Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Changing Tables
KEG123 07:35 AM 07-18-2011
Just wondering what kind you use? A typical baby changing table or a daycare specific changing table? What about the changing pad? Is it a regular pad that you can wipe down, or do you put a sheet/cover on it? I'm researching because right now all I have is a changing pad that I put on the floor to change diapers. Mine are mostly older, but still in diapers. Like, my 3 year old is still in diapers (although hopefully he won't be!) and 2-2 year olds, and a 19 month old. But I also am pregnant and having a baby in October.
Childminder 07:41 AM 07-18-2011
I use the wall mounted one from IKEA. I did recover the pad with vinyl though cause the other one wore out after washing it.
SilverSabre25 07:50 AM 07-18-2011
Right now I use a regular baby changing table with one of the regular baby changing pads on it (a contoured one). Someday I hope to get one of the wall-mounted changing tables, whether the affordable Ikea one or an expensive commercial one. There's plenty of space in the downstairs (daycare) bathroom for one.
SandeeAR 07:53 AM 07-18-2011
I use a regular baby changing table(Jenny Lind) with one of the regular baby changing pads on it (a contoured one). When they wear out, they are only $20 at Walmart. That is where I store all the diapers, wipes and extra clothing.

I'm to old to get up and down off the floor all day to change diapers
NiNi.R. 07:59 AM 07-18-2011
I have a small desk with shelves. I put a vinyl changing pad on the desk top then store a tote for each child on the shelves that has their extra diapers and wipes. I use the drawers below for each of the older children to store their nap blankets and extra outfits. It works out great!
KEG123 07:59 AM 07-18-2011
I'm just getting too PREGNANT to get up and down off the floor all day.
KEG123 08:03 AM 07-18-2011
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This is the changing table I'm looking at. One shelf could go to daycare kids' diapers, but we're cloth diapering this time so the other shelves will need to be cloth.
youretooloud 08:07 AM 07-18-2011
I use a heavy wooden changing table with shelves.

I use the shelves below to store the large packs of diapers the parents bring in August, and extra undies and clothes.
MarinaVanessa 09:35 AM 07-18-2011
I use a regular changing table. I've had it since my DD was born and then used it as a dresser. Since DC it went back to being a changing table. I'm saving up for a DC specific one (expensive one with the roll-out steps). I don't have a dedicated DC space, it's all shared with my family, so a wall mounted one sadly is out of the question but I do like the idea of being able tp move the changing table around when I want to.
Meeko 09:41 AM 07-18-2011
The bathroom we use is exclusively for the kids. So my husband built a table top to go over the bathtub. It's sturdy enough for him to jump up and down on and he's a BIG boy!
. I could have all 16 of my day care kids standing on it at one one and it would still be fine!!! I love it! Lots of room for wipes and supplies. We covered it in heavy vinyl so it wipes clean easily.

And we use the tub itself as a huge storage bin!
kimsdaycare 09:55 AM 07-18-2011
I have a recessed wall mounted one in my daycare bathroom. Saves a ton of space, I love it! I use a hanging mail sorter to hold the diapers for each child.

This is the table I have:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ZQGX5CSRVBE2FT

And pic of the mail sorter can be found in the slide show on this page:
http://first-friends.com/photos.aspx

I've also used a curved changing pad on top of the washer/dryer. It worked really well until I got front loaders with pedestals, which then made it too high for me.
Lianne 05:06 PM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by kimsdaycare:
I have a recessed wall mounted one in my daycare bathroom. Saves a ton of space, I love it! I use a hanging mail sorter to hold the diapers for each child.

This is the table I have:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ZQGX5CSRVBE2FT

And pic of the mail sorter can be found in the slide show on this page:
http://first-friends.com/photos.aspx

I've also used a curved changing pad on top of the washer/dryer. It worked really well until I got front loaders with pedestals, which then made it too high for me.
I looked through your photos and LOVED your art centre! What an excellent use of space! I loved your whole set up, in fact. Well done!
Lianne 05:09 PM 07-18-2011
I was using a regular change table but just ordered a wall mounted one. Ikea (at least in Canada) no longer sells the wall mounted change tables. Until the new change table comes/is installed, I'm changing diapers on the floor.
mac60 03:59 AM 07-19-2011
I have been trying to figure something out to use. I have always done it on the floor, but am also getting too old to get up and down on my knees. I also know I do not want to pick up kids that weight 25/35 pounds to place on a regular changing table. I have a 3 yr old now that is pry close to 40 pounds and still in diapers, no way I am going to pick him up.

Any suggestions? I can bend over to do it, just don't want to get on the floor on my knees, or have to lift up a big kid still in diapers.
KEG123 02:18 PM 07-19-2011
I'd rather pick up big kids, than sit on the ground. At least, anymore. My belly is soooo getting in the way. My son is 36 lbs and still in diapers. We're working on it. But... they do have the super expensive daycare changing tables with pull out stairs. Maybe you could get some sort of 3 step, stepstool for next to the changing table. You might have to lift them a little bit, but better than all the way.
SilverSabre25 02:34 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
I'd rather pick up big kids, than sit on the ground. At least, anymore. My belly is soooo getting in the way. My son is 36 lbs and still in diapers. We're working on it. But... they do have the super expensive daycare changing tables with pull out stairs. Maybe you could get some sort of 3 step, stepstool for next to the changing table. You might have to lift them a little bit, but better than all the way.
step stool is what I would suggest. Or get someone handy to build you a cute set of steps for them to get up to the changing table.
Crazy8 07:49 PM 07-19-2011
I have a regular changing table and have recently been looking for a new one just because mine is pretty worn out and I want to change the wood finish of the playroom. I wouldn't want a wall/commercial one - my daycare is meant to be a "home environment" so something like that just wouldn't fit in my decor.
I use the contoured pad on it w/out a cover. This way I can easily wipe it down. I buy a new pad at least yearly, I usually end up snagging something on it and it will start to rip.
I prefer the shelves under it as that is where I keep my nap mats and based on where mine is located if I had drawers instead of shelves I wouldn't be able to open them.
irishdancer 12:00 PM 07-20-2011
I purchased a wall mounted unit off of Ebay. It was a used one from a store that closed. Only $50. Takes up a lot less room. Also plastic so easy to clean. You might want to check on there.
KEG123 12:14 PM 07-20-2011
I won't be getting a wall mounted table. We rent and I'd like to not put unnecessary holes in the wall. Plus, as someone else said, it takes away from the "homey" atmosphere. I was mostly asking about the pad that goes on it, because I know it has to be wipable.
CheekyChick 02:09 PM 07-20-2011
For the infants, we use a regular (cherry stained) changing table with a vinyl pad. I purchased a cover, but couldn't use that because I was told it would have to be washed between EVERY change, even with a disposable changing pad under babies' bottom.

For the toddlers, I use a huge vinyl changing pad on the floor. Some of my toilet trainers are too long to fit on a standard size changing table.
CheekyChick 02:14 PM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
I have been trying to figure something out to use. I have always done it on the floor, but am also getting too old to get up and down on my knees. I also know I do not want to pick up kids that weight 25/35 pounds to place on a regular changing table. I have a 3 yr old now that is pry close to 40 pounds and still in diapers, no way I am going to pick him up.

Any suggestions? I can bend over to do it, just don't want to get on the floor on my knees, or have to lift up a big kid still in diapers.
They only thing I can think of, is the commercial type changing tables with stairs. I would love to get one, but they're too expensive. As far as your knees, what about one of the gardening pads to rest your knees on?
Tags:changing table
Reply Up