Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Funny Things We Have Been Asked
momma2girls 05:19 PM 09-10-2010
I thought this would be fun to place on here all the funny things we have been asked by parents- I thought I have been asked and heard it all in 7 yrs. but here is a new one- I have a new parent- 1st time Mom ask- Can I ask what you do with daycare boy(her infant son 3 months old) when you are cooking lunch for all the other children here? Good thing she emailed it to me- instead of asking me that an interview- I would have laughed at her- ohh,I felt like asking her what do you do when you are cooking? Or do you think that is all I have to do in a day is cook dinner? Too funny!!!!!!! SOme first time Moms are so much fun!!! NOT!!!!!
missnikki 05:39 PM 09-10-2010
"Can we keep (most special child EVER's name here) away from (most horribly parented and offensive child's name here)? They were mean to him/her yesterday."
momma2girls 06:01 PM 09-10-2010
I thought of another thing- I was once told daycare girl was very upset yesterday, because someone was helping her with her backwards E in her name. Can you believe that? It was myself and my 7yr. old daughter. She asked me not to help her again, and believe me we didn't help her with anything ever again! She was actually leaving in a couple of months for Kindergarten!!! I think the Mom should have been grateful I was assisting her daughter with her name, and helping her with alot of different things!!
Preschool/daycare teacher 06:21 PM 09-10-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
"Can we keep (most special child EVER's name here) away from (most horribly parented and offensive child's name here)? They were mean to him/her yesterday."
This must be a common parent question! Seriously, do parents really think we can keep one child away from another child? And if these two happen to like to be together you really have to laugh at a request like that. With everything else you have to keep an eye on during the day, do they really think you can keep an eye out constantly just to make sure child A doesn't go near child B? And if they do, direct one of them somewhere else? Yeah, maybe if they are the ONLY two children, and then it'd still be pretty difficult to do for the whole day. A few minutes maybe...but the whole day? Not in Daycare!
Lilbutterflie 07:32 PM 09-10-2010
I had a mom call me in the evening totally out of the blue who said "You would never forget my son in the hot car, would you?" I had already been watching him for months at this point! I felt like saying "If you feel the need to ask me this question, you obviously do not have any faith in me watching your son. Maybe you should find someone else!"
momma2girls 07:34 PM 09-10-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I had a mom call me in the evening totally out of the blue who said "You would never forget my son in the hot car, would you?" I had already been watching him for months at this point! I felt like saying "If you feel the need to ask me this question, you obviously do not have any faith in me watching your son. Maybe you should find someone else!"
I know you feel like saying DUH??
AfterSchoolMom 08:11 PM 09-10-2010
What on earth does she think you're going to say to that? It's not as if you'd go "well, sure...don't you?". Haha!
TGT09 08:12 PM 09-10-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
What on earth does she think you're going to say to that? It's not as if you'd go "well, sure...don't you?". Haha!
This was exactly what I was thinking! I'm sure the mothers that this has happened to have not set out to do it....OK, maybe there are some that set out to do it but I would sure hope for the most part that it's an accident!
SilverSabre25 08:39 PM 09-10-2010
I had a parent call and ask if I could watch their child 7:30 AM to 1:30 AM (yes, that's 18 hours) Monday through Friday. I clarified, 'You mean...you would pick him up at 1:30 and then drop him off again 6 hours later? All week?' and yes, that is what he meant. I bit my tongue on 'I'm watching other people's kids, not raising them!" and just gave a vague answer about not being equipped to watch kids that late into the night.

I feel really sorry for that kid...
Lilbutterflie 06:33 AM 09-11-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
This was exactly what I was thinking! I'm sure the mothers that this has happened to have not set out to do it....OK, maybe there are some that set out to do it but I would sure hope for the most part that it's an accident!
Of course I told her that absolutely under no circumstances would I ever leave any child in a hot car! Coming from her, I sort of understand a little bit. She is a control freak in every sense of the word, and the fact that she is not able to watch over her son every minute of the day absolutely has her in tears for hours in a week. This call came from her hearing a news story about a child who died in a hot car; and she called me after supposedly crying over the story. She even has her husband paranoid that he's going to leave his son in the car! Even though I sort of understood, it still hurt that she had that little confidence in me to worry that I would leave her son in a hot car.
Lilbutterflie 06:35 AM 09-11-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I had a parent call and ask if I could watch their child 7:30 AM to 1:30 AM (yes, that's 18 hours) Monday through Friday. I clarified, 'You mean...you would pick him up at 1:30 and then drop him off again 6 hours later? All week?' and yes, that is what he meant. I bit my tongue on 'I'm watching other people's kids, not raising them!" and just gave a vague answer about not being equipped to watch kids that late into the night.

Wow!! I wonder why she was needing care for THAT long? That poor little kid.
DCMom 07:32 AM 09-11-2010
My all time favorite periodically comes from one of the kids: 'Where do you work?' or 'How come you don't have a job?'. Makes me smile every time.
Lucy 03:04 PM 09-11-2010
I had a mom come interview with a newborn. My step-daughter, who was 22 at the time, was here visiting from out of state and heard this question too, so I know I'm not just crazy. The mom said, "You don't shake them, do you?" I seriously wanted to laugh, but I knew she was a first-time mom and in her mind, it was a good question! LOL. Well, almost 11 years later, I still have her daughter and love her as if she's my own. I've never had any bad experiences working with this family. My step-daughter, now 33, still occasionally asks (joking, of course) if I've shaken any babies lately.
Unregistered 04:47 PM 09-11-2010

does anyone know of a daycare in mesa that will take a 4 year old with cerebral palsey
Unregistered 05:33 PM 09-11-2010
I once had a mom call me to ask if I had noticed that it was lightening and thundering out. She wanted to know if I had brought the kids inside or if I was letting them play outside in the storm.
Unregistered 06:32 PM 09-11-2010
I had a couple here on Thursday for an interview...the one question that made me almost burst out laughing.."Do you like children?" I wanted to reply.."Well, with the right spices and a nice glass of chilled wine, they're delicious!"...but of course, I assured them that since I have been doing daycare for 23 YEARS, that I do indeed "like" kids...LOL!
legomom922 07:02 PM 09-11-2010
During my interview for a 7 wk old, they asked me what an average day would look like for the baby.....

Well lets see, first I'll take him out to the playground, then we will have circle time, then we will have show and tell, then he can run around the yard, then he will do a craft....are you kidding me??? He will eat, sleep, poop, repeat...
momma2girls 07:26 PM 09-11-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
During my interview for a 7 wk old, they asked me what an average day would look like for the baby.....

Well lets see, first I'll take him out to the playground, then we will have circle time, then we will have show and tell, then he can run around the yard, then he will do a craft....are you kidding me??? He will eat, sleep, poop, repeat...
SOme parents are just unreal, I was asked this once as well!! I replied not much on a newborn baby!!
Chickenhauler 03:58 AM 09-12-2010
My mother did daycare for 30 years, and my father farmed (not a hobby farm, a working, for-profit farm).

She had a parent ask during an interview "What do you do with all the cattle, pigs and chickens you raise?"

Durrrrr.........
sahm2three 09:54 AM 09-12-2010
One mom is doing clinicals for school and knows my hours are 7 AM to 5 PM. She had to be to clinicals at 5:30 and wanted to know if she could drop the kids off at 4:50 AM!!! Ummmmm.....NO! Sorry, my hours are 7 to 5 and you will have to find someone to drop them off no earlier than 7. AND she is state and I already have her kids for 50 hours + per week and get royally screwed and she wanted me to take them MORE hours and super early and NOT get paid for it?! Ummmm.... NOOOOOOOOO!

This was kind of a question, but kind of an accusation I think, first time mom, new dcb who had been here part time for 2 weeks, 5 months old, rolling everywhere, really active and pretty spoiled (can tell he is held ALL THE TIME). She comes the other day and says, "X has a bruise on his leg. I don't know if it happened here or at my mom's house." LOL! I asked where and she showed me and I told her I didn't remember anything specifically that would have caused him a bruise, but then also said, "As a mom of two rambunctious boys myself, this will be the first of MANY bruises!" She says, "I know but it was his first bruise and it makes me sad!" Oh boy!
kidkair 10:03 AM 09-12-2010
Originally Posted by DCMom:
My all time favorite periodically comes from one of the kids: 'Where do you work?' or 'How come you don't have a job?'. Makes me smile every time.
I used to get that all the time as a nanny and "what do you want to do when you grow up?" was another that I laughed at!
MarinaVanessa 12:55 PM 09-13-2010
My policy is for each child to come with a carseat/booster at drop-off and taken back at pick-up so that they are never left here without one. DCM had 2 carseats and left one here all of the time but took it last week to go on vacation and was to return this morning.

Just this morning DCM of 14M DCB sends me a text:

DCM: Do you have another carseat that (child) can use n ur car? (dad) asked if he could hang on 2 this one and I don't know what to tell him. I saw u had one in the nap room.

ME: That's the carseat for my baby.
(brand new in box, I'm due in November)

DCM: Most carseats are good up to 22 lbs and 29 inches. (child's name) is 21 lbs and 27 inches. Can he use urs or do u need me 2 buy one?

ME: If you want one to stay here all of the time we can do that, otherwise you can leave ur carseat at drop-off and take it with you at pick-up so you don't have to buy another one.

DCM: Good idea.

Um ... am I the only one that thinks this is obvious?
sahm1225 02:09 PM 09-13-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:

This must be a common one because I had a mom of a 3 month old ask something similar - wanted to know what projects/activities her 3 month old would do daily.. My response was to laugh and say "You are funny". The mom was serious, and obviously I never got a call back! LOL - that mom also was surprised that I didn't provide formula for infants
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 03:53 PM 09-13-2010
I once had a mom ask if I could give 4 oz of water to boy between 10 and 11 am because in their culture it made them talk faster,... I didnt even think before I said,.. well it will make him pee but I dont think talking has anything to do with drinking.
then I said,.. ummmm,.... lol. oops.
MarinaVanessa 04:19 PM 09-13-2010
Oh I have another one about same DCM. She has a problem with showing up on time. She's from 8am-6pm but shows up at any time from 8:30-noon. I don't care that she doesn't show up at 8 since he's my first and it gives me more free time. I take my daughter to school in the mornings which starts at 7:55am. Her school is the halfway point between DCM's house and my house and she asked me if I'd drive by her house in the AM's to pick up DCB so he'd be here on time at 8am . Um ... no.

Lady, if you can't get your butt up in time to get him to my house at 8am what makes you think I'd drive to your house and pick him up for you?!
TGT09 05:21 PM 09-13-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Oh I have another one about same DCM. She has a problem with showing up on time. She's from 8am-6pm but shows up at any time from 8:30-noon. I don't care that she doesn't show up at 8 since he's my first and it gives me more free time. I take my daughter to school in the mornings which starts at 7:55am. Her school is the halfway point between DCM's house and my house and she asked me if I'd drive by her house in the AM's to pick up DCB so he'd be here on time at 8am . Um ... no.

Lady, if you can't get your butt up in time to get him to my house at 8am what makes you think I'd drive to your house and pick him up for you?!
Lazy with a capital L!
choirlady76 07:22 PM 09-13-2010

Wow that is alot to ask of one person, and for a kid to be there that many hours, however there are alot of daycare centers now that are open 24/7, I guess the need is becoming more increasing.
momma2girls 07:40 PM 09-13-2010
Originally Posted by choirlady76:
Wow that is alot to ask of one person, and for a kid to be there that many hours, however there are alot of daycare centers now that are open 24/7, I guess the need is becoming more increasing.
If you even did this, what in the world would you charge for 18 hrs.? THis is 2 days in my book!!
GretasLittleFriends 01:29 AM 09-14-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
If you even did this, what in the world would you charge for 18 hrs.? THis is 2 days in my book!!
$45

I operate 24/7, actually, it's 3:45a and I'm waiting on a drop-off. She does (and I will) go back to sleep. I charge an hourly rate instead of a daily/weekly rate. Seems to work better for me.
boysx5 03:10 AM 09-14-2010
once had a mom pick up her child and say oh now we have to go home do homework dinner bath and I said yes I have to do all that as well at the time I had my four boys and she said well yes but throw a real job into that I said oh I have a real job I work 11 hours a day with no lunch break shut her up fast
seashell 05:52 AM 09-14-2010
Don't you just love how we don't have "Real Jobs"? When I tell people that I work just as hard or harder than they do at their "Real Job" I get responses like:

But your home all day! - And? I still teach, cook, change, clean up...
You don't have to do anything if you don't want to - See above!
That's not a real job! Ummmmm... would it make a difference if I did it in a center instead?

I think it's harder to work from home in alot of ways, but I find the attitude of others the worst part.
MommyMuffin 06:53 AM 09-14-2010
There are so many things that people dont think about that goes on behind the scenes at a home daycare. Its ALL you..cleaning, cooking ect. Plus you are held to high standards in almost everything. Clean daily..multiple times, home cooked nutritious meals, marketing/accounting..and well you guys know the rest very well!
I know it takes a person with a great heart and a very hard worker to be a provider and I think you all are awesome!
countrymom 07:13 AM 09-14-2010
the best was this mom and dad (they had 2 dd's schoolagers who where looking for care)well I have a trampoline and the kids where outside playing on it, well the mom looks at me and says "we are not going to come here because my kids are not going to want to come home after playing here all day" I'm glad they didn't come because last year I saw them and they were the most baddest girls I've ever seen, totally disrespectful, yelling, screaming throwing temper tantrums.
countrymom 07:14 AM 09-14-2010
I like the ones that tell me not to nap their children so they can go to bed early so the parents can have quiet time (like its hard to spend 3 hours a day with their child)
DCMomOf3 07:22 AM 09-14-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
18 hours is not even legal in my state. the max is 12 hours in a 24 hour peroid.
Live and Learn 07:45 AM 09-14-2010
I had a mommy ask me to not let her 3 month old on our trampoline.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:03 AM 09-14-2010
rofl about 3 mo old on trampoline!
JJPlaycare 08:13 AM 09-14-2010
I started a 3.5 year old who was born and raised in a daycare! I was asking the mother all about him and we started talking about what he knows as far as ABC's, numbers, colors and such! She looked at me and said "None of that, he is only 3" Wow really she obviously didn't have very high standards for this child or his last daycare! On a side note, this child also was not potty trained, and didn't even have any sort of interest! Looking back at it, I am not sure they had even talked to him about what a potty was for! I did take this child and he made milestones, just took a little involvement and confidence building and introduction!! : D
MarinaVanessa 08:20 AM 09-14-2010
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Aww, but what if 3mo REALLY wants too?! LMAO
missnikki 08:22 AM 09-14-2010
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
I would tell her "Don't worry- I police my yard in a Little Tykes patrol car, with real siren noises."
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:30 AM 09-14-2010
ROFL!!!!
do you give out citations for time out or take them directly to it???? lolol
missnikki 08:57 AM 09-14-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
ROFL!!!!
do you give out citations for time out or take them directly to it???? lolol
I just explain to the baby that 3 months is too young for trampolines, and we arrange an appointment to revisit the idea at a future date. The babies usually don't use the trampoline after that stern warning. I don't like spending taxpayers money on a first offense.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:12 AM 09-14-2010
ok, after my morning I needed this laugh!!!!! lololol. lol some more! lolol
Unregistered 06:26 AM 09-16-2010
I had a dcm tell me that she was just starting to potty train her daughter and wanted me to let her run around the house naked, I just laughed and said NO!!
DWTC 12:26 PM 09-16-2010
Originally Posted by boysx5:
once had a mom pick up her child and say oh now we have to go home do homework dinner bath and I said yes I have to do all that as well at the time I had my four boys and she said well yes but throw a real job into that I said oh I have a real job I work 11 hours a day with no lunch break shut her up fast
That's messed up!!

When I am at home with my daughter for a day I am more worn out after the day then I am from my job away from home! I can't imagine staying home with 2 or more children. That is why I wouldn't be able to have a daycare as a job though. I think it would be a tough.
Live and Learn 12:57 PM 09-16-2010
I had a momma tell me she was potty training her 23 month old "this weekend". The little girl was showing no signs of being ready for potty training but I think that the momma wanted to brag that daughter was out of diapers by age 2. One of my own children was out of diapers super early but only because he was ready.Dry most of the day and telling me bore he was poopy. The following week little girl showed up in diapers as usual and mom never said another word about it.
Chickenhauler 04:05 PM 09-16-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

Tell her, since it's high value, high risk cargo, you charge $5 per mile for all miles incurred during the excursion, freight must be pre-paid.
missnikki 04:57 PM 09-16-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
Tell her, since it's high value, high risk cargo, you charge $5 per mile for all miles incurred during the excursion, freight must be pre-paid.
There's definitely a 'chicken hauler' joke in there somewhere.
Chickenhauler 05:02 PM 09-16-2010
There's definitely a 'chicken hauler' joke in there somewhere.
Most freight contracts are pre-paid (just like you do with the post office). This helps prevent fraud.

Also, I haul high risk and high value commodities (hazmat, electronics, makeup, shoes, DVD's, etc-stuff that's worth some cash, and easily sold and untraceable.....aka "more likely to get stolen") and they pay is higher than say, a load of zucchini.....come to think of it, I've never once hauled zucchini.....which is just one more fact supporting my theory that zucchini is useless unless you're feeding pigs.
missnikki 05:07 PM 09-16-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
Most freight contracts are pre-paid (just like you do with the post office). This helps prevent fraud.

Also, I haul high risk and high value commodities (hazmat, electronics, makeup, shoes, DVD's, etc-stuff that's worth some cash, and easily sold and untraceable.....aka "more likely to get stolen") and they pay is higher than say, a load of zucchini.....come to think of it, I've never once hauled zucchini.....which is just one more fact supporting my theory that zucchini is useless unless you're feeding pigs.
So you're saying that this kid is more likely to be stolen and sold because pigs like zucchini better than untraceable boys? Sorry- it's quitting time and I'm full of lame jokes.
professionalmom 09:28 AM 09-21-2010
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
There are so many things that people dont think about that goes on behind the scenes at a home daycare. Its ALL you..cleaning, cooking ect. Plus you are held to high standards in almost everything. Clean daily..multiple times, home cooked nutritious meals, marketing/accounting..and well you guys know the rest very well!
I know it takes a person with a great heart and a very hard worker to be a provider and I think you all are awesome!
I may not really be able to speak for ALL home daycare providers, but I think most would say the same as I - THANK YOU!!!! I have tried to explain what I do all day and it goes like this:
Me: "...vacuuming, sweeping floors, steaming the hardwood floors..."
DCM: "I have a home too and do all that PLUS have a job."
Me: "Really. You vacuum, sweep, and steam EVERY SINGLE DAY and sometimes twice a day!"
DCM: "Well, no. I don't have to."
Me: "Technically, I don't HAVE to either. But I want my home clean and healthy for my family and yours, so I do it. And I do it with 4-6 infants, toddlers, and young children running around. I do it while playing referee between the kids, pausing the housework to change blow-out diapers, fix bottles, run a toddler to the potty chair, etc."

I also love the "you get a 2 hour break while the kids nap." Like, heck I do! I am cleaning up from their lunch, throwing out the garbage, loading the dishwasher, sweeping the floors (usually for the 3rd time that day) under the table and chairs, picking up toys, disinfecting toys that have been mouthed, logging in payments, logging the "in" times for that day, recording their meals for the food program, returning parent calls, returning inquiry calls, returning emails, etc. And that's IF no one gets up early or IF the babies are on the same schedule as the older kids! If not, the above "to do" list does not get completed.
broncomom1973 11:10 AM 09-21-2010
I had a mom call me and ask why her son had a crayon in his diaper like I intentionally PUT the crayon in his diaper. I then proceeded to tell her that he probably dropped it down his pants while he was attempting to force it down my vent. Crazy!
DCMomOf3 12:42 PM 09-21-2010
Originally Posted by broncomom1973:
I had a mom call me and ask why her son had a crayon in his diaper like I intentionally PUT the crayon in his diaper. I then proceeded to tell her that he probably dropped it down his pants while he was attempting to force it down my vent. Crazy!
I had a dcg manage to get a toy airplane in her diaper. I promised the mom that it wasn't there when I changed her. How they get things stuck in tight diapers I will never now.
Chickenhauler 11:20 PM 09-22-2010
So you're saying that this kid is more likely to be stolen and sold because pigs like zucchini better than untraceable boys? Sorry- it's quitting time and I'm full of lame jokes.
Some kids are higher value freight than others....LOL.

We have one around here I don't think even the pigs would touch!
professionalmom 11:06 AM 09-23-2010
Originally Posted by Quincy:
I had a dcg manage to get a toy airplane in her diaper. I promised the mom that it wasn't there when I changed her. How they get things stuck in tight diapers I will never now.
We have been teaching my DD to put coins in her piggy bank. She was working on a bunch one day. Later that evening, we went for a rare dinner out. She LOVED her food (pancakes shaped like Mickey Mouse). When she was done, she reached into the top fold of her diaper (the waistband part) and pulled out 3 pennies and laid them on the table. I guess she was trying to pay for dinner and we never knew she stowed those pennies away! At least she's trying to pay her way already at age 2.
TGT09 11:11 AM 09-23-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
we have been teaching my dd to put coins in her piggy bank. She was working on a bunch one day. Later that evening, we went for a rare dinner out. She loved her food (pancakes shaped like mickey mouse). When she was done, she reached into the top fold of her diaper (the waistband part) and pulled out 3 pennies and laid them on the table. I guess she was trying to pay for dinner and we never knew she stowed those pennies away! At least she's trying to pay her way already at age 2.
lmao! Priceless!!!
Tags:kids that question
Reply Up