Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Do I round up or down hours?
HappyHeartsChildCare 05:09 PM 01-27-2015
When counting hours open, do I round up or down? Or count it to the exact minute?

I am open 7:30am to 5:30pm. I only have one daycare kid right now. His dad drops him off and picks him up at different times each day.

For example... If they arrive at 8:25am and leaves at 5:10pm, how many hours do I write down on my log?
daycare 05:44 PM 01-27-2015
Originally Posted by HappyHeartsChildCare:
When counting hours open, do I round up or down? Or count it to the exact minute?

I am open 7:30am to 5:30pm. I only have one daycare kid right now. His dad drops him off and picks him up at different times each day.

For example... If they arrive at 8:25am and leaves at 5:10pm, how many hours do I write down on my log?
what hours are you open ready for business? what does your licensing application state?

so mine is 730 to 530pm.

I am always open and ready to go during these hours. I have kids contracted for those hours, however some will not show up until 800 and leave at 515...

I could be wrong, but this is how I have always done it.
HappyHeartsChildCare 09:12 PM 01-27-2015
My contracted hours are 7:30am to 5:30pm. I read somewhere that when logging in hours worked to calculate time-space percentage, I can only count the hours when there are daycare kids present?
butterfly 08:31 AM 01-28-2015
I write down the very minute they come and go. It doesn't feel honest to do it any other way to me.
tenderhearts 08:38 AM 01-28-2015
You can only count hours while a child is actually present. So even if you're open at 7 am but the first child doesn't arrive until 7:30 you can't count hours a child isn't present. However, in a separate column for hours of doing stuff for your business in home you can count, so if at 7 you started to prepare breakfast and clean up you can track those hours.
So for me, my first 3 kids arrive at 7am, I prepare breakfast clean up and get their quiet activities ready from 6:30-7. Hope that makes sense.
TomCopeland 10:49 AM 01-28-2015
Originally Posted by HappyHeartsChildCare:

You can't count time simply because you are open. I'd record time rounded up or down five minutes. So, do record 8:25 am and 5:10pm. You can still count time after the child is gone, or before he arrives, if you are doing business activities.
HappyHeartsChildCare 10:57 AM 01-29-2015
Got it. Thanks!
Tags:hours
Reply Up