Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anti-Eat Kid
msue1301 11:59 AM 01-19-2009
Any suggestions for a 5 year old girl that seems to be horrified by any food that is the least bit healthy. She starts to cry as the kids are cleaning up before lunch time, then yells when I ask her to go to the table. Mom said she's a picky eater, but this is ridiculous! I am on the food program and try to give the kids as healthy of a meal as I can. (I don't think much of what is on the governments requirements is that healthy!) I have an 8 week repeating menu, and serve things the majority of the kids will eat. If no one eats it, I change that menu. This child doesn't even like apples, sandwiches, and ANY vegetable. I know what I'd do if she were mine--no food until she did eat the healthy food, but if she holds out for whatever she wants at home (I don't know if that is what mom does) then I can't teach her much here. Thanks for any suggestions!
Marilynn
tymaboy 06:34 PM 01-19-2009
What we are told here is offer it to her. If she does not eat then she does not eat.

What I would do personaly is make her sit at the table & explain that if she does not want to eat thats fine but she is not getting anything else to eat & if she gets hungry after lunch then she needs to wait until it is the scheduled snack time. At snack time if she does not like it either then then she can choose not to eat it. Make it clear that you will not give her something different then the other kids. She will learn to either try what you give her or she will not eat untill she goes home.
Unregistered 06:01 AM 01-20-2009
Boy have i ran into this before! I suggest that you make what is on your menu and put it on a plate in front of her and if she doesn't eat it, you wrap it up and save it for mom, show it to her and say, If she is hungry it is because she hasn't been eating her lunch. I had to explain to some parents that I'm NOT a short order cook and they will have to eat what i give them or they will have to wait till next snack time. Don't stress over it, if and when she gets hungry enough she will eat it!
mrs.meg 07:39 AM 01-20-2009
I have the same problem. I only keep 2 besides my own. We have the same 5 things every week. These children will absolutely not eat anything else. It seems they have gotten a little better at breakfast because in the beginning they would not even eat a bowl of cereal, only pop-tarts or little white donuts which I rarely ever serve but the oldest would throw a fit before his mother left saying "she doesn't have anything I like". I try to be very firm and we do not have desserts or anything because of this reason. For the afternoon snack, we have a treat, but that is the only time of day. When he says he doesn't like something I tell him to take it or leave it. We do not go long between eating, so he doesn't starve. He has gotten a lot better in the last few months but I still cannot serve a lot of different foods. It is so hard, I feel for you. I wish I had words of wisdom, but I am new at this. I will look forward to more experienced responses.
Unregistered 01:27 PM 01-20-2009
Originally Posted by tymaboy:
What we are told here is offer it to her. If she does not eat then she does not eat.

What I would do personally is make her sit at the table & explain that if she does not want to eat thats fine but she is not getting anything else to eat & if she gets hungry after lunch then she needs to wait until it is the scheduled snack time. At snack time if she does not like it either then then she can choose not to eat it. Make it clear that you will not give her something different then the other kids. She will learn to either try what you give her or she will not eat until she goes home.

I agree with this. I do not give substitutions to children. Good luck!
Unregistered 05:02 PM 01-22-2009
I would find out what she is eating and see if there is any pattern with texture, smell, type of food etc., to make sure that it is not an eating disorder. We have a child that will gag/vomit at certain foods because of an eating disorder where texture and smell are very intolerable to him. Children with this disorder tend to prefer certain food types such as peanut butter, grilled cheese, and other soft foods, fruits and vegetables often being on the list of intolerable.
I understand that some kids may just want to eat junk, which could be the case, but I would research a bit more to make sure that there isn't something underlying.
I would also suggest to mom that she send in a lunch for the child if she won't eat what you make, with some guidelines of appropriate foods. If the child is that anxious that she is stressing about it before lunch time has even arrived, then something else may very well be going on.
Unregistered 08:23 PM 01-22-2009
first off what dose the kid like to eat and most important what nationality is she because that might have something to do with it I do this thing when I have parents start its called a child development and it starts from when they were born it show me where the parents think there child is and what they eat. Because if the family only eats rice or beans then you need to look at that one other thing that you can do is a chart with her and give her a star if she tries something new to eat its just like when you are trying to potty train a child. But find out if she was born early or not dose she have any health problems. and good luck try to find out what the parents feed her at home and make sure that they are on board with her eating. Also Check or have them give you a copy of what the dr say about her weight and all to see if she in on with the charts and you must understand that with out it you may not know where she is at. But most important you must understand that we as parents arent the best people when it comes to teaching the kids how to eat right and take care of our self so good luck
NEDaycare 11:32 AM 01-23-2009
Dont cater to her. She's not going to starve. I've been through this before, too. If they dont eat here, they will eat at home. I had parents try to bring special meals for their child but that's still letting them have their way. It took several weeks for the child to take me seriously and start to eat. Oh, and she, too gagged and threw a fit. No eating disorder there. She just wanted the microwave pita pocket type things her parents gave to her at home, and she wanted to be able to walk around the house with food in her hand eating like she did at home. She would not eat anything here even if it was the same thing she ate at home because I would not allow her to walk around my house while she was eating. She was required to sit at the table with the other children. She was also not a socialized child, did not know how to play, or anything because she'd always been with either her parents or grandparents. Do make the child remain seated until the other children are finished, though. They'll probably get used to the idea quicker if you include them in the dining festivities regardless of whether they choose to eat or not.
TTOTS 06:15 AM 01-24-2009
I do not give substitutions on meals or snacks. I also tell the parents we had this for lunch or snack and it wasn't eaten. If the parent tells me that they eat it at home then I'll I know the child is just trying to pull a fast one on me.
Unregistered 02:03 PM 01-24-2009
I realize that some kids can make themselves gag, I just think a eating disorder should be ruled out. They may be stubborn and just trying to get what they want, but as childcare providers, the child is our main concern, and as responsible providers, we also need to look for red flags to problems, whether with eating, or other issues.
Selective Eating Disorder (SED) (also known as picky or fussy eating, or perseverative feeding disorder) is an eating disorder that prevents the consumption of certain foods. It is often viewed as a phase of childhood that is generally overcome with age. Children may not grow out of being a picky eater, however, and may continue to be afflicted with SED throughout their adult lives.

Selective eating is the little studied phenomenon of eating a highly limited range of foods, associated with an unwillingness to try new foods. Common in toddlers, it can persist into middle childhood and adolescence in a small number of children, most commonly boys. When this happens social avoidance, anxiety and conflict can resultSufferers of SED have an inability to eat certain foods based on texture or aroma. "Safe" foods may be limited to certain food types and even specific brands. In some cases, afflicted individuals will exclude whole food groups, such as fruits or vegetables.

The University College London's Institute of Child Health (UK) relates that:

Typically a child or adolescent with selective eating will be within the normal range for both weight and height, and show no abnormality on physical examination. Sometimes selective eating can come on after a period of normal eating, but for many there may be a history of early feeding difficulties or problem with weaning. Eating a highly restricted range of foods is a common feature of toddlers – up to 20 per cent of children below the age of five years are faddy and the problem persists to the age of eight years in about a third of these. However for some young people the problem persists into middle childhood, adolescence and even adulthood.[2]
Texasjeepgirl 09:01 AM 01-25-2009
After 17 years of LICENSED child care, I've seen this many times.

I do not cater. What I will do is attempt to serve 'atleast' one component at each meal that I know this picky eater will eat.
They sit down for the meal, eat that one thing, leave everything else sitting on their plate, and ask for more of the item they like.
My rule is, if you want more of the item that you like, YOU MUST take one tiny bite of the food you DO NOT like.
Most of the time, the child will refuse. They may cry, whine etc.
But I stand firm.
This method ensures that the child gets something to eat.

EVENTUALLY many children will take 1 tiny tiny bite, just to get another serving of the item they DO LIKE.

Many years ago I read an article regarding picky eaters.
This article stated that a child could be SERVED an item up to 17 times before they actually chose to TASTE IT.
17 times!
That's allot.
But, I've had many many children, that ONCE they tried it, they actually liked it.
You must be consistent.
You must continue to ALWAYS serve the items, even if you know you will be throwing it in the trash.
just give them a tiny tiny bit, so that it is available for them to taste.
I've had children taste it THIS WEEK, then next time I offer it, they say, I tasted that LAST TIME, and I KNOW I don't like it.
Well, I'm sorry. The rule is, if you want more chicken nuggets, you must take that 1 tiny bite of green peas, or carrot, or whatever it is.

Other things that I've seen, which you must deal with appropriately, is a child that totally refuses to take a single bite of any food at lunch, but then at snacktime they want double and even triple portions of the snack item I'm serving, because they are STARVING, and trying to make a full meal off the snack.
I do not allow this.
I might serve them 1 or 2 more than the recommended amount for snack, but then I cut them off.
I explain to them that next time you need to try the foods I serve for lunch, so that you are not starving at snack time.

The unfortunate thing with your case is the age of the child.
5 years old?
You probably won't have much luck with this child, then they will move on to school and all your efforts will be gone.
Younger children respond better ....when they are with you for several years before beginning school.
NEDaycare 07:01 PM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I realize that some kids can make themselves gag, I just think a eating disorder should be ruled out. They may be stubborn and just trying to get what they want, but as childcare providers, the child is our main concern, and as responsible providers, we also need to look for red flags to problems, whether with eating, or other issues.
Selective Eating Disorder (SED) (also known as picky or fussy eating, or perseverative feeding disorder) is an eating disorder that prevents the consumption of certain foods. It is often viewed as a phase of childhood that is generally overcome with age. Children may not grow out of being a picky eater, however, and may continue to be afflicted with SED throughout their adult lives.

Selective eating is the little studied phenomenon of eating a highly limited range of foods, associated with an unwillingness to try new foods. Common in toddlers, it can persist into middle childhood and adolescence in a small number of children, most commonly boys. When this happens social avoidance, anxiety and conflict can resultSufferers of SED have an inability to eat certain foods based on texture or aroma. "Safe" foods may be limited to certain food types and even specific brands. In some cases, afflicted individuals will exclude whole food groups, such as fruits or vegetables.

The University College London's Institute of Child Health (UK) relates that:

Typically a child or adolescent with selective eating will be within the normal range for both weight and height, and show no abnormality on physical examination. Sometimes selective eating can come on after a period of normal eating, but for many there may be a history of early feeding difficulties or problem with weaning. Eating a highly restricted range of foods is a common feature of toddlers – up to 20 per cent of children below the age of five years are faddy and the problem persists to the age of eight years in about a third of these. However for some young people the problem persists into middle childhood, adolescence and even adulthood.[2]
It's funny the things that all these new studies come up with that did not exist when we were young (or maybe they did, but back then we did not live in a society that had to label everything so that everyone could have their own unique disorder). I am not in to all of that. I know they come up with some things that are legitimate, but really?
Tags:eating issues, picky eater, sensory food aversion, won't eat
Reply Up