on it. Periodically, I bring the bags up to the entry and make parents sort through what will still fit or what needs replacing. If they have nothing left I have a few spares but not often. They are junk ones from garage sales so mom/dad wont want to keep them anyway.

When kids arrive they bring nothing in. Except on Mondays when they bring their washed blanket for the week. Friday they go home. Rarely, they get forgotten at home and then I use some spare blankets Monday.
Sugar Magnolia 10:45 AM 05-31-2011
Do you have cubbies? Target has a 12 compartment shelf that they sell inserts for. The shelf is under 50 bucks, the inserts are 6 bucks each. Extra clothes, SMALL pillow, SMALL blanket and a cuddly all fit well in the 12"x12" spots. Perfect. Love 'em! I have a bag of extra clothes in an emergency, all donated by parents. Girl X outgrows a dress, Mom X donates it because it fits Girl Z now. Parents are GLAD to donate outgrown items.
Cat Herder 10:53 AM 05-31-2011
I require parents to provide a complete change of clothing (to include shoes and socks) to be kept here at all times. Diapers are brought by the case, no linens/blankets/toys/bags etc. from home allowed at all.

Parents are required to label their children's clothing or consider them "Village Wear". They become that way, anyway, since most of my families pass them down to one another.

I also keep sweats and shorts/T-shirts for outside/messy play. I launder all linens/clothing daily. I change them into my play clothes if there is a high likelihood that our planned activity will stain/ruin clothing.

All kids are cleaned up, hair styled and in fresh clothing for going home. My families rarely go straight home, usually to restaurants each night and regularly come dressed in high end clothing.
Blackcat31 11:20 AM 05-31-2011
Each child is required to have in their cubbie/basket: a complete change of clothing, a jacket, and good running shoes.

Parents of children in diapers are required to bring a full, unopened package of diapers and diaper wipes on the 1st of each month in addition to the above. The parents of infants are required to supply two new bottles to leave at daycare. (I send them home with them when they become proficient at using a sippy cup which I provide. Or on their first birthday.)

No diaper bags or other supplies come in or out on a daily basis. Children ONLY are dropped off and picked up. If a child has soiled their clothing, I send them home in their spare set and keep the soiled set as it's replacement to be put in the cubbie/basket.

I used to collect random sweatpants and t-shirts for extra's but way too many parents came to count on me providing those extra's (and NEVER returning them, no matter what was written on them) so I stopped.
lpperry 11:26 AM 05-31-2011
I have parents provide clothes, diapers, and wipes, but it doesn't come daily. 2 changes of clothing are in the cubbies. They replace as needed. In the summer I require a swim suit, swim diapers and water shoes--sometimes these come daily, other kids have an extra for here. Diapers and wipes are in their cubby, plus in my storage area--I refill the cubbies as needed. Pacis and lovies stay here for full-timers. For my part-timers, lovies are the only things that come in the diaper bag.

None of these are rules--there just isn't much the kids need to bring.
MarinaVanessa 11:35 AM 05-31-2011
I do the cubby thing here too and unless it's an infant I only require one complete outfit (2 if infants). I have spare clothes herefor accidents and spills and they have DAYCARE written I'm bold letters. When a DC needs to use a spare of mine (AKA parent hasn't brought extra set) I will loan a set of mine out which is required to be brought back next day. Ill throw DC kids dirty set in the wash along with my days DC load and keep that outfit until my set comes back. Otherwise I will never see them again.

Providing ALL of the clothing and expecting the patens to remember to bring them back EVER is a long shot much less asking them to bring them back the next day which is why I keep their set as collateral until I get mine back.

I do however provide the bedding. My mom made me small blankets big enough for our sleep mats in each child's cubby color. I got tired of parents forgetting to bring their child a blanket each day.
Sunshine44 11:41 AM 05-31-2011
I'm really laid back in some senses and I have a few extra outfits here, but I ask the parents to send an extra outfit each day. Mine are just for emergencies. I have the parents bring one small bag back & Forth each day...it should have everything in it for the day. The only think I keep at my house is diaper cream, wipes and diapers and formula or food for the babies.
DCMom 12:06 PM 05-31-2011
Parents supply everything for the most part. I have a separate daycare area so I don't mind having things kept here for my convenience.

Each season they bring a change of clothes including socks and undies; winter they leave a hat, gloves and snowpants here. In the summer, it's a swimsuit and water shoes. Those in diapers bring mega packs (I supply wipes) and diaper cream; infants have two bottles that stay here and go home when drinking from a cup. For sunscreen, they contribute to a fund and I buy as needed.

Each child has a cubby and a hook; that's where the items are stored/hung. I have a separate cubby shelf for blankets (that are kept here) that I turn to the wall during the day so they aren't dragging blankets around all day.

If the kids need a change during the day, they go home in the spare outfit and I wash the soiled one and it becomes the extra. I do a load of daycare laundry daily anyway so it's no big deal.
Mom_of_two 12:07 PM 05-31-2011
Parents provide everything. I have cubbies for all extra clothes, diapers, wipes, etc. Each child has a pack and play for nap and their blanket/ nap time stuffed animal stays in there (I only have three DCK's so easy to leave the pack and play's up all the time.)

Guess it depends on the type of families you have whether you should worry about clothes coming back. When my DD was in care we had extra clothes there but once she came home in center clothes, and i washed them and sent them back. I would not jump to the conclusion that they would not come back, especially if you have responsible families.

Some parents might not want their child in other clothes, though. Not sure how I would feel about that- this might be out there but potentially a child might feel shamed after an accident if they have to wear someone else's clothes as opposed to their own. As a parent I would want my child in her own clothes, and to feel comfortable even if an accident happens. Other clothes might feel like a punishment. Just my opinion. I would not like it. But some people are more relaxed about that stuff than me-lol.
SunflowerMama 12:08 PM 05-31-2011
Thanks everyone for all the responses!

I just cleaned out their cubbies/backpacks and grabbed one change of clothes for each kid and their swimwear and put it in a ziplock in their cubby. I found so many random toys, blankets, pillows, bags and clothes it was nuts .

Everything except what's in the ziplock is being sent home today. I'll just wash any soiled clothes and replace the outfit in the ziplock.

I just emailed all the families and let them know that my new policy will be just bring your child in the morning and that's it. No more toys, backpacks, bags, extra bedding, etc. I think it will definitely simplify things for them and for me.

Thanks again!
Live and Learn 03:12 PM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
Thanks everyone for all the responses!

I just cleaned out their cubbies/backpacks and grabbed one change of clothes for each kid and their swimwear and put it in a ziplock in their cubby. I found so many random toys, blankets, pillows, bags and clothes it was nuts .

Everything except what's in the ziplock is being sent home today. I'll just wash any soiled clothes and replace the outfit in the ziplock.

I just emailed all the families and let them know that my new policy will be just bring your child in the morning and that's it. No more toys, backpacks, bags, extra bedding, etc. I think it will definitely simplify things for them and for me.

Thanks again!

I love that organized feeling!
Hunni Bee 04:53 PM 05-31-2011
The kids that I know I will NEVER get a change of clothes from, I use my extra's with "Property of Daycare" written really ugly all across the front and I keep and wash the clothes they were wearing, so I get a least one good outfit. Underwear - I usually use a Pull-Up, but if I don't have any...they go commando and I let the parent know why. I rarely get the extras back. But at least I don't have to see the kid wearing a "new" outfit the next week courtesy of me.

Instead of spending your own money on extras, ask the parents to donate their kids (and their older siblings) outgrown or unwanted clothes to the daycare. It gets the junk out of their house and you get a good supply of extra's in various sizes. That's what we do.
daycare 04:59 PM 05-31-2011
I have in my PHB that I require the parents to check the childrens cubby box weekly. they are not allowed to have it get over sutffed. One blanket and 2 sets of clothes. They are required to clean it out and make sure that there are not dangerous items in the box.

I send out reminders on wednesday. It is done every friday or on the last day of the week that the child receives care.
nannyde 05:10 PM 05-31-2011
This one is for you Sun:

https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/allo...nvironment.htm
Abigail 05:20 PM 05-31-2011
I personally enjoy seeing the children's blankets because all of them are different. We only have an issue with one-two girls. One girl has a sleeping bag for a teenager and we can't store it with the rest. I really wish we would make a rule on the size limitations and have her bring a smaller one in. The other girl once in awhile brings in two blankets and two small pillow items that she ends up playing with during nap time. We also ask that parents bring in one change of clothes, but when I open my own daycare I'm going to ask for two for everyone.
I would recommend making a post on craigslist or looking at rummage sales before thrift shops. Let people know you're looking for 2T-5T pants or whatever sizes and you'll end up with some donations. You could make a "big event" out of it and involve the kids in Tye-Dying and make all the donated pants an art project for the bigger kids outside. You could intentially dye some girl colors and some boy colors and when you need to use them put a pink/purple one of the boys, etc.
I'm personally not going to provide everything, but most of the things. I would request parents bring extra sets of underwear also. You can also buy 10 packs of the sizes if your kids are in the same size and explain in a newsletter that you've used part of such and such funding fee (if you charge fees) to purchase new undies for emergency use only. One of our oldest girls had an accident today and didn't have any spare cothes. Last week I bought three pairs of pants 2t, 3t, and 4/5t and on Friday a girl went home in the 4/5t and today this girl went home in the 3t w/out undies. I told her parents and I'm sure they'll bring some supply now. I'll see how long before the spare clothes come back. I'll mention it to the parents after a week once or twice and then let it go. I paid TEN CENTS for each pair so it doesn't really matter for the cost, it's the respect of other's property that shows a lot about parents.

Unregistered 07:29 PM 05-31-2011
When I first started doing dc I wrote it into my contract that each family brings atleast 1 change of clothing, diapers and wipes. 2 bottles to live here, and formula. It became increasingly more difficult to get the parents to bring what I needed to care for these kids. It would be 2-3 weeks til some parents would bring in diapers, wipes etc. Eventually I started providing everything and the parents seemed to be relieved. I buy spare clothes at the second hand stores, walmart clearance racks and collect clothes along the way when kids leave. I provide most every thing and it works for me. Each child has there own cubbie in the entry way, I have two sets of shelves above the changing area where the diapers and wipes are kept and a change of clothes for each child in the drawers of the changing table. I have quite a bit of spare clothing and most of it does come back (mostly b/c I lable every thing DAYCARE in big letters. (I only have 3 kids so its not hard) to keep up with stuff. I try to avoid parents bringing diaper bags b/c they take up lots of room.
Each provider has there own style and what works for one may not work for another. You will find what works for you. You will get a lot of ideas here.
Tags:clothes
Reply Up