Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To Term or Not to Term, That Is the Question…
Mummy101 10:36 AM 07-13-2017
Yes, this age-old question has been discussed on previous threads but I did not want to steal focus from the person who posted it. Besides, each circumstance is unique.

I have almost done it, I even have the letter ready to go from a few months ago.

How many of you have termed for just plain not liking a child? (Keep in mind, not all adult personalities are compatible either, it’s really the same thing) While I realize this can be a touchy subject, I am seeking tried and true advice, please refrain from negativity, it makes me sad. I am never interested in partaking in catty banter. We are all on the same team here!

I could mention all the annoying qualities the DCK (age 2 ¼) possesses but that would take forever. OK ok If you insist, I will name just a few…
• Rips every toy off the shelf and onto the floor in a matter of 5 minutes
• Cannot play nicely with other children, constantly takes toys, hits, pushes, cries when corrected and yells. Thinks all toys are “mine”. Hoards toys.
• Needless to say, unstructured or “free play” is out of the question for this one. Oh, but structured activities are out too, as DCK will not sit with the group for 5 seconds without disrupting the entire activity… forget circle time.
• Cannot use paint, markers or anything really that doesn’t go in the mouth, because it will.
• Constantly making NOISE... literally nonstop. Humming, repeating, yelling, laughing
• Always having to take a sit and play separate from other children due to behavior issues
• Riles up other children
• Wakes up the other children during nap

The list goes on forever it seems and it is such a pleasant environment when this child is not here for the day. The odd thing is, the DCK is actually a really good listener and can be very sweet. None of the obnoxious behavior is done aggressively, however, I am CONSTANTLY redirecting and I am exhausted mentally.

I am highly inclined to believe it is not just age, nor do I believe it is a case of ADHD. I think this may be an instance of Nature AND Nurture as DKP and I have very different parenting styles. DCP is permissive so that does not help one bit. I have done my best to address this to no avail.

Despite all, I feel bad for this kiddo. (Alright, I guess I have a soft spot for DCK after all…still drives me nuts though) I literally cannot stand this child but I feel like I would miss the little stinker if I terminated. I need my sanity and I find myself being grumpy. Is the grass really greener on the other side? What would you do? Even an “I am in the same boat” would help!

P.S Not concerned about the money aspect one bit. Just what is best for the little one and my brain!
KiwiKids 10:56 AM 07-13-2017
I had a soft spot for a child of a permissive parent. Loved the child but trying to balance that child in a group was a nightmare. Parents weren't going to change and I felt like I was in a constant uphill battle. Most kids learn there's a different set of expectations here and ( even if it takes time ) meet them and I only have to deal with drop off and pick up time since they know they have control at home. This child seemed to struggle every single day. I did eventually terminate care and it was definitely the right decision. I shouldn't have tried to stick it out. Looking back, I feel like I did a disservice to the child since this was obviously not the right setting to have them in.
DaycareDays126 11:20 AM 07-13-2017
I had this exact child recently. They were with me for about a year and I finally gave up as the behaviors got worse and worse and, to be honest, I was never able to form a connection with the child which makes it a bit more difficult to deal with. I always feel bad letting a child go, but the days go by so so sooo much smoother now...I don't regret it for a second!
NeedaVaca 11:28 AM 07-13-2017
He sounds exhausting. I never feel guilty for terming. When I feel it coming and start questioning myself then it's usually time and once I actually term it's always a huge weight lifted off of me and my days are so much more pleasant. I imagine you will be much happier and engaged with the other kids in your care once he's gone
Indoorvoice 11:30 AM 07-13-2017
Any time you are dreading a child's attendance repeatedly, you should term. It's not fair to you and not fair to the kiddo. The nice thing about this being your business is that you can term for whatever reason you want!
Mummy101 07:51 AM 07-14-2017
Thank you all, it is nice to just hear that some of you have been through it also! I somehow knew terming is the right direction, yet it is is hard not to second guess myself, especially on the "good" days.
daycare 09:50 AM 07-14-2017
regardless of age we are not going to connect with every child in care. Like you said no different that connecting with adults. I have a very best friend who is 72, she is who I inspire to be.

I honestly fell every child deserves a child that can connect with them. I am lucky that I have staff and I don't connect too well with the child, there is a chance they will, if not, we have to let the child go.

It's also taking a look at your environment, it may not be with the child needs.

Don't feel bad, you are only human and you can only do so much. Honestly, i would let this child go, sounds like he needs a difference environment and an adult that can give more one on one attention.
Blackcat31 10:14 AM 07-14-2017
I'm refraining from replying as I wouldn't want to make anyone sad.
CityGarden 10:19 AM 07-14-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
It's also taking a look at your environment, it may not be with the child needs.

Don't feel bad, you are only human and you can only do so much. Honestly, i would let this child go, sounds like he needs a difference environment and an adult that can give more one on one attention.
I echo Daycare!

My contracts are only one year long so I would likely stick out the contract and not renew stating the dcb needs a different sort of setting and then provide some insight to what I think that setting may be.

Best of luck.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 12:17 PM 07-14-2017
I feel like this post would be about my son if I had to put him in someone else's program. I've said multiple times that if he was not my child I would have termed months ago. On the crazy days he tests every limit, literally bounces of the walls, and is generally exhausting. (To clarify, the behaviors are never malicious or violent in any form... just... wild.) Redirections, consequences, behavior management of any sort be damned; when he's having an "energy burst" you just hang on and do your best. On the good days/hours he's a model citizen. At this point I can anticipate some episodes coming, like if a new child starts the program or one leaves. We are going on vacation soon to visit family we rarely see, so I'm sure saying good bye to them will stir up a few days or of crazy. If he were not my own child I would not have been able to manage his care. He will turn 3 in October and whether it's age or other factors he is finally mellowing out a bit. Were he in daycare, I would hold no ill feelings to a provider that needed to be done.
daycare 01:28 PM 07-14-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You can't post that and then not tell us. Lol. I'm dying to know what you think BC.
knoxmomof2 06:13 PM 07-14-2017
I have done this for almost 5 years. I've had 1 like that. I think her parents' style just made things worse as well. She had no fear! She would go barreling down the hill in my backyard and just - plop- land facedown in the grass. (The positive was that it didn't faze her, so no dramatic fits afterward.) I can't explain it all, but I just didn't connect with her. Her parents not paying me made it very easy to finally just term. I held on longer than I should have.
KayB 08:05 AM 07-15-2017
Now you HAVE to make us sad!! Tell us!!! Pleeeaaaaasseee.....
Mummy101 09:17 AM 07-16-2017
BlackCat you are always helpful. There is a big difference between witty and catty. I was referring to "OMG all children a treasures, you monster!" type comments lol
Blackcat31 07:18 AM 07-17-2017
Originally Posted by Mummy101:
There is a big difference between witty and catty.
...and I was being neither.

If you want my honest opinion I think you need to refresh your idea of what appropriate behavior for a 2 year is and isn't.

Many of your comments in regards to his "annoying" behavior demonstrate your lack of knowledge in regards to developmentally appropriate practices. The expectations need to be realigned.

To teach means finding the KEY (adapting, altering or arranging) to meet the needs for all learning styles.

....and that was not said with any negativity or intent to cause you sadness.
daycare 07:39 AM 07-17-2017

If you want my honest opinion I think you need to refresh your idea of what appropriate behavior for a 2 year is and isn't.

Many of your comments in regards to his "annoying" behavior demonstrate your lack of knowledge in regards to developmentally appropriate practices. The expectations need to be realigned.

To teach means finding the KEY (adapting, altering or arranging) to meet the needs for all learning styles.

I guess I didn't realize how young the child is. that was a very good point BC

I mostly 3 and 4.5 year olds. I have new guy that just turned two and he does very well in my program, but I also don't expose him to the same things I do the other kids nor do I expect him to do what they can.

are you able to manage something where the other kids can do painting and playdough, while the 2 year old rug plays with toys within his developmental expectations??
Mummy101 08:17 AM 07-17-2017

Dude, I was giving you a compliment. (Witty- showing or characterized by quick and inventive verbal humor.) It is so hard to ascertain intention and tone via text conversation. My intended tone is playful neutrality.

Thank you and while I appreciate your input, I have already made clear, this is not an issue of age. I am sorry if that type of behavior is a usual occurrence with your little ones, that must be exhausting!

I have never encountered this level of behavior issues from other kiddos and have much for comparison. None of the other children, same age, act this way. It is a matter of compatibility for the group and I wondered if “sticking it out” was appropriate.

How would you feel if this DCK was repeatedly bullying your child and showed no sign of improvement? How would you feel if you were the DCK in questions parent and was repeatedly told DCK had to play separately again today because of the behavior? It is not fair to DCK or the group.
Not all of us are willing to work with this behavior and yay, we don’t have to!!!
Mummy101 08:25 AM 07-17-2017
Maybe a change in direction. How about parenting styles... How does everyone handle permissive parents. Do you allow this behavior to overlap, or nip it in the bud?

My real life example is. "If you stop yelling, I will give you and Oreo." BC, you must see relation to the behavior in this at least?
daycare 08:38 AM 07-17-2017
Maybe a change in direction. How about parenting styles... How does everyone handle permissive parents. Do you allow this behavior to overlap, or nip it in the bud?

My real life example is. "If you stop yelling, I will give you and Oreo." BC, you must see relation to the behavior in this at least?
I bite my tongue every time I hear or see that..
Just the other day at target I heard a mom say, if you stop whining Ill let you get the doll and the dress.??????? WHHHAAAATTTT!!

It does really sound like this child just isn't ready for your group, despite age.
Blackcat31 08:59 AM 07-17-2017
Dude, I was giving you a compliment. (Witty- showing or characterized by quick and inventive verbal humor.) It is so hard to ascertain intention and tone via text conversation. My intended tone is playful neutrality.
Thank you.
I was however, not offended by anything you said or feeling as though I misunderstood you... and trust me I totally understand the difficulty in comprehending intention or tone in written prose....I've been around the block here a time or two.

Thank you and while I appreciate your input, I have already made clear, this is not an issue of age. I am sorry if that type of behavior is a usual occurrence with your little ones, that must be exhausting!

It's not exhausting at all My toddlers do behave for the most part, in a similar way but because my environment and my expectations are appropriate for the age, it's not an issue and it's not exhausting for me at all....

I AM curious though as to how you have concluded that this is not an age issue. (other than your personal experiences).
What exactly has lead you to believe this is not age related? If there is more to the story, please share.
Perhaps I will ultimately see things from your perspective but so far from what you have shared, I DO see these behaviors as age related.

I have never encountered this level of behavior issues from other kiddos and have much for comparison. None of the other children, same age, act this way. It is a matter of compatibility for the group and I wondered if “sticking it out” was appropriate.
Just because you have never encountered such behaviors doesn't mean it's not normal, age appropriate or that it's him.

It just means YOU have never encountered this before.

I am curious though... what is "much" for comparison?
What is your experience in early childhood?

How would you feel if this DCK was repeatedly bullying your child and showed no sign of improvement?
Is it YOUR child he is "bullying"?

I honestly don't feel that is an appropriate description for his behaviors as he first needs to understand and have mastered certain skills in order to know how to be a bully to others. Perspective thinking isn't something he has an experience with so bullying is probably not the correct term here.

If it were MY child, I would want to know what the provider is doing to curb or eliminate the behaviors toward my child but I would not place blame on the child themselves but instead look to the environment (including the caregiver/teacher) as to the root or cause of the behavior.

How would you feel if you were the DCK in questions parent and was repeatedly told DCK had to play separately again today because of the behavior?
If I were the DCB's parent and was repeated told my child again had to play separately, I'd be utilizing my lunch hour and any other free time I had to find alternate care for my child. I would simply assume that your program and my child are not a good fit. NOT that either is faulty...just not good together.

It is not fair to DCK or the group.
Not all of us are willing to work with this behavior and yay, we don’t have to!!!
Nope we definitely don't have to so if you feel this child does not meet YOUR expectations of what a 2 year old is, then by all means terminate.

It would probably be in his best interest.
Mummy101 09:04 AM 07-17-2017
I guess I didn't realize how young the child is. that was a very good point BC

I mostly 3 and 4.5 year olds. I have new guy that just turned two and he does very well in my program, but I also don't expose him to the same things I do the other kids nor do I expect him to do what they can.

are you able to manage something where the other kids can do painting and playdough, while the 2 year old rug plays with toys within his developmental expectations??
All my other 2.5s play well with playdough, paint, color and participate in group activities to their ability. I am obviously not sitting them down to do algebra problems. It is perfectly reasonable and developmentally appropriate to allow a 2.5yo to experiment with paint, dirt, bubbles, the works! They learn through exposure. Even my one-year old paints! DCK would not be “willing” to play on the floor while the other children participated. Do you exclude willing participants? I do when it goes in the mouth. In this business, (for most of us) compatibility is EVERYTHING. I agree with previous statements. DCK needs a different environment. One with multiple teachers; a center.
Blackcat31 09:30 AM 07-17-2017

I do see the relation.....but THAT is the key.

Parents can parent in whatever manner they choose to parent and the result is they reap what they sew.

The same is applicable to you.

The environment and the expectations set the child up for failure or success.
The best part is YOU get to decide which of those behaviors you want to encourage or discourage.

I have A LOT of parents that don't parent, permissively parent, helicopter parent and do all sorts of things that make me roll my eyes (hopefully not outloud ) but I impact the child's behaviors here by the rules, expectations and physical set up of my environment REGARDLESS of parenting style at home. (of course there will always be exceptions but 99% of the kids I have are parented vastly different at home yet display different behaviors here).

"If you stop yelling I will give you an Oreo...."

translates to:

If you do X, you will get Y. That works in positive ways too! You just have to be 2 steps ahead of him. We all get from Point A to Point B but the roads we take to get there are all different and not everyone travels the freeway.
Some take the roads less traveled.

Here is a personal example I have shared numerous times (so I'll give the Cliff Note's version):

I have 2 children of my own.

When entering a store I told my daughter if she behaved and followed the rules she could earn $1 to spend upon checking out at the end of our shopping excursion. She understood and complied with that version of "If you stop yelling I will give you an Oreo" Easy peasy.

My son was given the same rules and expectations. He would usually lose the reward within 3 minutes of entering the store. Then I figured out the issue. I was expecting him to travel from A to B in the same manner as my daughter. MISTAKE.

So I tried another approach but with the same expectations and outcome.

Upon entering the store I gave my son 10 dimes. I told him each time I had to redirect him or remind him of the rules he would have to give me a dime. Then and only IF he had enough money left at the check out he could buy a reward.

So in BOTH cases I achieved the same results but did so completely differently.

There is a saying I learned very early on in my journey towards early childhood education......(however let me preface it by saying I am NOT saying this to YOU, just that it helped me understand how to change my thought process when it came to teaching, directing, redirecting an educating kids)

This statement made HUGE impact in how I not only operate my business but in how I teach the children in my care and manage challenging behaviors.

daycare 09:32 AM 07-17-2017
All my other 2.5s play well with playdough, paint, color and participate in group activities to their ability. I am obviously not sitting them down to do algebra problems. It is perfectly reasonable and developmentally appropriate to allow a 2.5yo to experiment with paint, dirt, bubbles, the works! They learn through exposure. Even my one-year old paints! DCK would not be “willing” to play on the floor while the other children participated. Do you exclude willing participants? I do when it goes in the mouth. In this business, (for most of us) compatibility is EVERYTHING. I agree with previous statements. DCK needs a different environment. One with multiple teachers; a center.
I agree that it is developmentally appropriate to allow a 2.5 year old to experiment with everything, but some just can't. I have that kid now. so instead I just give him his own play space, but looks like you already tried that and it didn't work.

I am starting to see more and more kids that don't want to paint, get dirty, experiment and etc. Wonder if the video game/ipad has something to do with this. Parents don't expose them to other things so they don't know how to play or participate in anyway. I have a 4 year old that is like this right now. But it's not his fault that he has not been provided opportunities to learn these things, it is the parents.

I think you know what you want to do and also agree sounds like a different environment with more adults is what this kid needs.
Mummy101 10:01 AM 07-17-2017
Thank you.
I was however, not offended by anything you said or feeling as though I misunderstood you... and trust me I totally understand the difficulty in comprehending intention or tone in written prose....I've been around the block here a time or two.

It's not exhausting at all My toddlers do behave for the most part, in a similar way but because my environment and my expectations are appropriate for the age, it's not an issue and it's not exhausting for me at all....

I AM curious though as to how you have concluded that this is not an age issue. (other than your personal experiences).
What exactly has lead you to believe this is not age related? If there is more to the story, please share.
Perhaps I will ultimately see things from your perspective but so far from what you have shared, I DO see these behaviors as age related.

Just because you have never encountered such behaviors doesn't mean it's not normal, age appropriate or that it's him.

It just means YOU have never encountered this before.

I am curious though... what is "much" for comparison?
What is your experience in early childhood?

Is it YOUR child he is "bullying"?

I honestly don't feel that is an appropriate description for his behaviors as he first needs to understand and have mastered certain skills in order to know how to be a bully to others. Perspective thinking isn't something he has an experience with so bullying is probably not the correct term here.

If it were MY child, I would want to know what the provider is doing to curb or eliminate the behaviors toward my child but I would not place blame on the child themselves but instead look to the environment (including the caregiver/teacher) as to the root or cause of the behavior.

If I were the DCB's parent and was repeated told my child again had to play separately, I'd be utilizing my lunch hour and any other free time I had to find alternate care for my child. I would simply assume that your program and my child are not a good fit. NOT that either is faulty...just not good together.

Nope we definitely don't have to so if you feel this child does not meet YOUR expectations of what a 2 year old is, then by all means terminate.

It would probably be in his best interest.
Nine years family center, 7 years Mom x3. Let me guess, yours is more… and you will tell us all about it. (That was me being catty. Sarcastically of course)

Not my kids, they walk away. To bully implies intent, yes. DCK is certainly able to be held accountable for actions at this age. DCK is not corrected at home.

I definitely agree with and respect your point. Some two and a half year olds do act this way. However, “refreshing my idea of typical behavior” will not change the fact that the behavior is driving everyone bananas. Kiddo needs a center where DCK won’t become excluded. The DCKs just being two (and a half) cliché’ does not suit this circumstance. I want DCK to get the best care possible and I don’t think my place is it anymore. A fit we are not.
Mummy101 10:03 AM 07-17-2017
I agree that it is developmentally appropriate to allow a 2.5 year old to experiment with everything, but some just can't. I have that kid now. so instead I just give him his own play space, but looks like you already tried that and it didn't work.

I am starting to see more and more kids that don't want to paint, get dirty, experiment and etc. Wonder if the video game/ipad has something to do with this. Parents don't expose them to other things so they don't know how to play or participate in anyway. I have a 4 year old that is like this right now. But it's not his fault that he has not been provided opportunities to learn these things, it is the parents.

I think you know what you want to do and also agree sounds like a different environment with more adults is what this kid needs.
That is a very insightful point. Generations are certainly shifting in focus! TV has become an activity.
Mummy101 10:12 AM 07-17-2017
I do see the relation.....but THAT is the key.

Parents can parent in whatever manner they choose to parent and the result is they reap what they sew.

The same is applicable to you.

The environment and the expectations set the child up for failure or success.
The best part is YOU get to decide which of those behaviors you want to encourage or discourage.

I have A LOT of parents that don't parent, permissively parent, helicopter parent and do all sorts of things that make me roll my eyes (hopefully not outloud ) but I impact the child's behaviors here by the rules, expectations and physical set up of my environment REGARDLESS of parenting style at home. (of course there will always be exceptions but 99% of the kids I have are parented vastly different at home yet display different behaviors here).

"If you stop yelling I will give you an Oreo...."

translates to:

If you do X, you will get Y. That works in positive ways too! You just have to be 2 steps ahead of him. We all get from Point A to Point B but the roads we take to get there are all different and not everyone travels the freeway.
Some take the roads less traveled.

Here is a personal example I have shared numerous times (so I'll give the Cliff Note's version):

I have 2 children of my own.

When entering a store I told my daughter if she behaved and followed the rules she could earn $1 to spend upon checking out at the end of our shopping excursion. She understood and complied with that version of "If you stop yelling I will give you an Oreo" Easy peasy.

My son was given the same rules and expectations. He would usually lose the reward within 3 minutes of entering the store. Then I figured out the issue. I was expecting him to travel from A to B in the same manner as my daughter. MISTAKE.

So I tried another approach but with the same expectations and outcome.

Upon entering the store I gave my son 10 dimes. I told him each time I had to redirect him or remind him of the rules he would have to give me a dime. Then and only IF he had enough money left at the check out he could buy a reward.

So in BOTH cases I achieved the same results but did so completely differently.

There is a saying I learned very early on in my journey towards early childhood education......(however let me preface it by saying I am NOT saying this to YOU, just that it helped me understand how to change my thought process when it came to teaching, directing, redirecting an educating kids)

This statement made HUGE impact in how I not only operate my business but in how I teach the children in my care and manage challenging behaviors.

Yes, you definitely seem firm and confident! That is paramount. I need to cultivate that in working with the parents.
Annalee 10:21 AM 07-17-2017
Yes, you definitely seem firm and confident! That is paramount. I need to cultivate that in working with the parents.
There is a professional way to be firm and confident. I have found this persona with a non-negotiable approach reaps great dividends. Every time I have tried to "bend" in the name of being "nice" it comes back to bite me. Saying what I mean and meaning what I say works better. Not saying I have mastered this but after 25 years in FCC, I am much better at it!
Mummy101 10:30 AM 07-17-2017
Originally Posted by Annalee:
There is a professional way to be firm and confident. I have found this persona with a non-negotiable approach reaps great dividends. Every time I have tried to "bend" in the name of being "nice" it comes back to bite me. Saying what I mean and meaning what I say works better. Not saying I have mastered this but after 25 years in FCC, I am much better at it!
I can't wait to reach that point. I truly admire those of you with a backbone!
Blackcat31 01:06 PM 07-17-2017
Nine years family center, 7 years Mom x3. Let me guess, yours is more… and you will tell us all about it. (That was me being catty. Sarcastically of course)
No, I am not going to tell you all about it.

I am not the one asking for advice.

Not my kids, they walk away. To bully implies intent, yes. DCK is certainly able to be held accountable for actions at this age. DCK is not corrected at home.
I agree that he is able to be held accountable for his actions but only those he knows/understands and is able to comprehend.

Do you believe DCB's behavior is solely dependent on the fact that he's not corrected at home?

I definitely agree with and respect your point. Some two and a half year olds do act this way. However, “refreshing my idea of typical behavior” will not change the fact that the behavior is driving everyone bananas. Kiddo needs a center where DCK won’t become excluded. The DCKs just being two (and a half) cliché’ does not suit this circumstance. I want DCK to get the best care possible and I don’t think my place is it anymore. A fit we are not.
I suggested you refresh your knowledge of appropriate behaviors for this age. Not your idea of typical behaviors.

However, my point was, his behavior IS appropriate for his age. Not necessarily typical but appropriate nonetheless.
Josiegirl 04:05 AM 07-18-2017
It boils down to the fact that this particular child is a handful, you have much better days without him there, and every post here from you, indicates you want and need to let him go. There is nothing wrong with that. Let go of the guilt, tell dcm/dcd you believe he would do much better within a different group. Dcb will do fine, dcf will find a better fit and you will have more peaceful days. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Looking back there are several kiddos I should've taken that path with but I'm always second guessing myself, my methods, etc. So I've held onto them. They change and evolve as they age/mature. Sometimes in a good way, sometimes not. If the dcps and you are not in line with each other, it makes it that much more difficult to create a united front. It can work but it may be more difficult.

Wishing you best of luck with your little guy!!
LK5kids 04:34 AM 07-21-2017
My first thoughts were exactly the same as Black Cats.

He's only 2.25. I've had many 18 month olds that loved to paint but this kiddo isn't ready and and it is developmentally appropriate. Now if he was 4 and putting the paintbrush in his mouth that wouldn't be dev. appropriate.

Now it wouldn't bother me he wasn't ready to paint or sit in circle time. And the hoarding of toys and thinking all toys are "his" made me think of this poem that has been around a long time time but still holds true!

TODDLER’S RULES
1.1- If I want it, it's mine
2- If it's in my hand, it's mine
3- If I can take it away from
you, it's mine
4- If I had it a little while ago, it's mine
5- If it's mine, it must never appear
to be yours in any way
6- If we are building something together,
all the pieces are mine
7- If it just looks like mine, it's mine
8- If I think it's mine, it's mine
9- If I give it to you and change
my mind later, it's mine
10- Once it's mine it will never belong
to anyone else, no matter what

Author: Unknown

That said it isn't easy when it gets extreme!

You also said he hits and pushes while trying to take toys. That's hard to deal with and you have to decide if you have the fortitude to get him beyond this stage.

Waking up other kids at nap would be my cracking point. So yes, this kiddo is a handful.

One year I had all early 2's and under except one 4 yr old girl. The 2's never played with toys really. All girls except one 14 mo. Boy. While they loved playdoh, painting, puzzles , circle time the only other thing they liked to do was dump out toys, walk around pushing the grocery carts and putting dress up clothes on.

All my lovely toys just SAT! I longed for the day they would play with the doll house, kitchen or little people, etc.

They'd dump everything, which I understood so I cut way back on how much was in a bin. In the kitchen....2 plates, a few pieces of food and a frying pan, 6 little people in a bin not 15, etc.

I got out 5 gallon Easter pails ( like ice cream buckets) and they were in heaven toting around those few items from the few bins I had out. They'd dump and put the things back and carry them around and dump again or put the items in a grocery cart & push them around. Around and around they'd push those carts. They loved it.

I put out mainly self contained toys with only a few pieces or no pieces like a bead maze.

I had this beautiful Melissa and Doug wooden block village. The 14 mo. Boy wanted to just bang the blocks together and they were getting chipped. I wanted builders and got a smasher which was really so appropriate!!!

I had to adapt what I envisioned big time. I'd never had such a young group.

If I had such a young group again I'd have way different expectations.
Mummy101 08:00 AM 07-21-2017
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
My first thoughts were exactly the same as Black Cats.

He's only 2.25. I've had many 18 month olds that loved to paint but this kiddo isn't ready and and it is developmentally appropriate. Now if he was 4 and putting the paintbrush in his mouth that wouldn't be dev. appropriate.

Now it wouldn't bother me he wasn't ready to paint or sit in circle time. And the hoarding of toys and thinking all toys are "his" made me think of this poem that has been around a long time time but still holds true!

TODDLER’S RULES
1.1- If I want it, it's mine
2- If it's in my hand, it's mine
3- If I can take it away from
you, it's mine
4- If I had it a little while ago, it's mine
5- If it's mine, it must never appear
to be yours in any way
6- If we are building something together,
all the pieces are mine
7- If it just looks like mine, it's mine
8- If I think it's mine, it's mine
9- If I give it to you and change
my mind later, it's mine
10- Once it's mine it will never belong
to anyone else, no matter what

Author: Unknown

That said it isn't easy when it gets extreme!

You also said he hits and pushes while trying to take toys. That's hard to deal with and you have to decide if you have the fortitude to get him beyond this stage.

Waking up other kids at nap would be my cracking point. So yes, this kiddo is a handful.

One year I had all early 2's and under except one 4 yr old girl. The 2's never played with toys really. All girls except one 14 mo. Boy. While they loved playdoh, painting, puzzles , circle time the only other thing they liked to do was dump out toys, walk around pushing the grocery carts and putting dress up clothes on.

All my lovely toys just SAT! I longed for the day they would play with the doll house, kitchen or little people, etc.

They'd dump everything, which I understood so I cut way back on how much was in a bin. In the kitchen....2 plates, a few pieces of food and a frying pan, 6 little people in a bin not 15, etc.

I got out 5 gallon Easter pails ( like ice cream buckets) and they were in heaven toting around those few items from the few bins I had out. They'd dump and put the things back and carry them around and dump again or put the items in a grocery cart & push them around. Around and around they'd push those carts. They loved it.

I put out mainly self contained toys with only a few pieces or no pieces like a bead maze.

I had this beautiful Melissa and Doug wooden block village. The 14 mo. Boy wanted to just bang the blocks together and they were getting chipped. I wanted builders and got a smasher which was really so appropriate!!!

I had to adapt what I envisioned big time. I'd never had such a young group.

If I had such a young group again I'd have way different expectations.
Yes, hand full is a nice euphemism.

They all go through the mine phase but all in different ways. DCK literally chases the other children for their toys. The tantrum style crying when redirected, hoarding and yelling is unpleasant, way too intense. This is hard to explain I guess, it is not just the typical toddler shenanigans. DCKs signature move is running full speed and belly bumping the other children…for fun. It’s also fine with me if the littles don’t want to sit for circle time. What’s not Ok with me however is disrupting it for everyone else. I literally cannot read a story to the other children because of the sound emanating from DCK and distracting behavior.

If hurting the other children, tearing EVERY single book off of the three-tier shelf and then tearing the books pages, deconstructing the other bookshelf, ripping the pipe insulation from the radiator, tossing all the magazines and ripping those as well and coloring on the floor is acceptable, I would hate to think what inappropriate behavior looks like to some of you. (And this was just yesterday!) All of this while my back is turned for two seconds while I am making snack or preparing our projects.

This child must be looked at 100% of the time or destruction will occur. It is not like my program is lacking activities, I have a duplex and the entire downstairs apartment is for the kiddos! It is set up like a center for goodness sake. On top of the constant stomping, sound effects and naptime nonsense, DCP gets free daycare but drops off every week on days off to go shopping or take a nap. Oh yah, and picks up two hours after getting out of work for the day, every day.

All around we are just not a “fit”. Some providers have no issue dealing with these things, but I do! I have recommended a center (with large staff!) to DCP.
Buttercup 05:53 PM 08-13-2017
Honestly, not every child does well in group care. There were multiple children at the center I used to work at who I think just couldn't handle all the stimulation of a large group of kids. Sounds like this child might need a nanny, or maybe a provider who only takes a few kids at a time. If your gut says he's not a good fit, term him! You know him better than we do
hwichlaz 02:14 PM 08-14-2017
I haven't read all of the replies but I have a few things to say.

While all of those are age appropriate behaviors...some kids are just "more intensely 2 than other kids" and if you don't have a bond with that child it makes it harder to tolerate and work with.

I feel VERY strongly that at this age...before school age, children deserve to be taken care of by people that love and adore them. And if you have negative feelings about them they can feel it, and it has a negative effect on their behavior.

So this little one needs to be cared for by someone else, by someone that will love and adore him like they would their own nephew (I never say son/daughter because that's too much)
Mom2Two 04:28 PM 08-15-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I haven't read all of the replies but I have a few things to say.

While all of those are age appropriate behaviors...some kids are just "more intensely 2 than other kids" and if you don't have a bond with that child it makes it harder to tolerate and work with.
That's a good way of putting it.

OP I hope you can think of a way to make this work out for you. Hugs!
NiNi.R. 12:23 PM 08-16-2017

How many of you have termed for just plain not liking a child? (Keep in mind, not all adult personalities are compatible either, it’s really the same thing) While I realize this can be a touchy subject, I am seeking tried and true advice, please refrain from negativity, it makes me sad. I am never interested in partaking in catty banter. We are all on the same team here!

I could mention all the annoying qualities the DCK (age 2 ¼) possesses but that would take forever. OK ok If you insist, I will name just a few…
• Rips every toy off the shelf and onto the floor in a matter of 5 minutes
• Cannot play nicely with other children, constantly takes toys, hits, pushes, cries when corrected and yells. Thinks all toys are “mine”. Hoards toys.
• Needless to say, unstructured or “free play” is out of the question for this one. Oh, but structured activities are out too, as DCK will not sit with the group for 5 seconds without disrupting the entire activity… forget circle time.
• Cannot use paint, markers or anything really that doesn’t go in the mouth, because it will.
• Constantly making NOISE... literally nonstop. Humming, repeating, yelling, laughing
• Always having to take a sit and play separate from other children due to behavior issues
• Riles up other children
• Wakes up the other children during nap

The list goes on forever it seems and it is such a pleasant environment when this child is not here for the day. The odd thing is, the DCK is actually a really good listener and can be very sweet. None of the obnoxious behavior is done aggressively, however, I am CONSTANTLY redirecting and I am exhausted mentally.
I cared for a child just like this, so I think I know what you mean. She started coming to me at 6 weeks of age. As she grew her "terrible two" behavior seemed to go beyond the scope of her peers. Even to myself, it is/was hard to describe it, without it sounding like an "age" problem, it just always seemed like more. Her parents were very permissive. However I'd learned throughout the years that eventually, kids learn what is acceptable at home and what is acceptable at daycare. Sometimes it just takes some trial and error. Her disruptive behavior continued though as she grew, and when I discussed with the parents I would learn she was behaving far worse at home. Leaving them with very little sympathy to correct her behavior at daycare. I love that girl to death though and 50 hours a week, every week, until she went off to Kindergarten, I worked to implement positive behaviors. Most days were successful but very exhausting. Once she was no longer apart of our group, I felt a relief I didn't even realize I needed at the time. I hate saying it but with her absence came a positive change overall for my program, and it changed the way I handled things from there on out.

She is in 2nd grade now and while she still struggles, being treated for ADHD has helped her improve. By saying this, I'm not suggesting in anyway that's the fix. My point is, in my case, it did turn out to be quite a mixture of things that contributed to her exhausting behaviors. I think it all boils down to what you feel like you can handle and what is best for your program and all of the children.
Tags:rules, toddlers
Reply Up