Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Spoiled 4 Month Old?
Unregistered 09:28 AM 01-13-2017
Is it possible for a 4 month old to be spoiled? She will cry/scream...like hurt your throat scream, but as soon as I come into view walking towards her, she will stop. When I don't pick her up, she goes straight into rage mode. If I do pick her up, she's content, happy, smiling. If I let her cry a bit and stay out of her sight, she will calm herself down, but as soon as she sees me, it's right back to screaming. Also, she only sleeps for an hour or so at a time 3-4 times/my 9 hour day with her. At what age should she be getting on a regular schedule and nap for longer periods of time only twice/day while in my care? When can I start to let her CIO? Is 4 months too young?
Blackcat31 01:02 PM 01-13-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Is it possible for a 4 month old to be spoiled? She will cry/scream...like hurt your throat scream, but as soon as I come into view walking towards her, she will stop. When I don't pick her up, she goes straight into rage mode. If I do pick her up, she's content, happy, smiling. If I let her cry a bit and stay out of her sight, she will calm herself down, but as soon as she sees me, it's right back to screaming. Also, she only sleeps for an hour or so at a time 3-4 times/my 9 hour day with her. At what age should she be getting on a regular schedule and nap for longer periods of time only twice/day while in my care? When can I start to let her CIO? Is 4 months too young?
Many have opinions on CIO in regards to whether it should or shouldnt be used as well as what age is and isn't appropriate to do it but the most important thing is whether the infants parent's want you to.

If not, you have no choice but to figure out another way of getting baby to sleep.

Personally I don't believe a 4 month old can be spoiled but I do believe a 4 month old is smart enough to recognize the FUN in humans verses entertaining themselves. I think 4-6 months is THE toughest age period for infants because they KNOW humans are fun and toys are fun but they can't quit do any of that on their own so they of course want you too....

I think your best option is to get on the same page as parents (or get them on the same page as you) and make sure baby is being put down for nap and sleep in the same manner at home and at daycare. If the parents are holding or rocking to sleep or even co-sleeping, its going to be tough for you to replicate that at daycare.

In order for babies to thrive in care, it's imperative that providers and parents work together in creating a regular routine for day to day activities such as rest/sleep time and feedings.

Good luck...an all day crier is SOOOOOO hard to deal with.
Josiegirl 03:12 AM 01-14-2017
I also have a 4 mo baby who is taking more catnaps than anything. And it's so hard trying to make them nap when you can't let them sleep in any of the ways I used to when I was a parent, swings, car seats, etc. They like to be cuddled and I'm a complete sucker for being the cuddler.

But does it spoil them? I don't believe so. IMO spoiling a child happens when you cannot say no to their every whim, when every single thing they do gets high praise, when they're not helped to see other's needs, when they're expected to be #1 in everybody's lives, when they're not taught to wait their turn, or to be kind and respectful. IOW when they're a little bit older.

The baby I have isn't a screamer though(Thank the stars) and when she does get upset, it's for a good reason. If I've done everything I feel she's needed, I'll put her in the crib with her pacifier, let her fuss and usually she'll fall asleep in a few minutes. But only maybe for 30-45 minutes. I do need to start keeping her busier as to tire her out more and aim for 2 nap times.
Reply Up