Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Write A Daily Report?
EchoMom 12:38 PM 06-03-2012
Do you write a daily report for each child everyday? If so, what do you put on it?

I've been knocking myself out writing very detailed notes home for each of my 5 dck. The infants as well as the toddlers, noting every single diaper change, all activities, behavior, nap times, meals, etc. But then I write these elaborate notes detailing what they've done, but I end up just telling parents verbally at pick up anyway.

But now I don't know if I can stop because parents have come to expect them, but I feel like it's a huge waste of my time and do they really need to know the status of every diaper change? They've been with me for 5 months now, do they need to know every single detail written? I don't even know if they read them or not!
Willow 01:21 PM 06-03-2012
I offer to do it for new kiddos for the first couple of weeks. That gives parents a solid glance of what the child will be doing day to day.

Otherwise I just use pick up times to relay any information. I usually have the kids talk about what they did, what they ate, what their favorite part of the day was, if they got any boo-boos etc. right in front of me and that way if parents have any comments or questions they can ask them then. I only share if a kiddo has a wonky diaper, doesn't nap or doesn't eat, basically just the out of the ordinary stuff. If I have nothing to report then my parents trust it was a typical day.
CheekyChick 01:43 PM 06-03-2012
I write very detailed logs for babies under two. I don't write when they have a wet diaper - only a BM and what it looked like.

For over two, you shouldn't have to go into detail. Just things like, what they ate, how they ate, behavior, anything regarding potty training, time outs, how long they slept, and what activity they did.

At pick up, I don't go through the child's entire day because I've already handed them a letter. I usually just bring up one cute thing they did and that's basically it.
momma2girls 12:56 PM 06-04-2012
I stopped doing daily sheets about 5 or 6 yrs. ago. I tell everything verbally to infants. Their last feeding, bowel movements, etc.. fussiness. I do verbally tell parents of children over one, if they had anything abnormal for the day.
renodeb 04:39 PM 06-04-2012
I use to do pretty detailed ones. I used the parent grams from funshine express but it got to where the parents would not even take them and they piled up in there cubbies. I do it really just at the request of the parent. So I will say no, I dont. It takes to much time daily.
Debbie
Countrygal 05:43 PM 06-04-2012
I did a blog for a while, and it was fun! Unfortunately, after about two weeks the parents weren't even looking at it. I even posted pictures and all on it - it was a private blog just for the preschool. I would have loved it if a daycare my gs attended did that, but evidently most parents don't.

Then I tried a daily sheet. That lasted about two days. I was spending an hour filling it out after the kids had gone home. Unpaid. Ain't happenin'

So, now it's just verbal. I know all of the "agencies" frown on it, but I get paid little enough as it is, is my feeling......
Crazy8 07:16 PM 06-04-2012
I do a simple half sheet one for each child - it takes just a few minutes and includes their diaper changes (wet or bm) and how well they ate at meals (I list food and circle none/some/all). I have a comments section where I may list something we did that day but more often I use it to say we need diapers or spare clothes, etc.
pollyo 07:22 PM 06-04-2012
I used to write them, but found them very time consuming and would often find them never taken out of the bag. I usually give a brief run-down at pick-up anyway.

The way I was able to stop was that my printer ran out of ink and I couldn't print out my forms. I told each parent- oh my printers down so they knew why they weren't recieving them. Once the printer was up and running, I just never continued and it hasn't been an issue.

I do have a baby starting so I will write down the naps and feedings but only for a few weeks.
littlemissmuffet 07:28 PM 06-04-2012
I honestly don't have time to write reports - I'd rather be spending time with the kids. Also, parents need to understand that I've been taking care of kids long before they were - they need to trust me and not expect every little detail be passed along. I like chatting with moms and dads at pick-up so anything they need to know or I want to share occurs verbally.

Oh and of course, there are the parents who don't even glance at them, let alone read them or actually care. Waste of time, IMO.
Hunni Bee 07:56 PM 06-04-2012
I do a weekly one. Most weeks. If it was a busy or a holiday week or something, I just leave it off.

I know they don't really look at it. I've taken to printing them on random colored sheets of paper, so at least it catches their eye.

I just fill in one, copy it 11 times and then highlight and pencil in stuff on individual kids' sheets. It still is pretty time-consuming.
Meeko 07:36 AM 06-05-2012
SAVE THE TREES!! LOL!

I found it a waste of time and energy and paper. They ended up on the floor, stuffed in cubbies, on my driveway and on the floors of their cars. I always talk to them when they arrive anyway, so why would they want to read it too?

Tell the parents that you have decided to streamline your operation and will no longer be providing written reports.

If any parents complain, tell them to print up some of their own and you will fill them in. You will be amazed at how fast they don't need them when THEY have to spend the time and money printing them up.
Kim 08:15 AM 06-05-2012
I do a simple daily report for infants only. It has times they slept, diapers- wet, bm or dry when checked, bottles- amount they drank, solids- what they had and amount they ate, and a spot for comments if needed.

For the older kids I have a dry erase board by the door and I try to write a little blurb about what we did today. Lately I haven't even done that and just tell parents a little at pick up time.
Tags:daily reports, written correspondence
Reply Up