Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Accident Reports?
Greenshadow 01:18 PM 01-10-2011
Do you give out an accident report if a child gets hurt in care? I had a dcb, the screamer, get pummeled by two 2 year olds today. It was an accident but it hurt the dcb's eye enough to bruise it alittle and put a few scrapes on his face. It looks worse than I think it actually was. I felt awful about it and hopefully fixed the issue and put the metal trucks outside and also put foam around the area where the boy fell. Should I give an accident report to the mother as well as verbally telling her what happened? She came by already and picked him up and I told her what happened. She was more concerned that it wasnt done on purpose than that he has a small shiner on his face. I wrote out a report but havent given her one yet. Should I? Im not a licensed daycare home. Not that that matters but Im just putting that out there.
lvt77 01:47 PM 01-10-2011
good question. I dont think that she needs a report of it, you just need to make sure that she signs the one that you will keep in his file so that you have proof you told her. Also be aware that it is illegal for you to tell the parent the name of the child that hurt their child. This way, the parent cant Retaliate on that child or their parents....
momatheart 03:42 PM 01-10-2011
right this down and what you told mom at pick up and her reaction. Even on the paper I would leave off the other children involved but do list that 2 other children were involoved.
Greenshadow 04:40 PM 01-10-2011
Thanks. I did tell her that it was two of the children but she doesnt know what two there are. (I only have five in my care and one is an infant so its not difficult to do the math, but I didnt mention who to her anyway).

One more question. Why have her sign it? Whats the signature for? That she knows I told her about it? Not that she is okay with it but just that I told her about it?
momatheart 04:49 PM 01-10-2011
The signature is to basically protect you. It is your proof that you told her what happened. As you will have it all written down on the form.
grandmom 05:47 PM 01-10-2011
Check your licensing regs. You may be required to document.

The older I get, the more I document. My form is provided by the state and requires the parent signature. Then I make a copy for them, and the original goes in the file.

A bump, I don't document. A shiner, or blood, yes.
Tags:accident, accident report
Reply Up