Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>TV While Potty Training? Good Idea, Bad Idea?
preschoolteacher 06:31 AM 09-03-2014
I need expert advice! This is personal, not daycare related.

My 25 month old son is maybe starting to potty train. He immediately wants a new diaper every time he "goes", and he can tell when he's going. I don't think he can tell when he HAS to go. He likes sitting on the potty, but he's only had success going potty once.

What do you think about letting him watch an episode of TV on the tablet while he's trying to go? My friend just potty trained her 2.5 year old daughter in a weekend by taking her to the potty every 25 minutes and having her sit there until she went, sometimes for an hour plus. I don't want to do THAT, but I was thinking one 12 minute episode of the Daniel Tiger potty episode while he was trying.

Do you think that could help a child sit long enough to go?

Is it a bad habit to start?

Could it actually backfire and make potty training worse?

Thanks!!!
Blackcat31 06:38 AM 09-03-2014
Get him one of these

TickleMonster 06:43 AM 09-03-2014
I have actually done this with numerous daycare kids and with my own 3 kids. It worked just fine. They would watch a 20 min episode of something and usually 10-15 minutes in, they had pottied. I say go for it! Whatever makes the process easier is worth a try.
LysesKids 06:58 AM 09-03-2014
Ummm, NO, but then I have no TV in my home and ALL my kids age out before 24 months
preschoolteacher 07:00 AM 09-03-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Get him one of these

Ah!! That's crazy!

I'm applying for a grant from the county right now. Think I could work that one in under Heath and Safety??
Blackcat31 07:04 AM 09-03-2014
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
Ah!! That's crazy!

I'm applying for a grant from the county right now. Think I could work that one in under Heath and Safety??
Well, I AM on the grant review committee.

If the app comes across my way for review, I'll definitely approve it for you!
preschoolteacher 07:04 AM 09-03-2014
Oh wow, it can't be that bad of an idea.

He just went #2 on the potty for the first time!!
preschoolteacher 07:05 AM 09-03-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Well, I AM on the grant review committee.

If the app comes across my way for review, I'll definitely approve it for you!
Oh you are, are you??? Haha!
SignMeUp 08:22 AM 09-03-2014
You two are in the same county?
Controlled Chaos 08:28 AM 09-03-2014
We sing songs and read books on the potty,but never thought of using tv. Good luck! Potty training is the worst haha
Blackcat31 09:14 AM 09-03-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
You two are in the same county?
No. Not in the same county. (I'm in Region 3)

I can only review grants from other counties....otherwise there would be a lot of "favoritism" happening I suppose.

I can't review or approve grants in my own district/area.
spinnymarie 02:41 PM 09-03-2014
We definitely did screen time on the potty, especially when poop was on the way
Meeko 03:42 PM 09-03-2014
I don't use potty chairs and am not going to put a TV in the bathroom LOL!

IMO, anything to do with the potty should not include anything else. I want the child to concentrate on the task at hand.

If they go on the potty while engrossed in TV, they may not even be conscious of what they have done and isn't the whole point to make them aware of their bodily functions? Just my 2 cents worth
preschoolteacher 04:46 PM 09-03-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:

IMO, anything to do with the potty should not include anything else. I want the child to concentrate on the task at hand.

If they go on the potty while engrossed in TV, they may not even be conscious of what they have done and isn't the whole point to make them aware of their bodily functions? Just my 2 cents worth
That's part of my concern!
daycare 04:50 PM 09-03-2014
no I would not use that ...... its gross to be touching something that goes out of the bathroom

I also would not let a kid just sit there and do their business without having to go through the motions of getting up and going into the bathroom.

there are several steps to PT and taking recognition that you have to go, telling someone or just walking into the restroom to do your business. You are going to have to go there anyways because you have to wash your hands.

that things grosses me out
craftymissbeth 08:08 PM 09-03-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:

This.
cheerfuldom 05:40 AM 09-04-2014
no I wouldnt. long sits (more than a few minutes) are just too time consuming and I dont find them effective. The bathroom is for potty only. No TV, no books, no toys, just get in there and do your business and get out. You dont have to entertain and occupy kids all the time. Plus I would think TV distracts them from focusing on their body anyway.
MarinaVanessa 07:31 AM 09-04-2014
Everything that Meeko said

Sounds to me like your child may be showing signs of readiness but I wouldn't push it and I personally wouldn't distract from what is important ... that children need to realize the feeling of needing to go potty. It's my personal opinion that if a parent takes a child to the bathroom at increments and made to sit for periods of time then you're not training the child to potty ... you're training yourself to take the child to go potty. Potty training isn't "successful" until the child recognizes the feeling of having to go and then either tells an adult or goes to the bathroom by him/herself.
Reply Up