Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Homemade Toy Idea
lovemykidstoo 04:59 PM 01-11-2017
Has anyone ever made one of these before? If you did, can you post a pic or tell me what you put on it? Did you just attach it to a wall or lay it on the floor etc? I don't think I"d put the pan on it with the magnetic letters.
Attached: toys.jpg (64.6 KB) 
Blackcat31 07:09 PM 01-11-2017
My DH made this. My kiddos it.
ETA: The picture posted sideways... the chain lock is hanging the wrong way... lol!
Attached: IMG_0398.JPG (505.8 KB) 
Mike 07:58 PM 01-11-2017
Interesting ideas for my new woodworking business. It's mostly kids toys and games I make and my slogan is Custom Wood (mostly) Products. I'm going to throw together a couple variations for my store.

It's up to you if you want to hang it or make it a floor model. Floor model, I'd suggest using an A frame and put different things on each side.
284878 06:28 PM 01-12-2017
Originally Posted by Mike:
Interesting ideas for my new woodworking business. It's mostly kids toys and games I make and my slogan is Custom Wood (mostly) Products. I'm going to throw together a couple variations for my store.

It's up to you if you want to hang it or make it a floor model. Floor model, I'd suggest using an A frame and put different things on each side.
LOL I first read this as using a frame, like a picture frame. I thought that was a good idea. But an A frame is good too.

So I wonder if one could build a frame on the wall and change out the center with different types of sensor boards. (locks, shapes or texture)
Blackcat31 06:56 PM 01-12-2017
Originally Posted by 284878:
LOL I first read this as using a frame, like a picture frame. I thought that was a good idea. But an A frame is good too.

So I wonder if one could build a frame on the wall and change out the center with different types of sensor boards. (locks, shapes or texture)
I saw a pin on Pinterest that was a wall with a bunch of 8x10 pictures frames hung super close and in each one was a different fabric swatch to represent different textures and I thought it was a cool idea to use photo frames so you could wash the fabric and/or switch them out
Mom2Two 07:02 PM 01-12-2017
I'm wondering if I could make an outdoor one.

I have one extra busy little boy who is always either taking something apart or putting something together. I keep thinking that he needs his own workshop already. He's a bit hard to keep occupied and is a bit destructive sometimes. I wonder if having something like this would help him.
lovemykidstoo 06:00 AM 01-12-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
ETA: The picture posted sideways... the chain lock is hanging the wrong way... lol!
I'm going to do this this weekend. I think they would love it. So what did you attach all of these gadgets to?
Blackcat31 06:52 AM 01-12-2017
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I'm going to do this this weekend. I think they would love it. So what did you attach all of these gadgets to?
The white background is actually a piece of MDF (medium density fiber board) it's sold in most Home Depot like stores. It's usually sold as the pre-cut shelving. My hubs just put a woodframe around it.

The actual gadgets are regular items bought from Home Depot too... but NONE of them are anything that should be considered a child safety device.

I had a few parents that immediately went "Great! If My kid learns how to work that gadget, they'll get out of the house etc"

......But NONE of the items we choose should ever be used as child safety so IF they do learn how to use it, it's okay..

Mine is on the wall near the bathroom so ANY time someone is waiting in line for the bathroom it's played with. I think it's the one activity I have here that is literally used every single day.
lovemykidstoo 07:26 AM 01-12-2017
The white background is actually a piece of MDF (medium density fiber board) it's sold in most Home Depot like stores. It's usually sold as the pre-cut shelving. My hubs just put a woodframe around it.

The actual gadgets are regular items bought from Home Depot too... but NONE of them are anything that should be considered a child safety device.

I had a few parents that immediately went "Great! If My kid learns how to work that gadget, they'll get out of the house etc"

......But NONE of the items we choose should ever be used as child safety so IF they do learn how to use it, it's okay..

Mine is on the wall near the bathroom so ANY time someone is waiting in line for the bathroom it's played with. I think it's the one activity I have here that is literally used every single day.
Good point lol. Didn't even think of that. I saw quite a few on pinterest. Even keys that hang or a collection of like 3 inch chains that clatter when you move them together, a doorknob I though. Maybe find some things in the clearance isle. I bet it could get pricey if you buy everything new. Maybe hit the garage sales this spring to get more things. I can see how they would love it though.
Blackcat31 08:11 AM 01-12-2017
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Good point lol. Didn't even think of that. I saw quite a few on pinterest. Even keys that hang or a collection of like 3 inch chains that clatter when you move them together, a doorknob I though. Maybe find some things in the clearance isle. I bet it could get pricey if you buy everything new. Maybe hit the garage sales this spring to get more things. I can see how they would love it though.
We actually found the most useful things in the aisle at the car parts store for truck drivers... little mirrors, little latches, etc.... We have an O'Reilly store and an AutoZone and they both have an aisle just for little car trinkets like that.
DaveA 06:08 AM 01-12-2017
I made something similar years ago. Like Mike suggested it was an A Frame. The other side was a mirror.
Tags:homemade, homemade toys
Reply Up