Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Neat Little Trick
Josiegirl 03:11 AM 04-26-2017
Our teacher shared a cool idea last night. I have a 4 yo dcg who cannot get the idea of cutting with scissors. At all. I've tried the hand over hand and she always reverts back to her way. She said to set them up for cutting like we normally would. Then move their chair back away from the table. It automatically drops their hand to a lower position and makes it much more conducive for cutting. She said you may have to help by holding the paper. Also, start with strips of paper plates and go with snipping first. An idea she told was get out the sensory tub, duct tape scissors to the sides(on yarn/string) and fill that with all kinds of paper to cut. She did it in one of her classes and said it was THE most popular place for a month. Definitely going to give those ideas a try!!
ColorfulSunburst 04:37 AM 04-26-2017
Here kids start using scissors by cutting play dough. I draw a happy face on theirs thumb's nails and say that during cutting they should see that happy face.
Josiegirl 10:17 AM 04-26-2017
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
Here kids start using scissors by cutting play dough. I draw a happy face on theirs thumb's nails and say that during cutting they should see that happy face.
Ooh I like that idea too Thanks!
Sunchimes 12:51 PM 04-26-2017
I have been stalling on scissor work. I just have one ready. She is, and has been for months,totally obsessed with haircuts. She was a micro preemie, and it has taken years for her to get a head of hair. She will cut her own hair at some point. I really don't want it to happen here!! I
Reply Up