Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is It Wrong Of Me?
catinthebox 01:09 AM 04-30-2017
I watch over the little kids group, 6-10. I been having problems with them listening like for the longest . I know that their attention span is very low right now, specially the kindergartens. I do understand and cut them slack but most of the times it gets to the point where i get really frustrated with it that i stopped the activities we are trying to do or stop everything. Then I start giving them a short lecture about why listening is important... Main reason is that it is important skill to have for school and work... I also like to role play and let them become the teacher/staff for a chance while i am acting like them.

is it me or am i just making it such a big problem? I am not wanting them to be prefect angles, but there are times where i needed them to listen because we have a schedule to follow or important things to discuss. On a average day we have around 25 kids for my group and the co worker who is with me is a teacher, but she does not assist or help me with these kids. There are alot of times where i am trying to get the kids together or in a line and trying to leave while she just stands in the back watching or if there are problems with kids she does not intervene with them but watches.

To me, this is a thing that i take seriously. Just wondering if i am taking it the wrong way? I get really stress out from this, besides the other stuff.
CalCare 06:57 AM 04-30-2017
Hi! It sounds like you are working with someone who has a very different approach or philosophy than you do. And that can really be a good thing... even though there can be tough times. I'm wondering in what sort of situations are you intervening and she chooses only to observe? What would happen if you didn't intervene? What would happen if you didn't give small lectures on listening? Are your lectures having any positive effects? Maybe there's another way to go about it. Ooooor maybe your coworker is lazy and needs to help with the kids and do her job! It's hard to say without knowing more details! What is this other teacher's experience? Have you seen her lead the group, and when she does, what happens?
Unregistered 09:46 PM 04-30-2017
Bribery! If you listen or do x we can do y (a fun thing). In my room, if you listen then we will have time to read "white shoes or mad mamma" aka pete the cat or Llama lamma mad at mamma. Once you know what they will work for, you can start using it less,and they will continue to listen. Stay strong!
Reply Up