Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Untraditional Toy Idea Thread!
cheerfuldom 08:33 PM 06-16-2012
i thought we could post our ideas on toys that cannot be purchased in the toy section at our local store. I know we have some really creative providers here so I would love to see what you have in mind!

Some ideas from me:

*Sorting games. I have empty egg cartons and the kids love sorting buttons, rocks, shells, etc. I also like to add small mirrors to this game to put the items on. For some reason, that is a big hit! This will keep the older ones busy for 30 minutes at a time. Here is a general idea of it....see #7....

http://thehappyhousewife.com/homesch...ol-activities/

I dont make any rules to it. they just go at it and do their own thing.

*I leave sturdy little baskets with handles around the room. These ALWAYS get picked up and played with. They can be a huge variety of things for creative kids and kids seem to love containers.

*here is a really cute idea that I will be doing with my kids....scroll down to the 6th picture

http://thewonderofchildhood.com/2011...-with-waldorf/

*sensory bins. I know this has been discussed before and there are a few threads already on here about it. But in case some newer members would like the idea, here is a good link!

http://www.thepickyapple.com/blog/20...-extravaganza/

*here is a good facebook page with ideas. warning: many of the ideas are not at all realistic for a group setting with multiple ages, but there are a lot of ideas that you can tweak for your own daycare. or use later with just you and your own kids.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Play-a...74614952594331
Countrygal 06:03 AM 06-17-2012
I made some really cool outdoor toys out of pool noodles - make a circle out of a noodle, put a rolled up tissue paper tube in the middle to stabilize where the ends meet and duct tape. Then fasten two noodles straight up in the ground (I used plant stakes) and it's ring toss! I also made a real neat javelin throw game, but the kids broke it - they are rather destructive.

I painted an old tractor tire bright colors and drilled holes in the down-side and made a bright, colorful sandbox for just the cost of the paint!
Lianne 06:43 AM 06-17-2012
I'm just starting to implement some of these ideas into my play space. I'm doing better with it out in the yard because I'm not sure how to present them to my group without it being a sit down, directed activity which defeats the purpose. I have one 4yr old and four others from 18mos-2yrs old. I can't seem to get the 4yr old interested in these activities unless I'm directing them and even then, he only lasts a minute or two before wanting to return to his 'just playing'
Blackcat31 06:54 AM 06-17-2012
My DH made this for me for one of my college courses.

It is fought over everyday as to who's turn it is.....

I'm thinking I might have him make atleast one, maybe two more.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35485
cheerfuldom 07:13 AM 06-17-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

oh! my DH made one of those! I have to post a picture. He even put a working light switch on it. The baby LOVES it
pootmcgoot 07:33 AM 06-17-2012
For my space theme box we are making jet packs for dress up. And for the transportation theme box we are making a fold out box city with roads. I'm saving half gallon soy mIlk cartons for city buildings. Pintrest is amazing for ideas!
spud912 08:06 AM 06-17-2012

I love those! I want one so bad, but we would have to buy a lot of the pieces since we don't have any laying around. I am cut off from spending daycare-related stuff for a little while . Actually, one of my parents made a framed felt board, which is super cool! The kids like to play with it, but I have to limit the amount of felt available because it goes "missing" instantly. I'm pretty sure the culprit is my daughter because I keep finding felt shapes tucked into her bed blankets.
Blackcat31 08:29 AM 06-17-2012
Originally Posted by spud912:
I love those! I want one so bad, but we would have to buy a lot of the pieces since we don't have any laying around. I am cut off from spending daycare-related stuff for a little while . Actually, one of my parents made a framed felt board, which is super cool! The kids like to play with it, but I have to limit the amount of felt available because it goes "missing" instantly. I'm pretty sure the culprit is my daughter because I keep finding felt shapes tucked into her bed blankets.
Too funny about your DD and the felt pieces....she must love the feel of them!

As far as the pieces to the activity board my DH made, you can find alot of those items at garage sales, Goodwill, and at Menard's or Home Depot for under $5.

I have also asked parents for their help in finding some of these items as people just toss random things that can be used for home made activity boards.
Sunchimes 06:00 PM 06-17-2012
This isn't going to be helpful, but I think it's funny. I just have two 22 month olds (and one infant, but he isn't playing yet). At the moment, the favorite toy is a Lakeshore Catalogue. They found it one day and won't give it up. I let them have it because it keeps them occupied for long stretches of time.

Sometimes, they play find the boy/girl. They turn through the pages, point to the children modelling and identify them as boys or girls. We talk about what they are doing, what they are playing with, do they look happy, sad, busy.

Other times, we play "I like". I point to something on the page and say "I like this." They study the page for awhile and then point to something and say "I like this." I've tried to get them to tell me why they like it, but they aren't to that point yet.

Sometimes, they will go get the catalogue off the shelf, sit in one of the Quiet Places, and just look through it.
spud912 06:19 PM 06-17-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
This isn't going to be helpful, but I think it's funny. I just have two 22 month olds (and one infant, but he isn't playing yet). At the moment, the favorite toy is a Lakeshore Catalogue. They found it one day and won't give it up. I let them have it because it keeps them occupied for long stretches of time.

Sometimes, they play find the boy/girl. They turn through the pages, point to the children modelling and identify them as boys or girls. We talk about what they are doing, what they are playing with, do they look happy, sad, busy.

Other times, we play "I like". I point to something on the page and say "I like this." They study the page for awhile and then point to something and say "I like this." I've tried to get them to tell me why they like it, but they aren't to that point yet.

Sometimes, they will go get the catalogue off the shelf, sit in one of the Quiet Places, and just look through it.
My kids always love it when I get Oriental Trading or Discount School Supply catalogs!
Countrygal 06:27 PM 06-17-2012

I found the M&D one in like new condition at a used toy store! The kids love it!!!
AfterSchoolMom 08:26 PM 06-17-2012
I've found tupperware, big plastic spoons, and hard plastic cups to be very popular with younger ones.

Paintbrushes and cups/buckets of water for outside - instant paint with water on the concrete, and no mess!

I also repurposed a wipes container with fabric "wipes" that littles can pull out and play with. I got that idea from Pinterest.
hhdc 10:17 PM 06-18-2012
I love the wipes idea. There have been so many times when I notice that the babies are too quiet only to find 2 or all 3 of them working together to empty the wipes container.

my kids love playsilks. They have so many uses. The babies love to play peek-a-boo, they work for dress-up, the blue ones become water for the pretend play and for bath water for the dolls, my children also just love to look at the colors and sort them out, I have some big enough to make forts.
countrymom 07:52 AM 06-19-2012
I'm going to do this with wipes. Its so funny how they find pulling out wipes amusing.
Tags:home made toys, non-traditional toys, toys
Reply Up