Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pepsi and a Cereal Bar
sharlan 08:16 AM 11-05-2012
I always think people are making a big issue out of nothing when they complain about the kids coming in with a cookie, a piece of licorice, etc.

My 10 yo came in with a full can of Pepsi and a sugar laden cereal bar for breakfast this moring. Mom is super health conscious - goes to the gym 3 or 4 times a week, etc. and the kid has Pepsi for breakfast.
SilverSabre25 08:23 AM 11-05-2012
I'll take his pepsi...
Meyou 08:48 AM 11-05-2012
I'll admit my kids eat weird things for breakfast but they're always healthy. They eat leftovers alot but with milk or water or maaaaaybe hot chocolate or cider occasionally in the winter.
sharlan 08:53 AM 11-05-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I'll take his pepsi...
Maybe that's my issue, he didn't bring me one.

I have to laugh because every year Mom brings a bunch of Sunny Delights, toaster strudels, waffles, yogurt, etc, and he never eats any of it. He brings breakfast in hand every morning.
littlemissmuffet 09:03 AM 11-05-2012
I had a kid come in with a full bottle of Coke a few weeks ago. He just turned 3.

I am one of the providers that gets angry when I see kids eating garbage. I can see the effects that junk foods have on a child mentally, emotionally and physically - every single day. It's pure laziness when parents can't provide basic necessities for their own children such as REAL food.
Sugar Magnolia 10:42 AM 11-05-2012
I saw a little girl at the store, about 3 years old,.drinking something brown and carbonated..... Wait for it...OUT OF A BABY BOTTLE
CaliMom 10:50 AM 11-05-2012
I had a 3 yo DCB last week come in with coffee in his sippy cup! Really?? I dont even drink coffee!!!!
sharlan 10:55 AM 11-05-2012
Originally Posted by CaliMom:
I had a 3 yo DCB last week come in with coffee in his sippy cup! Really?? I dont even drink coffee!!!!
My 5 yo LOVES Papa's juice (Starbucks). My dh never buys him his own, but will let him drink some of his. I can't even stand the smell of coffee.
sharlan 10:55 AM 11-05-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I saw a little girl at the store, about 3 years old,.drinking something brown and carbonated..... Wait for it...OUT OF A BABY BOTTLE
Old enough to drink soda, but not old enough to drink out of a cup with a straw.
dave4him 12:35 PM 11-05-2012
They give sell those at the snack cart on fridays at my daugthers school.... its annoying because you expect a bit more healthy product supplied
SunshineMama 12:37 PM 11-05-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
WHAT!?!
SunshineMama 12:38 PM 11-05-2012
Originally Posted by CaliMom:
As if a 3 year old weren't energetic enough...let's send him to daycare with coffee! OMG I think I would turn them awa at the door
CaliMom 01:23 PM 11-05-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
As if a 3 year old weren't energetic enough...let's send him to daycare with coffee! OMG I think I would turn them awa at the door
Exactly!! I assumed there was milk in the cup but boy was I wrong. I can't stand the smell of coffee either!
littlemissmuffet 01:25 PM 11-05-2012
Parents putting coffee in BABIES bottles and children's cups is actually way more common than one would think. Every provider that's worked in a center that I know personally has seen it. What would ever make a parent think this is ok?
Blackcat31 02:10 PM 11-05-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
What would ever make a parent think this is ok?
Because if one looks hard enough you can find evidence of anything being good for you (and kids) in one way or another.

Is Coffee Good for Kids?

According to one researcher – Dr. Tomas DePaulis – many parents who keep their kids as far away from coffee as possible could be wrong. He says coffee isn’t that bad for kids and, like in adults, it can help improve concentration and may help children do a little better on tests for this reason.

In an interesting finding from Brazil, kids who drink coffee with milk are less likely to have depression than other children.

Read more: Kids & Coffee http://www.kidzworld.com/article/170...#ixzz2BO976VGm
sharlan 02:19 PM 11-05-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Because if one looks hard enough you can find evidence of anything being good for you (and kids) in one way or another.

Is Coffee Good for Kids?

According to one researcher – Dr. Tomas DePaulis – many parents who keep their kids as far away from coffee as possible could be wrong. He says coffee isn’t that bad for kids and, like in adults, it can help improve concentration and may help children do a little better on tests for this reason.

In an interesting finding from Brazil, kids who drink coffee with milk are less likely to have depression than other children.

Read more: Kids & Coffee http://www.kidzworld.com/article/170...#ixzz2BO976VGm
Actually, my youngest was a poor sleeper at 2/3. Her pediatrician had us giving her a small amount of coffee with warm milk at night. He said that coffee actually had the opposite effect on children than it did on adults. She liked it then and it worked. Today she hates coffee as does my other daughter.

I don't see any difference in behavior for my grandson when he gets ahold of "papa's juice".
Angelmichelle 06:32 PM 11-05-2012
We had a little girl whose parents would send her with a sippy cup of red or grape "juice" (Kool-aid), a mayonnaise or peanut butter and fluff sandwich, and a mandarin orange fruit cup when she came for just half the day (she had outpatient therapy in the afternoon and left before lunchtime, so we fed her early). I was so disgusted that finally my assistant started making her a box lunch at the beginning of the day and telling DCD we would feed her here to comply with CACFP. A mayo sandwich? Really?!!!
littlemissmuffet 06:49 PM 11-05-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Actually, my youngest was a poor sleeper at 2/3. Her pediatrician had us giving her a small amount of coffee with warm milk at night. He said that coffee actually had the opposite effect on children than it did on adults. She liked it then and it worked. Today she hates coffee as does my other daughter.

I don't see any difference in behavior for my grandson when he gets ahold of "papa's juice".
That's completely differemt from giving a BABY or child an entire bottle or cup of coffee.
Lyss 07:28 PM 11-05-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Seriously!! I have 2.5yr old DCB that gets his own 12oz mocha when mom goes to Starbucks... really? Apparently "he doesn't like the hot chocolate they serve but loves a mocha!" I had to say no to that one when he showed up with it.

Said mom also sends DCB every morning with his sippy cup full of "vitamin water prescribed by dr for iron deficiency" which I recently just discovered is actually either monster or spark energy drink... No way the dr prescribed that! This DCM lies about medical stuff all the time though but energy drink? Really?
LK5kids 01:54 AM 11-06-2012
Originally Posted by Lyss:
Seriously!! I have 2.5yr old DCB that gets his own 12oz mocha when mom goes to Starbucks... really? Apparently "he doesn't like the hot chocolate they serve but loves a mocha!" I had to say no to that one when he showed up with it.

Said mom also sends DCB every morning with his sippy cup full of "vitamin water prescribed by dr for iron deficiency" which I recently just discovered is actually either monster or spark energy drink... No way the dr prescribed that! This DCM lies about medical stuff all the time though but energy drink? Really?
Oh. My. Gosh!!! That stuff (energy drinks) are so high in caffeine and sugar. ICK, ICK, Triple ICK! And a 12 oz. Starbuck and such a young child.
melskids 03:38 AM 11-06-2012
Originally Posted by Angelmichelle:
We had a little girl whose parents would send her with a sippy cup of red or grape "juice" (Kool-aid), a mayonnaise or peanut butter and fluff sandwich, and a mandarin orange fruit cup when she came for just half the day (she had outpatient therapy in the afternoon and left before lunchtime, so we fed her early). I was so disgusted that finally my assistant started making her a box lunch at the beginning of the day and telling DCD we would feed her here to comply with CACFP. A mayo sandwich? Really?!!!
I had to laugh...my son LOVES mayo sammies!

But he always gets a protein, fruit, and veggie on the side!
MN Mom 04:40 AM 11-06-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:

That's what my dad gave me on sleepless nights too and it worked! I am an avid coffee drinker now though.
kitykids3 04:54 AM 11-06-2012
I must be the odd ball out and maybe too strict, but I don't let the kids bring food/drink from home unless it is special diet food/milk or a treat for their birthday, and those are eaten at snack time.
There is no food or drink being consumed away from the table and I don't want kiddos wishing they had what 'Johnny' brought from home.
Kids have so much energy as it is, why do they need soda or energy drinks? I'm also a stickler for the nutrition for the kiddos though too, so I wouldn't give that stuff to them, but if parents want to outside of DC, then that's their choice.
littlemissmuffet 05:36 AM 11-06-2012
Originally Posted by amberln30:
I must be the odd ball out and maybe too strict, but I don't let the kids bring food/drink from home unless it is special diet food/milk or a treat for their birthday, and those are eaten at snack time.
There is no food or drink being consumed away from the table and I don't want kiddos wishing they had what 'Johnny' brought from home.
Kids have so much energy as it is, why do they need soda or energy drinks? I'm also a stickler for the nutrition for the kiddos though too, so I wouldn't give that stuff to them, but if parents want to outside of DC, then that's their choice.
Most of the providers here don't allow food/drink from outside - but that doesn't maean parents are going to listen. I am VERY strict about my outside food rule and at least 2-3 times a month a parent lets a kid try and sneak in with something
GrandmaDinasDaycare 12:52 PM 11-06-2012
I am enrolled with the food program and children aren't even allowed to bring food into the home daycare's let alone non compliance foods. I would have just taken it and put it away and sent it home with the child and explained to the mom the policy regarding outside food other than food for infants.

Miss Dina (Schaefer)
Owner of Grandma Dinas Daycare
Yreka, California
Country Kids 01:05 PM 11-06-2012
Really wired children (ADD/ADHD) if they have caffeine it will do the opposite of regular people and calm them down.

Ridiline is actually subscribed sometimes as a stimulant for people that have a lack of energy!
Blackcat31 01:28 PM 11-06-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Really wired children (ADD/ADHD) if they have caffeine it will do the opposite of regular people and calm them down.

Ridiline is actually subscribed sometimes as a stimulant for people that have a lack of energy!
I think you might have that part backwards.

Ritalin IS a stimulant but it targets a part of the brain and makes it slow down and work at a much slower pace. It also helps with concentration.

I have never heard of someone being prescribed Ritalin for LACK of energy.

There are hundreds/thousands of cases where people sell their Ritalin to others as an inexpensive version of speed.
Country Kids 01:34 PM 11-06-2012
I think you might have that part backwards.

Ritalin IS a stimulant but it targets a part of the brain and makes it slow down and work at a much slower pace. It also helps with concentration.

There are hundreds/thousands of cases where people sell their Ritalin to others as an inexpensive version of speed.
No its not backwards. If I had no energy I would want something to get me going so Ritalin would help speed me up.
Blackcat31 01:49 PM 11-06-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
No its not backwards. If I had no energy I would want something to get me going so Ritalin would help speed me up.

As I said, I have just never heard of someone actually being prescribed Ritalin for lack of energy.

It is usually only prescribed for people who are overly-energetic so they can calm down.

I know people take it as a substitute for speed but again, have never actually heard of it being prescribed to them.
littlemissmuffet 08:15 AM 11-07-2012
As I said, I have just never heard of someone actually being prescribed Ritalin for lack of energy.

It is usually only prescribed for people who are overly-energetic so they can calm down.

I know people take it as a substitute for speed but again, have never actually heard of it being prescribed to them.
It's true. I know of people who have been prescribed ritalin due to low energy and extreme fatigue from disorders like depression, SAD, fibromyalgia and norcolepsy!
Country Kids 08:20 AM 11-07-2012
It's true. I know of people who have been prescribed ritalin due to low energy and extreme fatigue from disorders like depression, SAD, fibromyalgia and norcolepsy!
Thanks for the response! I knew I had heard of this and I knew I had wanted to talk to my doctor one time about it for me but we tried another medication.
Blackcat31 08:23 AM 11-07-2012
I wasn't negating the fact that it could be prescibed. I was only saying I personally, have never heard of that.

I had an appt for my flu shot last night so I asked my doctor and he said it could absolutely be the case, but there are so many other more beneficial drugs available that would do the job better so he wouldn't personally prescibe Ritalin for lack of energy but then again, he is also one of those doctors who is less likely to prescribe Ritalin for anything so....
Tags:candy, coffee, junk food
Reply Up