Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>You Brought WHAT Into My Home!?!?
Poptarts22 10:58 AM 04-28-2017
I am livid!!! Went to get a diaper out of a bag for an (almost) 3 y.o. Felt a crackling in side zipper pocket and unzipped it to find a ziploc with 8 tiny pills inbit. Because my son is a pharmacist, it was easy to have them identified as a prescription pain killer Tramadol. I have a termination letter printed off and I am trying to calm myself before her 2:00 pick up. BTW, this mom has a felony conviction already on her record for trying to smuggle contraband into a Federal Prison for her BF. Ugh! The people you encounter in this World!
mommyneedsadayoff 11:02 AM 04-28-2017
Originally Posted by Poptarts22:
I am livid!!! Went to get a diaper out of a bag for an (almost) 3 y.o. Felt a crackling in side zipper pocket and unzipped it to find a ziploc with 8 tiny pills inbit. Because my son is a pharmacist, it was easy to have them identified as a prescription pain killer Tramadol. I have a termination letter printed off and I am trying to calm myself before her 2:00 pick up. BTW, this mom has a felony conviction already on her record for trying to smuggle contraband into a Federal Prison for her BF. Ugh! The people you encounter in this World!

So glad you found it and not some little hands! I clean to calm down, so scrub the sink and hopefully you will feel better before she comes!
AmyKidsCo 11:06 AM 04-28-2017

Glad you found it before a child did!

I strongly discourage parents from bringing bags because I don't have time to check through them, and I have everything the child needs so they really don't need a bag anyway.
hgonzalez 11:13 AM 04-28-2017
OMG, that's horrible. I can't believe someone would bring something like that in your daycare home, let alone have it around their own kids.
daycarediva 11:19 AM 04-28-2017
One found used needles in a carseat.

NOTHING comes in my house except clothes (that I wash)
Cat Herder 11:22 AM 04-28-2017
This type of thing is why many daycares have a "no diaper bags or car seats allowed" policy.

Sadly, this wont be the last time this happens in a daycare, across the country, this hour.
LysesKids 11:39 AM 04-28-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
One found used needles in a carseat.

NOTHING comes in my house except clothes (that I wash)
... I only ask for clothes to be changed out each season or when it's obvious a babe has outgrown the current items. No diaper bags, carseats NADA
dreamer 11:41 AM 04-28-2017
Horrifying! Is it really do hard to be a good parent? My goodness! Sorry you had to deal with this!
lovemykidstoo 11:46 AM 04-28-2017
That is horrible!!! So glad you found them. I would rip her a new one. Wow!
Cat Herder 12:03 PM 04-28-2017
Are you going to report?
thrivingchildcarecom 12:09 PM 04-28-2017
OMG! This job reveals so much you just never would expect to encounter. I wonder should you advise DPSS in case of possible child abuse?
Cat Herder 12:16 PM 04-28-2017
Originally Posted by thrivingchildcarecom:
I wonder should you advise DPSS in case of possible child abuse?
IMHO, This would be illegal possession of a controlled substance by a known felon. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3719
Pestle 12:17 PM 04-28-2017
I'm struggling with the "no car seats" right now because I have two families that only own one car seat and, in each family, Dad works an early schedule so he can't drop off, and Mom works a late schedule so she can't pick up.

I trust both families--one's a school teacher and the other's a police officer--but right now I'm hiding their car seats in a back bedroom so the third family with an infant doesn't see I'm not universally enforcing my policy.

Whaddoi do?

Note: I do this because 1. My daughter has food allergies, and 2. Somebody dropped off a bag with a bloody tampon applicator in it and I grabbed it while fishing for a clean shirt.
Pestle 12:29 PM 04-28-2017
I don't know how mandatory reporting works in your state, but here I'm only required to report drugs if they're involved in the abuse or neglect of a child. You don't just report every crime committed by people who have children.

I terminated care for a family when I was sitting from their home and they left drug paraphernalia out in reach of the kids. But I didn't report them, because if I were to report every person who smoked pot, spanked their kids, and insufficiently babyproofed their home and yard, I'd have to report like half the parents on Earth.

So it's up to you to decide whether leaving potentially lethal (I Googled it and apparently Tramadol's dangerous but not as dangerous as many other painkillers) drugs in your home falls under mandatory reporting (I probably would report it, or at least call my licensing agent and ask for advice), and if it doesn't, whether you want to report them anyway.
Blackcat31 12:34 PM 04-28-2017
I don't know....

If I felt crackling in a side zipper pouch I personally wouldn't have going rummaging around in someone else's bag.

I also wouldn't have involved my son. Pharmacist or not.

Were you aware of the DCM's prior conviction for trying to smuggle drugs in to a prison? If so, the first thing I would have done is bag ALL bags, container etc from this parent.

I also think that if it's that serious, why are you even taking the time to write a term letter and then waiting until pick up?? You should be calling to police immediately and letting them deal with her.

Aside from the pills not being in a prescription pill bottle, I am wondering if perhaps they are legally prescribed to the mom.

Depending....this is also a common med to treat moderate to on-going pain...one of my DCM's takes it for Rheumatoid Arthritis
jenboo 12:42 PM 04-28-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I'm struggling with the "no car seats" right now because I have two families that only own one car seat and, in each family, Dad works an early schedule so he can't drop off, and Mom works a late schedule so she can't pick up.

I trust both families--one's a school teacher and the other's a police officer--but right now I'm hiding their car seats in a back bedroom so the third family with an infant doesn't see I'm not universally enforcing my policy.

Whaddoi do?

Note: I do this because 1. My daughter has food allergies, and 2. Somebody dropped off a bag with a bloody tampon applicator in it and I grabbed it while fishing for a clean shirt.
The cosco scenera next is at Wal-Mart for $45. You can find certain patterns on their website for $34. It will fit from birth-3ish yrs old rear facing.

Im an infant toddler daycare and do not allow car seats.
CalCare 01:53 PM 04-28-2017
I took tramadol for years. It was prescribed. I often threw a few in a ziplock when going out for the day. It wasn't the best move for the DCM to put that ziplock inside the diaper bag and leave it at childcare. But I can see how they accidentally did. I'm sure she went out with that diaper bag as her purse, just like many of us moms do every day. I don't see how that means DCM is breaking the law or is abusing the child. Anyway, as we are all aware, this is how kids often get poisoning: pills found in mom's purse. Definitely not a safe situation to have the pills in a diaper bag at a childcare!
Ariana 02:19 PM 04-28-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't know....

If I felt crackling in a side zipper pouch I personally wouldn't have going rummaging around in someone else's bag.

Were you aware of the DCM's prior conviction for trying to smuggle drugs in to a prison? If so, the first thing I would have done is bag ALL bags, container etc from this parent.

I also think that if it's that serious, why are you even taking the time to write a term letter and then waiting until pick up?? You should be calling to police immediately and letting them deal with her.

Aside from the pills not being in a prescription pill bottle, I am wondering if perhaps they are legally prescribed to the mom.

Depending....this is also a common med to treat moderate to on-going pain...one of my DCM's takes it for Rheumatoid Arthritis
This is how I feel about it too. If I were to find it I would simply tell DCM to keep the pills at home and a second violation would result in a term. There is no way kids are ever in my entryway to have access to bags and to me there is nothing nefarious going on that I can prove. If it was an illegal non prescription drug then I understand.
Poptarts22 04:57 PM 04-28-2017
I don't know....

First-my house! She brought a diaper bag to a home filled with children, and I should have NOT gone rummaging through the bag to see what was crackling? Are you some kind of special!?! My job is to protect the kids in my care. If I want to "rummage" through anything brought into my home, I will do so!
Second- how does a text pic of a pill asking "what's this?" 'Involve' my son? He knew no back story, so I didn't 'involve' him in anything. I asked him a question.
Third-I am waiting to term until she pick up because the medication was found At noon, she works 45 min away and she has a regular 2:00 pick up. How much quicker than that should I terminate?
Oh, and if the pill is legal, or not legally prescribed, it is still potentially lethal when swallowed by a child. Kinda weird how that works, so I don't care if she has 500 prescriptions for that medication-when she made it easily accessible to a child she endangered the kids in my care and showed complete carelessness!
Blackcat31 06:17 PM 04-28-2017
Originally Posted by Poptarts22:
First-my house! She brought a diaper bag to a home filled with children, and I should have NOT gone rummaging through the bag to see what was crackling? Are you some kind of special!?! My job is to protect the kids in my care. If I want to "rummage" through anything brought into my home, I will do so!
Second- how does a text pic of a pill asking "what's this?" 'Involve' my son? He knew no back story, so I didn't 'involve' him in anything. I asked him a question.
Third-I am waiting to term until she pick up because the medication was found At noon, she works 45 min away and she has a regular 2:00 pick up. How much quicker than that should I terminate?
Oh, and if the pill is legal, or not legally prescribed, it is still potentially lethal when swallowed by a child. Kinda weird how that works, so I don't care if she has 500 prescriptions for that medication-when she made it easily accessible to a child she endangered the kids in my care and showed complete carelessness!

Your perception is your reality.....
...... and we clearly do not see things from the same viewpoint.

Nothing wrong with that.

I shared my opinion.
I am neither judge nor jury.

So no need to get defensive.
LysesKids 08:59 PM 04-28-2017
Your perception is your reality.....
...... and we clearly do not see things from the same viewpoint.

Nothing wrong with that.

I shared my opinion.
I am neither judge nor jury.

So no need to get defensive.
I can see some of her view point; I have young toddlers that will investigate anything... exactly why I ban diaper bags. That said, I have had to rifle thru a Foster care drop-ins bag, because it's not the norm & Foster parents never know when a kid will be "taken" back because the kid could have gone thru 3 houses in 48 hrs by court order... I have found dirty clothes & other things I ban in a drop-ins bag. For any type of medication or drugs that hasn't had written approval that I may come across (especially in a baggy), I call & say... I found this in the diaper bag & it's not on the list that says who it is for etc etc... I flushed it. I My parents (inc Foster /shelter clients) sign a contract stating they abide by all policies... I find unauthorized pills, I flush... not my problem you didn't adhere to my medication rule, try & sue me & see how far you get
Unregistered 05:21 AM 05-02-2017
What was the outcome of this? Did mom explain?
midaycare 05:40 AM 05-02-2017
I will rummage through bags. I have cubbies where they are allowed. The bags stay in the cubbies.

I have had dcks go through their own bag to get a new shirt/pants only to find a prescription med in there. Always for the child, but usually one they no longer need or has expired. I think this has happened 3x maybe? Even though the meds were childproof, I make a habit now of doing a periodic bag check.

I would be careful bringing up Mom's past - she may actually have a prescription for this. It was a dumb move, yes. Termination time? Only if you are really looking for a reason. A 2pm pickup time sounds like heaven to me!
sleepinghart 10:08 AM 05-09-2017
I don't know....

^^I agree with this^^. I would just ask Mom to please ensure it doesn't happen again due to the safety of the children potentially getting into the bags and such, and that would be all . ...JMO
hwichlaz 09:23 AM 05-10-2017
I totally look in bags. If a parent stores infant tylenol in there and a child gets into it, I'm liable. I wouldn't report it, but I'd ban that family from leaving a diaper bag from then on.
Tags:drugs, mandated reporter, terminate - inappropriate behavior
Reply Up