Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interview Today....
cheerfuldom 06:03 PM 05-10-2012
So it went pretty good with the little one at least. She jumped right in to play with my oldest daughter, very energetic but didnt cause any trouble. The parents were okay but the dad said he thought my contract was really strict (it IS very thorough) but the only major concern was that my contract basically says that I am not responsible for any accident that happens on the property. His question was "how are you not responsible if the accident happened on your property". I let him know that we do have extra insurance and safety measures in place in case an accident was to ever occur, and one never has. That part of the contract is to help protect me and my job and my home, should a parent ever try to sue because of a major accident. This was a worst case scenario thing. They also slightly questioned a few smaller things like me not allowing candy in the lunches from home and said "what if she was to have one small treat in there"....it seemed like they were not getting the intention of my contract. I tried to clarify that that part about candy and gum was to make sure that a child didnt JUST have a sack full of sugar to eat for lunch. One small treat every now and then was fine and I just asked that parents use common sense before packing a lunch. If something was becoming excessive, I would mention it to them and we could get back on track with some better options. We also had the potty training discussion with one parent saying that she was training and doing pretty good and the other piping in that some days she has several accidents.....obviously NOT potty trained in my eyes. Plus the nap discussion where they both admitted that she didnt like naps and would fight them sometimes. Those things are pretty common from 2 year olds so hopefully it is no big deal. I wasnt getting any huge red flag vibes from me but the dad questioning the accident thing was weird. He said "what if she was upstairs and walked through a window and fell out to the backyard...would that be your responsibility?" I said that would not happen because she would never be upstairs unsupervised and our windows have child proof locks. I did not even acknowledge the "what if" part by trying to come up with an answer for something that would never happen anyway. Do you think that type of question should be a red flag or that maybe he was just trying to be funny or something?
Pout 06:53 PM 05-10-2012
Sounds like that dad was trying to nitpick and find problems. What kind of stupid, ridiculous, unrealisitc question is that about the accident thing?

I've had a few interviews where the quality of care and the kind of environment their child will be in is not their number one priority, they are much more concerned about little details like "how do you warm the bottle?" and "what are the educational activities you do?" and they have a 6 month old! It's like, hello? Your main concern should be that the needs of your little baby are being met, not the "education" they're getting. And they have this long, unrealistic list of things they want. I almost want to say to them "You're the one going on craigslist and finding a daycare for your 6th month old. Stop being so picky"

They act like they're interviewing someone for the president!
cheerfuldom 07:00 PM 05-10-2012
Thats funny pout. But yes I agree, there was not too many questions about me or my setup just random "what if" questions. He seemed nice but maybe just a little odd or nervous or something. As for an update, they did email me to ask for the spot but I am going to think it over tonight and tomorrow before responding.
Meeko 07:10 PM 05-10-2012
I have a separate liability release form that each parent must sign. I have a had a few parents question it, but I tell them exactly what the attorney I had go over it say......

....if I am truly negligent...the form isn't worth the paper it's written on. Parents don't have to think that a provider is untouchable if she causes harm to a child through negligence or abuses the child etc. Nothing can save her if that's the case.

What it DOES stop is the parent who gets mad because Angel fell over her own feet in the driveway. The ones who will then sue for millions because Angel was going a to be a model and now the teeny tiny mark on her face has put an end to her dreams and she will therefore be traumatized for life and need life long therapy.......and it's all the provider's fault because her driveway was too hard........you get the idea.

I haven't had a parent yet who wasn't fine with it after I explain the liability release is not an OK for me to be negligent. It protects me from SILLY lawsuits.
Blackcat31 09:18 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I have a separate liability release form that each parent must sign. I have a had a few parents question it, but I tell them exactly what the attorney I had go over it say......

....if I am truly negligent...the form isn't worth the paper it's written on. Parents don't have to think that a provider is untouchable if she causes harm to a child through negligence or abuses the child etc. Nothing can save her if that's the case.

What it DOES stop is the parent who gets mad because Angel fell over her own feet in the driveway. The ones who will then sue for millions because Angel was going a to be a model and now the teeny tiny mark on her face has put an end to her dreams and she will therefore be traumatized for life and need life long therapy.......and it's all the provider's fault because her driveway was too hard........you get the idea.

I haven't had a parent yet who wasn't fine with it after I explain the liability release is not an OK for me to be negligent. It protects me from SILLY lawsuits.
This is excellent advice Meeko!

It is a great way to explain to parents the difference between negligence and accidents.
Reply Up