Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Pop Tarts
Unregistered 06:20 PM 07-28-2015
You know how growing up you assume that everyone else lives the same life as you and then as you grow up and meet other people you slowly find out that you do some things differently than everyone else. Growing up we could never have the Pop-Tarts with frosting on them, because that would be dessert, not breakfast. Not that we got Pop-Tarts, with or without frosting, all that often. So pretty much they were a delicacy. Anyway, when you toast the unfrosted Pop-Tarts, putting butter on them is pretty much the only way to go. The butter melts into the crust, it's great all around.

Lately I've been finding out that putting butter on Pop-Tarts is greeted with a near universal "huh?", followed by a semi-universal, "wait, what? gross." Not sure why no one else I've talked to lately has ever done this. Probably because they only eat frosted Pop-Tarts. It's rare to ever see more than the strawberry flavored Pop-Tarts in the unfrosted form these days, although I did happen upon some unfrosted blueberry about a month ago. Anyway, I think they are great, and I encourage you to try it out.
Thriftylady 06:36 PM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
You know how growing up you assume that everyone else lives the same life as you and then as you grow up and meet other people you slowly find out that you do some things differently than everyone else. Growing up we could never have the Pop-Tarts with frosting on them, because that would be dessert, not breakfast. Not that we got Pop-Tarts, with or without frosting, all that often. So pretty much they were a delicacy. Anyway, when you toast the unfrosted Pop-Tarts, putting butter on them is pretty much the only way to go. The butter melts into the crust, it's great all around.

Lately I've been finding out that putting butter on Pop-Tarts is greeted with a near universal "huh?", followed by a semi-universal, "wait, what? gross." Not sure why no one else I've talked to lately has ever done this. Probably because they only eat frosted Pop-Tarts. It's rare to ever see more than the strawberry flavored Pop-Tarts in the unfrosted form these days, although I did happen upon some unfrosted blueberry about a month ago. Anyway, I think they are great, and I encourage you to try it out.
Maybe I am strange, but I can't stand pop-tarts. They are just nasty, you couldn't put enough of anything on them to make them taste good. Not to mention the chemicals. Yeah, I can taste those. DD loves them. I put a couple of boxes in her stocking every year for Christmas and tell her I don't want to see her putting that in her mouth.
Unregistered 07:01 PM 07-28-2015
Funny! I just bought organic pop tarts.....at least they are lower in sugar and no chemicals! I never in my life ate PTs! But these are yummy toasted. They do have frosting.
KJB 08:23 PM 07-28-2015
Hmm I tried them when I was on the go when I was in the Navy...yeah never again I would take a hard to eat plain bagel over all that sweetness and HFCS lol . And the butter over it never heard of it.
Laurel 03:01 AM 07-29-2015
I love the Brown Sugar Cinnamon ones but don't eat them much because they are fattening. If they weren't I'd eat them way more.

Many, many years ago when I wasn't working in childcare a co worker would bring the unfrosted ones to work and put butter on them. They were delicious that way. I had never heard of it either.

I wish they were healthy but since they're not I limit them.

Laurel
mommyneedsadayoff 06:02 AM 07-29-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

My family was the same way! And everyone looks at me like I am a weirdo, including my husband! We put butter on them because it is awesome fresh and hot with melted butter. It is the only way I eat them and I cannot stand those new flavors, like ice cream sundae and chocolate chip cookie dough...too sweet for me!
Rockgirl 06:19 AM 07-29-2015
I grew up eating them toasted with butter, too! I only allow myself to have them occasionally now, but YUM!
Blackcat31 11:19 AM 07-29-2015
The only time I've ever heard of adding butter is when a child is in dire need of additional calories. Otherwise, why add something not very nutritious to something already not very nutritious?

They're okay though....I've eaten my fair share of them in my younger/college/"can't afford real food" days....I've also bought them for my own children from time to time as a treat.

Oh and just in case anyone wants to know..... the peanut butter ones are like peanut butter cookies.
Rockgirl 11:25 AM 07-29-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The only time I've ever heard of adding butter is when a child is in dire need of additional calories. Otherwise, why add something not very nutritious to something already not very nutritious?
Just because it tastes wonderful. When I eat pop tarts, I'm not thinking about nutrition or calories--just about yumminess.
Blackcat31 11:35 AM 07-29-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Just because it tastes wonderful. When I eat pop tarts, I'm not thinking about nutrition or calories--just about yumminess.
Oh I am sure they are delicious but when my DH got diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, our whole family revamped our eating habits and now a treat is not necessarily something so sweet... Now a treat is something low carb or whole grain with raspberry jam(sugar free of course)

Once you stop eating sugary foods, your palate changes and sweet stuff that used to sound awesome now make me gag...

I add milk to my sugar-free coffee creamer because its too sweet..
mommyneedsadayoff 11:49 AM 07-29-2015

They're okay though....I've eaten my fair share of them in my younger/college/"can't afford real food" days....I've also bought them for my own children from time to time as a treat.

Oh and just in case anyone wants to know..... the peanut butter ones are like peanut butter cookies.
Poptarts are not and will never be nutritious, but REAL butter is actually quite good for you. Real butter scares people because of all the misinformation there is out there about saturated fats.
Blackcat31 12:25 PM 07-29-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Poptarts are not and will never be nutritious, but REAL butter is actually quite good for you. Real butter scares people because of all the misinformation there is out there about saturated fats.
Oh, I know allllllll about real butter.

It's one of my only vices.
mommyneedsadayoff 01:38 PM 07-29-2015
Oh, I know allllllll about real butter.

It's one of my only vices.
Mine too! My hubby thinks I am crazy, because I will make air popped popcorn and then douse it in grass fed butter, but I LOVE it, so I make the excuse that it is real butter and not processed oil/margarine (even thought the amount I put on my popcorn is obscene)! He still thinks I am crazy! I make my own butter sometimes too and could eat with a spoon Probably not as healthy, but SO good!
Reply Up