Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Summer Lunch Ideas?
AmyLeigh 09:16 AM 05-10-2012
It's already getting to the 90's here. I can make some mean main dish salads and sandwiches can only take one so far. Any cool (pun intended) lunches that you serve when it's just too hot to cook or eat?
lil angels 09:29 AM 05-10-2012
I only have random hot days like that wow it's only may. Anyway I would maybe try some fruit smoothies for breakfast with ice in them. That would make a good snack to. What about maybe on a day it isn't so hot you could make things like breakfast burritos or sloppy joes or tacos and then freeze it so you can just microwave quick and don't have to heat up the house so much. Maybe instead of sandwichs you could make it with a wrap for something different.
Those are some ideas I can think of off the top of my head hope it helps a little.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:01 AM 05-10-2012
Plain yogurt w/fruit. Cottage cheese and fruit. No "main entree," but a meal of snacks: nuts, fruit, veggies, crackers, etc. Veggies cooked at night when it's cooler, eaten cold.
KDC 10:21 AM 05-10-2012
Fruit Kabobs, Cheese & Crackers with loose lunch meat (salami or turkey), cold pasta salads (using italian or marzetti's lite slaw dressing, yum!) Chicken or Tuna Salad in a pita, Freeze yogurt in ice cube trays with sticks for a frozen treat? My Kids love make you're own sandwich day (set up mini sandwich buffet)...

Good Luck!
AfterSchoolMom 10:53 AM 05-10-2012
Turkey and cheese pinwheels, fruit salad, frozen yogurt tubes, watermelon kebabs, homemade "lunchables", pita pizzas made with pizza sauce, shredded cheese, and mini turkey pepperonis (eaten cold), ants on a log...

That's all I've got for now.
AmyLeigh 12:33 PM 05-10-2012
Thanks, everyone. I will keep them in mind when we hit triple digits, which will possibly be soon. My neighbor had her AC going at 6:00 am today! Looks like a rough summer is ahead of us.

Keep the ideas coming!
Countrygal 12:55 PM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by Lise:
Plain yogurt w/fruit. Cottage cheese and fruit. No "main entree," but a meal of snacks: nuts, fruit, veggies, crackers, etc. Veggies cooked at night when it's cooler, eaten cold.
This is what I do, too. Ham chunks, crackers, fresh fruit salad and a lettuce salad, just to give an example. I also cook a lot in the crock pot. We had BBQ beef today that I cooked in the pot. They loved it!
Countrygal 12:56 PM 05-10-2012
Would you believe none - not a single one of my kids will drink fruit smoothies???? I've tried several, even one that had nutella in it! Not a one of them will touch them. I throw the entire batch out. Aaaarrrgggghhhh!!!
AfterSchoolMom 01:28 PM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
Would you believe none - not a single one of my kids will drink fruit smoothies???? I've tried several, even one that had nutella in it! Not a one of them will touch them. I throw the entire batch out. Aaaarrrgggghhhh!!!
Can't you freeze those? (I honestly have no idea, so I'm curious.)
Mydaycare 07:33 PM 05-10-2012
I live in AZ and it's my first summer with my home based daycare so for sure I will be doing lots of cold pasta salads, sandwiches, and many of the above ideas!!!
sharlan 08:01 PM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
Not one of mine, either.
Countrygal 01:03 PM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Can't you freeze those? (I honestly have no idea, so I'm curious.)
That might be worth a try! Thanks for the suggestion!
countrymom 06:57 PM 05-11-2012
I can't believe you have kids who eat all that (my own children would) but these kids eat no fruit or veggies, heck sandwiches are foreign to them too. I think I'm going to start to offer it to them and if they eat then good if not oh well.
nothingwithoutjoy 08:20 PM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Not one of mine, either.
Wow. We do green smoothies: strawberries and kale, for example. They look horrible but taste good--and I tell them that: "this is one of those things that looks terrible but tastes great! Isn't that strange?" It helps when they help search the yard for the greens that go into them. And yes, making popsicles from it is a good way to break in reluctant tasters.
Jenniferdawn 10:57 PM 05-13-2012
We do fruit smoothies too. Usually a bit of kefir or yogurt mixed with frozen berries, banana and either kale or spinach. It's took a few times for my dck to eat them (my kids were raised on them so they love them) but now even my pickiest eater will have it. It was a major milestone here when that happened!

Another easy fairly cool lunch we like here is hummus with lots of different vegis to dip in it and some toasted whole wheat pita bread. Yummy! I usually add a string cheese on the side too.
KEG123 05:35 AM 05-14-2012
This looks yummy! http://weelicious.com/2012/05/02/chicken-caesar-wrap/
Tags:menu, summer, summer food
Reply Up