Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Seeking Advice, Mom Wants To Put DCB Back In Care Full Days
Crazy Baby 02:07 PM 04-17-2017
I have been caring for a DCB for around 3 years now. About 6 months ago, his parents put him in half day preschool. He went from being in my care for 4 full days to being in my care 2 half days and one full day.

Recently Mom tells me that she will be putting him back in full time for summer break. I said OK that is fine. I was a little perturbed that she just told me and didn't ask me, but I agreed.

I overhear her talking with her husband saying that she just wants to keep him in my care full time until like spring of next year because they are sick of running him back and forth to preschool and having to leave work.

Yes, this is more convenient for them, but a huge burden on me. If I take the child back into care full time, I will be working 10.5 hour days with 2 of those hours being just for that child.

I recently started doing a side job at home because I had that extra time that DCB was no longer coming to me. This new schedule would really interfere with that as well.

I want to propose to her that if DCB comes full days again, we would need to change her schedule. She would need to pick up sooner than 5:30PM. I know that this will be a huge inconvenience to her, but I just can't do the 10.5 hours everyday.

I don't want to lose their business or screw them over. It's not unreasonable to make this sort of request is it?

Also, I suppose that I was happy that DCB was "aging out" of my daycare by transitioning into preschool. It's disappointing to me that we are going backwards.
Leigh 02:20 PM 04-17-2017
It has to work for YOU. Here, we have a public transit system that runs kids to and from preschool and the lower grades (it isn't free, but it's cheap). Do you have any bussing options that you can let them know about?
Josiegirl 02:38 PM 04-17-2017
Is there a reason why they need a day that long? Would it be difficult for them to change their schedule and make it shorter? If so, just tell them the old schedule no longer works for you and it would have to be this new schedule, due to your side job. Don't feel you have to say yes and don't let them dictate your schedule. Like the PP said, do what works for YOU.
LysesKids 02:58 PM 04-17-2017
Originally Posted by Crazy Baby:
I have been caring for a DCB for around 3 years now. About 6 months ago, his parents put him in half day preschool. He went from being in my care for 4 full days to being in my care 2 half days and one full day.

Recently Mom tells me that she will be putting him back in full time for summer break. I said OK that is fine. I was a little perturbed that she just told me and didn't ask me, but I agreed.

I overhear her talking with her husband saying that she just wants to keep him in my care full time until like spring of next year because they are sick of running him back and forth to preschool and having to leave work.

Yes, this is more convenient for them, but a huge burden on me. If I take the child back into care full time, I will be working 10.5 hour days with 2 of those hours being just for that child.

I recently started doing a side job at home because I had that extra time that DCB was no longer coming to me. This new schedule would really interfere with that as well.

I want to propose to her that if DCB comes full days again, we would need to change her schedule. She would need to pick up sooner than 5:30PM. I know that this will be a huge inconvenience to her, but I just can't do the 10.5 hours everyday.

I don't want to lose their business or screw them over. It's not unreasonable to make this sort of request is it?

Also, I suppose that I was happy that DCB was "aging out" of my daycare by transitioning into preschool. It's disappointing to me that we are going backwards.
I have an outside limit of 10 hrs day... anything over is either 5/hr with advance notice minimum of 12 hours & then only if I can accommodate it (they pay my late fee pick up if they stay late & I didn't agree to work over), or they can contract a full 12 hrs daily & pay extra regardless of usage; that extra 10 hrs week I make it work for me pay wise because I only had one family ever use it and they really needed the extra hours due to their careers
e.j. 07:01 PM 04-17-2017
One of the perks of owning your own business is that you get to decide what hours work best for you. Let the dc parents know that you no longer offer the same hours you once did. Tell them what your new hours are and let them decide if your new hours work for them. It's not unreasonable for you to set business hours - every business owner does it.
childcaremom 01:24 AM 04-18-2017
Originally Posted by e.j.:
One of the perks of owning your own business is that you get to decide what hours work best for you. Let the dc parents know that you no longer offer the same hours you once did. Tell them what your new hours are and let them decide if your new hours work for them. It's not unreasonable for you to set business hours - every business owner does it.

Also, if they've been able to make arrangements to pick him up to/from preschool, then they should be able to accomodate an earlier pick up.

Either way, do what works for you.

Dcm, since dcb left I've changed my hours of operation. I now close at x pm. Let me know if that works for you.

OR

I sort of got the feeling that perhaps you didn't want dcb to come back?

Dcm, I'm sorry but after reviewing my schedule, I will only have a full day space for dcb for the summer OR I do not have a full day space for dcb OR whatever you decide.

Ariana 02:02 PM 04-18-2017
Completely agree! This is your business and although it is nice to be accommodating you can't throw yourself under the bus

"I am definitely ok with DCB coming back full days but just to let you know my hours have changed since you left. My hours are now from 7-4pm (or whatever they are). Hopefully that works for you but I understand if it doesn't. Let me know!
Thanks,
Crazy Baby"
Crazy Baby 03:59 PM 04-18-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Is there a reason why they need a day that long? Would it be difficult for them to change their schedule and make it shorter? If so, just tell them the old schedule no longer works for you and it would have to be this new schedule, due to your side job. Don't feel you have to say yes and don't let them dictate your schedule. Like the PP said, do what works for YOU.
It isn't that they need a day that long, it is because I start my day at 7 AM and would like it to end before 5:30PM. They are asking for a reasonable amount of time, but they are the only family that needs care that late.
Crazy Baby 04:02 PM 04-18-2017
Originally Posted by childcaremom:

Also, if they've been able to make arrangements to pick him up to/from preschool, then they should be able to accomodate an earlier pick up.

Either way, do what works for you.

Dcm, since dcb left I've changed my hours of operation. I now close at x pm. Let me know if that works for you.

OR

I sort of got the feeling that perhaps you didn't want dcb to come back?

Dcm, I'm sorry but after reviewing my schedule, I will only have a full day space for dcb for the summer OR I do not have a full day space for dcb OR whatever you decide.

I've had the boy for a while and they are somewhat annoying to deal with. They are late all of the time and he is just a really wound up guy. We are friend and neighbors, so I never wanted any tension by letting them go. I don't think they have been bad enough to let go either. I have just been secretly looking forward to the day when DCB would age out of my daycare. I thought I was getting to that point, but it looks like I still have another year or so.
Crazy Baby 04:04 PM 04-18-2017
Yes, good advice from you all. My hours are changing for sure. Thanks.
daycare 05:27 AM 04-19-2017
do you have contracted hours?

I have set times that a parent can pick:

example: 8:00-4:30 is my most common pick up and drop off contracted hours that I have.

it sounded like to me that the family is just trying to use your open to close hours?
Blackcat31 05:36 AM 04-19-2017
~I was a little perturbed that she just told me and didn't ask me, but I agreed.

~ because they are sick of running him back and forth to preschool and having to leave work.

~but a huge burden on me. If I take the child back into care full time,

~ 2 of those hours being just for that child.

~ This new schedule would really interfere with that as well.

~but I just can't do the 10.5 hours everyday.

~I was happy that DCB was "aging out" of my daycare

~It's disappointing to me that we are going backwards.

~I start my day at 7 AM and would like it to end before 5:30PM.

~but they are the only family that needs care that late.

~and they are somewhat annoying to deal with.

~are late all of the time and

~he is just a really wound up guy.

~I have just been secretly looking forward to the day when DCB would age out of my daycare.

~I thought I was getting to that point,
Sounds to me like you already know what you want (or rather don't want) to do.
AmyKidsCo 08:32 AM 04-19-2017

My #1 rule: Parents will always ALWAYS do what's best for them. ALWAYS. So don't worry about "screwing them over" because they don't worry about screwing you over.

IMO you have the advantage because you have something they want - a full time spot. I think you should tell them your terms for accepting the child back full time, and if that doesn't work for them they can find other care. His time with you is limited anyway, so it's not like you're losing a child who could be with you another 3 years.
Crazy Baby 09:49 AM 04-19-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
My #1 rule: Parents will always ALWAYS do what's best for them. ALWAYS. So don't worry about "screwing them over" because they don't worry about screwing you over.

IMO you have the advantage because you have something they want - a full time spot. I think you should tell them your terms for accepting the child back full time, and if that doesn't work for them they can find other care. His time with you is limited anyway, so it's not like you're losing a child who could be with you another 3 years.
You are exactly right.

Also, yes we do have contracted hours, but my circumstances have changed and I no longer want to work 10.5 hour long days.
Tags:hours - cutting down
Reply Up