Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Help with Fire Marshal Regulations
NannyMommy 07:38 AM 09-20-2016
I have taken care of children in my home according to the state's rules for about 10 years. In Ohio, I was able to have up to 6 children without being licensed. In Maine, I am allowed only 2. So, when I finally was ready and was expecting more than 2, I became licensed. But only my first floor was approved by the fire marshal.

I have always had kids nap in their own rooms, upstairs, with video surveillance. They take a 2 hour nap +/- every day. I was informed by the state fire marshal that I need to have a fire door at the top of my 2-story home to even consider napping the kids upstairs.

I've been napping them together (separated as much as possible) in my living room and it's hell for everyone. Parents are upset and it's a disaster. They are not getting used to it, and I have 3-4 exhausted kids. I am considering adding a door at the top of my stairs.

My question is, are there other strange rules for upstairs use that would make it impossible to nap them up there? I don't want to install a fire door and then not be allowed anyway. We have egress windows in each room.

Does anybody know Maine state rules?
organicdclady 08:20 AM 09-20-2016
I am sorry I am not in Maine, but California.
I went through the process of getting a large license at the beginning of this year.
The best advice I can give you is to go to the office of the fire marshal and ask for a copy of the regulations.
If you have questions, call the fire marshal directly.
I got a lot of incorrect information from searching online and talking with local dc providers.
daycare 08:41 AM 09-20-2016
as frustrating as it may be, I would do as the PP suggested.

I would call your licensing and fire marshal and let them know what you intend to do and how can you do it the right way. I have learned that even different cities and counties have different rules within the fire clearance standards.

I have all of my kids napping in one room, I do have the sit there the first 10-15 minutes making sure everyone is asleep and I have 12 all in one room. It is possible, but it does take time to transition them to do it successfully each day.
Blackcat31 09:13 AM 09-20-2016
Originally Posted by NannyMommy:
I have taken care of children in my home according to the state's rules for about 10 years. In Ohio, I was able to have up to 6 children without being licensed. In Maine, I am allowed only 2. So, when I finally was ready and was expecting more than 2, I became licensed. But only my first floor was approved by the fire marshal.

I have always had kids nap in their own rooms, upstairs, with video surveillance. They take a 2 hour nap +/- every day. I was informed by the state fire marshal that I need to have a fire door at the top of my 2-story home to even consider napping the kids upstairs.

I've been napping them together (separated as much as possible) in my living room and it's hell for everyone. Parents are upset and it's a disaster. They are not getting used to it, and I have 3-4 exhausted kids. I am considering adding a door at the top of my stairs.

My question is, are there other strange rules for upstairs use that would make it impossible to nap them up there? I don't want to install a fire door and then not be allowed anyway. We have egress windows in each room.

Does anybody know Maine state rules?
It says in the Maine family child care rules/regulations that each provider home must meet the local fire marshal codes according to your state, county, city and area ordinances.

So what is acceptable two counties over in the same state may not be acceptable in your area. This is something you need to go straight to your local offices to find out more about.
thrivingchildcarecom 09:44 AM 09-20-2016
I am in California and I am not really versed on regulations for Ohio. But do you have a CCR in your area? They might be able to give you some guidance and even tell you what is needed to get your upstairs area compliant so you can use it.
Play Care 09:46 AM 09-20-2016
I feel your pain! For several years I had my upstairs approved for napping. Afternoon naps were awesome. Kids were well rested and the rest of the day was usually great.
Then with the last batch of new regs, we could no longer nap upstairs unless we had to stairs to the main level. So all my kids have to nap on my open concept main level.

It IS he!!, especially when I enroll infants. The crying just carried through the main level. When everyone is 1+ it isn't as bad.
So, no words of wisdom, just commiseration!
Leigh 11:56 AM 09-20-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It says in the Maine family child care rules/regulations that each provider home must meet the local fire marshal codes according to your state, county, city and area ordinances.

So what is acceptable two counties over in the same state may not be acceptable in your area. This is something you need to go straight to your local offices to find out more about.
The good news is that local codes might be more able to be changed. It would be work and you might lose, but you could try. Another thing: my city has some daycare regs that are unenforceable because they contradict STATE laws (not just more restrictive, but they are actually in violation of state laws). So, our licensing dept advised us to ignore them, since they're unenforceable. I would NOT ignore the fire marshall, but I'd check into whether his or her rules are enforceable, too!
Reply Up