Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training Question
kitkat 09:15 AM 11-01-2010
So dcg came in pull ups today. Dcm called and asked if dcd told me...NO! So basically, she's been going potty on the toilet when put on at home and I will occassionally put her on when she's here, but I don't force her (I ask if she wants to go and if she's says yes, then we go, if no, then we don't). Apparently she pooped on the toilet at home over the weekend a few times. I'm not clear if mom is really starting to potty train or not. I'm going to talk to her more at pick up. I had her go potty after snack time and she went a tiny bit, but her pull up was wet. I asked her an hour later if she needed to go and said no, so I didn't make her go. Had her go 30 minutes later and it was just a tiny bit, but pull up was wet again.

Here's my question: When you start training, do you make them go after a certain amount of time, or do you ask and leave it up to them?

I'm so torn because it's not clear right now if mom is really committed to training or if she just wants to me take her potty b/c she'll go when she's put on the toilet. I don't mind taking her every hour if we're really starting training. I know some people say it needs to be started at home, but I'm ok starting it here b/c I know she really is going when she's at home. Plus, she's here more hours a day than at home, so to me, it just makes sense to start here as long as parents are really following through at home.

Another question: How long do you give the process before deciding it's time to quit and try again later? How long do you give them of setting a time of when to go and letting them just tell you when they need to go?

It's been a few years since I've had to potty train, so I feel like I'm really out of practice! Thanks for the advice!
kitkat 09:16 AM 11-01-2010
Forgot to mention dcg is 2 1/2.
DCMomOf3 10:28 AM 11-01-2010
i never ask, I say it's potty time. I start at every 30 minutes and if they are still dry, add a few more until I can get an accurate guess on how long they can hold their bladder. For me when they are younger, I've found they go about every 45 minutes.
DCMomOf3 10:29 AM 11-01-2010
Oh, and after a few days you will get a vibe if they are ready or not. If you are unsure, they probably aren't totally ready yet.
BentleysBands 10:51 AM 11-01-2010
i remind every 10-15mins and take to potty every 30 mins in the beginning...i've potty trained a many kids and most never told me, i just took...for me, it takes a few days to be fully trained IF they are ready....i don't agree when ppl say after a month 'we are potty training' ....then they aren't ready, duh!
TGT09 01:07 PM 11-01-2010
Originally Posted by Quincy:
i never ask, I say it's potty time. I start at every 30 minutes and if they are still dry, add a few more until I can get an accurate guess on how long they can hold their bladder. For me when they are younger, I've found they go about every 45 minutes.
This exactly. Depending on how the child does, I will almost never wait longer than an hour to ask. Although, I did have 1 dcb who just doesn't pee very often so I ended up asking him every 90 minutes or so.
kitkat 02:36 PM 11-01-2010
I talked to mom at pick up. She asked if I thought dcg was ready and I said no. So, we're going to wait til she seems more ready and mom will keep putting her on the toilet at home. I'll ask when she's here if she wants to, but we aren't going to push it. I'm so relieved!
Unregistered 04:58 PM 11-01-2010
DCG at 2 and half is MORE then ready to train why would you say no if she has already showed her Mom she can use the potty at home then she can do it. You take them every hour and have them sit for 5 minutes then repeat and give lots of postive praise for going potty and when they go in there undies you tell them big boys or girls dont pee or poop in the undies they go in the potty. I have trained my 3 kids who at the time my 2 boys where 2 and half and my little girl was 1 years and 10 months old it only took a week. I have potty trained 3 daycare kids also two girls who where 2 years old and a boy who was 2 and half it also only took a week.
ninosqueridos 06:50 PM 11-01-2010
thank goodness they're not pushing it and they trust your instinct that she is not ready yet. and unregistered posted - you cannot simply tell readiness on AGE alone and ability to pee on the potty. it takes more than that.
Tags:potty training
Reply Up