Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Reggio / Waldorf / Forest Kindergarten / Granola / Natural - Learning Methods>Reggio Emilia
melskids 10:23 AM 10-29-2010
does anyone use this approach? i'm very interested in learning more about it. where do i start? any good book suggestions or websites? TIA!

*whoops, i meant reggio amilia.
Blackcat31 10:32 AM 10-29-2010
We are currently studying this teaching method in my Guidance class....here is a good website:
http://www.reggioalliance.org/ Good luck. It is an interesting approach. Very popular in Italy
SunflowerMama 11:00 AM 10-29-2010
I just read a little on it (hadn't heard of it before). It looks like a great approach! I wish I had a better setup to include more nature experiences and fun outdoors exploring. I have the smallest yard on the planet so as the husband and I start thinking about our next home, a large amount of land is definitely a top priority.

Best of luck I think it looks great for the kids!
Crystal 12:59 PM 10-29-2010
I practice Reggio Emilia. Not 100%, but very close.

There are a few books that I recommend, the easiest read and the best for making it more understandable and realistic for FCC is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Emergent-Curri...8&sr=1-2-spell

Then the more difficult to read, but VERY good if you can get through it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Hundred-Langua...8384236&sr=1-2
Crystal 01:00 PM 10-29-2010
Reggio Emilia is actually a city in Italy. The community there developed the schools that practice the philosophy. That is why it is called the Reggio Emilia Approach. Practice is very much about Community, as much as it is about anything else.
Michael 01:02 PM 10-29-2010
This is the first I have heard of reggio amilia. If it's Italian, it must be good.
Crystal 01:04 PM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
does anyone use this approach? i'm very interested in learning more about it. where do i start? any good book suggestions or websites? TIA!

*whoops, i meant reggio amilia .
you were right, it's Emilia
melskids 02:11 PM 10-29-2010
thank you crystal. i always appreciate you sharing your wealth of knowlege.

and blackcat, thanks! i just checked out that website too....
Maria2013 10:18 AM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Reggio Emilia is actually a city in Italy. The community there developed the schools that practice the philosophy. That is why it is called the Reggio Emilia Approach. Practice is very much about Community, as much as it is about anything else.
interesting, my whole family lives allover Italy and none of us has ever heard of this Reggio Emilia approach
nothingwithoutjoy 11:41 AM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
interesting, my whole family lives allover Italy and none of us has ever heard of this Reggio Emilia approach
As in the rest of the world, it's not well-known among people who aren't early childhood educators, even in Italy. It's a world-renowned approach, based on the municipal early-childhood programs of Reggio Emilia (which differs from other Italian cities.)
nothingwithoutjoy 12:05 PM 10-10-2013

*whoops, i meant reggio amilia.
Some of my favorite books on the Reggio Emilia approach include:
In the Spirit of the Studio (applying studio principles to various settings),
The Little Ones of Silent Movies (an example of a toddler project in Reggio. Any of the Reggio Children books about a specific project are awesome and inspiring, but I like this one in particular because it's about toddlers, which you don't see as often)
Designs for Living and Learning: Transforming Early Childhood Environments (not specifically Reggio, but very inspiring and certainly Reggio-inspired. For that matter, any of Margie and Deb's books are inspiring and set you along a Reggio-inspired path.)
Authentic Childhood (Reggio from an American teachers' perspective)

There are so many! But that's a good start!
MarinaVanessa 01:16 PM 10-10-2013
Crystal you seem to be the most familiar with this approach so maybe you can shed some light on something for me ...

One important thing about this approach is that flexibility in the learning experience is key ... does this mean that you have to plan only a few weeks in advance period or can someone like me (that has a guideline about what to focus on each month .. such as I know what topic, color. letter etc we will worK on each month) still be considered flexible since I plan the actual activities a month in advance but the lessons themselves are child led.

For example, I know that every September one of the things that I focus on is the color red so I may decide to help the children make red play dough, then later we will play with it and continue to do so for the a few weeks to remind the children. The discussions during the activities may cover other topics that the children are interested while still experiencing the color red. Think teachable moments. Am I making any sense?
Blackcat31 02:29 PM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Crystal you seem to be the most familiar with this approach so maybe you can shed some light on something for me ...

One important thing about this approach is that flexibility in the learning experience is key ... does this mean that you have to plan only a few weeks in advance period or can someone like me (that has a guideline about what to focus on each month .. such as I know what topic, color. letter etc we will worK on each month) still be considered flexible since I plan the actual activities a month in advance but the lessons themselves are child led.

For example, I know that every September one of the things that I focus on is the color red so I may decide to help the children make red play dough, then later we will play with it and continue to do so for the a few weeks to remind the children. The discussions during the activities may cover other topics that the children are interested while still experiencing the color red. Think teachable moments. Am I making any sense?
I think in a way, it would fit RE but the biggest aspect of this approach is that the child is viewed as being an active constructor of knowledge...rather than being seen as the target of instruction.

I think you "could" incorporate the theme "red" into your lesson-plan but it wouldn't necessarily be considered something the child was interested in learning about unless you let them control what activities and what things they wanted to know and learn about red....kwim?

LOL!..Re-reading this makes little sense... I'm sorry....I don't know how to explain it (atleast not at the moment... ) If you go to the site I linked to http://www.reggioalliance.org/faq.php and visit the FAQ section, it really does a good job of explaining what I "think" you are asking about....especially the philosophical questions.
melskids 02:52 PM 10-10-2013
WOW! I first posted this question in 2010.

A LOT has changed for me since then.

I am now 100% child-led & play based, highly influenced by aspects of Reggio Emilia. (I love Waldorf and Montessori too!)

And to think, three years ago, I couldn't even spell it. LOL
Heidi 03:15 PM 10-10-2013

I am now 100% child-led & play based, highly influenced by aspects of Reggio Emilia. (I love Waldorf and Montessori too!)

nothingwithoutjoy 05:10 PM 10-10-2013

Oops! Sorry! In my earlier responses, I didn't notice the original posting date!

It is amazing how much a person can change over time when they really want to learn something, isn't it? :-)
melskids 02:47 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Oops! Sorry! In my earlier responses, I didn't notice the original posting date!

It is amazing how much a person can change over time when they really want to learn something, isn't it? :-)
It sure is! I'm not even CLOSE to the same person I was 3 years ago. LOL That's what I love though.....being on a journey of constantly learning and evolving...right along side of the children.

And thanks for posting. I had never heard of The Little Ones of Silent Movies. I'm going to have to check that one out! I have mostly toddler sin my program, and you're right, you don't find as much info geared towards them.
MarinaVanessa 05:28 PM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think in a way, it would fit RE but the biggest aspect of this approach is that the child is viewed as being an active constructor of knowledge...rather than being seen as the target of instruction.

I think you "could" incorporate the theme "red" into your lesson-plan but it wouldn't necessarily be considered something the child was interested in learning about unless you let them control what activities and what things they wanted to know and learn about red....kwim?

LOL!..Re-reading this makes little sense... I'm sorry....I don't know how to explain it (atleast not at the moment... ) If you go to the site I linked to http://www.reggioalliance.org/faq.php and visit the FAQ section, it really does a good job of explaining what I "think" you are asking about....especially the philosophical questions.
Ahh thanks BC, I do see now. I like the approach, just don't see how that part would work for me ... I'll definitely take ideas from it though
childcaremom 04:13 AM 09-06-2015
I know this thread is older....

I reopened in the spring after a short closure and am really inspired and interested in letting children take the lead in their learning. I am drawn to the Reggio method and also the Montessori and Waldorf approaches, as well.

I am ordering the 2 following books:
Emergent Curriculum
First Steps Towards Teaching the Reggio Emilia Way

to help me get a more definitive idea of this approach.

My group will be mostly young toddlers (1s) and one older (3). I have seen a lot of blogs, articles, set ups, etc for older preschoolers but not a lot for younger children. Does anyone have experience with this?

Can I gear this approach towards the youngest ones or is it more suitable for the older children? I guess I am thinking that I would like to research and get in gear for the group as it ages.... but can I start now with them?
Tags:reggio emilia
Reply Up