Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Switching Up Schedules
Greenshadow 05:15 PM 11-22-2010
I have a little girl (the only girl in my care!) that I used to watch full time. Her mom is a single mother. She had gone to part time for a couple of months. Last week her mom came to me and told me she would be coming back full time starting immediately. I budgeted for that. Well this morning she called to tell me that she wouldnt be coming back full time, she would actually be on VERY part time. The room mate actually got a few days off during the week so he can keep her for instead of me. So now I will only have her Thurs and Fri from about 12-6:30pm. I also have her occasionally on Saturday from about 8:30 am-1:30pm.

My first concern is what to charge her. My flat rates are 0-25 hours @ $100/wk. 26 hours and up is $125/hr not to exceed 45 hrs/wk. She is a single mother and she has had some hardships. I hate to make her pay so much for so few hours a week. So I was thinking of breaking it down for her by the day. $25/day rather than a flat rate for the week. Does that sound fair to you? Would you do this for a parent?

Also, her spot is wishy washy. She's full time, then part time. Then full time. I cant figure out how to advertise for a spot. I have one full time spot available and with her coming part time now, I have one part time spot available. But what if she switches again and Ive filled the spots? I guess thats too bad for her, but I hate to put her out like that. We really need the money so I cant afford to not put anyone in that part time spot. I wonder if doing that will push her out completely to where she may find alternate care. I really like this family and feel like I should do all I can for them but I can only do so much.
laundrymom 06:04 PM 11-22-2010
I would charge her the least you feel comfortable with right now and let her know that if someone comes in for a full time spot that you are sorry but you will have to let her go. That you have to put your bills first and as much as you love girl,.. you have to think of your own family before others.
AfterSchoolMom 04:14 AM 11-23-2010
Has she complained about the rate? If not, then I don't see the problem. I think I'm in a mean mood today, but my first thought was, she didn't do you a favor by telling you full time then dropping down to less than part time w/ no notice... why would you do her a favor by discounting?

If you feel like helping her out, then by all means. Though I'd take laundry's advice and tell her that if someone comes in, they're out, then look for a full timer to fill the spot.
Greenshadow 05:36 AM 11-23-2010
I agree with you both. I think I will charge her the $25 for the days she comes and also tell her that if I find someone full time to replace her, I will. Thanks guys! Sometimes I think we as providers need validation that the decisions we're making are "right".
legomom922 06:34 AM 11-23-2010
I would bump it up a little to $35/day. I have a PT dcg that comes 2x/wk and thats whats I charge, so at least I get $70 for her. Same situation, single mom etc, but her ex pays her half of what she pays me anyway.
kidkair 12:13 PM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by Greenshadow:
I hate to make her pay so much for so few hours a week.
If you hate to charge what your policies have outlined maybe you should change you policies. Just a suggestion.
Unregistered 03:39 PM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by Greenshadow:
I have a little girl (the only girl in my care!) that I used to watch full time. Her mom is a single mother. She had gone to part time for a couple of months. Last week her mom came to me and told me she would be coming back full time starting immediately. I budgeted for that. Well this morning she called to tell me that she wouldnt be coming back full time, she would actually be on VERY part time. The room mate actually got a few days off during the week so he can keep her for instead of me. So now I will only have her Thurs and Fri from about 12-6:30pm. I also have her occasionally on Saturday from about 8:30 am-1:30pm.

My first concern is what to charge her. My flat rates are 0-25 hours @ $100/wk. 26 hours and up is $125/hr not to exceed 45 hrs/wk. She is a single mother and she has had some hardships. I hate to make her pay so much for so few hours a week. So I was thinking of breaking it down for her by the day. $25/day rather than a flat rate for the week. Does that sound fair to you? Would you do this for a parent?

Also, her spot is wishy washy. She's full time, then part time. Then full time. I cant figure out how to advertise for a spot. I have one full time spot available and with her coming part time now, I have one part time spot available. But what if she switches again and Ive filled the spots? I guess thats too bad for her, but I hate to put her out like that. We really need the money so I cant afford to not put anyone in that part time spot. I wonder if doing that will push her out completely to where she may find alternate care. I really like this family and feel like I should do all I can for them but I can only do so much.

It sounds like you are a pretty compassionate person and that's a good way to be, but remember that you're running a business. I've had parents in the past change their schedules not only going from full to part time, but I've had them change the schedule over and over again. This no longer was working for me so I stopped providing care for the families that were always switching their schedules.

If I were you, I would adjust your contract to reflect the cost of part time versus full time. I charge more for part time care because of the problems that arise from trying to adjust part time schedules to line up and work out the best for not just the family, but for me as well. The cost definitely reflects that.

The idea that you should do all that you can for the mom is not doing you justice. I definitely get why you want to help out the mom but she is responsible for her obligation to you as her daycare provider.

If you want to help her out, then that's a different story, but you should never feel like you have to help people out. When it's something that you feel like you should do, then it's harder to do it because you want to do it. Good luck!
Greenshadow 03:43 PM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by kidkair:
If you hate to charge what your policies have outlined maybe you should change you policies. Just a suggestion.
My policy doesnt state that I pay $25/day for part time care. My part time policy is $100/wk. This is someone in a special situation and I am a humanitarian. I feel that sometimes you go above and beyond for someone else in need. Im just trying to think that way. In this economy, I feel more people should try to work things out with people when they can because times are tough for us all. Compromise is good. As long as everyone doesnt feel like they are getting screwed.

I talked to her today. I am charging her $25 for each day she comes. I think thats fair.
Greenshadow 05:59 PM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
It sounds like you are a pretty compassionate person and that's a good way to be, but remember that you're running a business. I've had parents in the past change their schedules not only going from full to part time, but I've had them change the schedule over and over again. This no longer was working for me so I stopped providing care for the families that were always switching their schedules.

If I were you, I would adjust your contract to reflect the cost of part time versus full time. I charge more for part time care because of the problems that arise from trying to adjust part time schedules to line up and work out the best for not just the family, but for me as well. The cost definitely reflects that.

The idea that you should do all that you can for the mom is not doing you justice. I definitely get why you want to help out the mom but she is responsible for her obligation to you as her daycare provider.

If you want to help her out, then that's a different story, but you should never feel like you have to help people out. When it's something that you feel like you should do, then it's harder to do it because you want to do it. Good luck!
I completely agree! Ive never had to deal with a part timer before so Im really thrown for a loop on this one! I set part time rates but havent ever had to use them. I have three other daycare kids that I watch and they are all full timers. I even have one boy that is part time but his mom pays a full time rate because sometimes she keeps him here longer to get grocery shopping or something done on her own time and doesnt always want him to come along. I appreciate that.

This particular daycare mom who is single with her daughter, I do feel is trying to take advantage of my kindness. She knows I love her daughter too and her daughter is the only girl in my care right now so she is spoiled by me! I talked to the mom today because she called me tonight asking if I could watch her tomorrow, which isnt on the "new schedule" and I told her that my rate would be $25/day and she agreed to it. I guess in alot of ways she is a drop-in child now rather than even a part time slot because of how last-minute her mom can be with her care.

I think Im going to advertise to fill her spot with one full timer and leave it that way with her as a drop-in. I dont want to lose her but this way if I need to take her in later on as full time, I can.
Tags:schedule
Reply Up