Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Keeping track of payments...literally
SilverSabre25 08:56 PM 07-19-2011
I don't mean records of how much you got paid by who and when...I mean literally...what do you do to keep track of the actual checks/cash paid to you by the parents?

I'm apparently having an issue with this. Two missing checks in as many months. One was my DH's fault. This one is my fault. I got a replacement for the other one; will have to swallow this one if the damn thing never surfaces.

The upside is that I'm getting a LOT of cluttered surfaces cleared off and junk tossed...the downside is that my blood pressure is probably through the roof and I dearly want some chocolate...
sharlan 09:32 PM 07-19-2011
I immediately put all checks inside the top drawer on my desk. Before I had a desk, I put all checks inside the top drawer on my dresser.
Cat Herder 09:38 PM 07-19-2011
I used to have a cardboard wedding "greeting card" box (the envelope slot type meant for the reception table) from oriental trading company that I spray painted with that "cracked rock" spray paint. It was cheesy but I was feeling "crafty".

The wood or bronze looking ones were expensive and those ran about $5.

I kept it on the table next to the sign in sheets. I had the parents drop the payments in there....no accidental misplaced checks.

I lost a few in my day as well.
youretooloud 09:38 PM 07-19-2011
I'm so disorganized. I know exactly how you feel.

I have an envelope on my fridge that I put the checks in... but, I still lose something all the time.
mom2many 10:00 PM 07-19-2011
I put all of the checks in a drawer and record the payments on my computer and deposit them weekly.
familyschoolcare 10:34 PM 07-19-2011
I have a plastic according envelope I keep in my purse. I also keep my receipt book in it. When I get a check I write a receipt and place it in the envelope. Now with that said I only have one family, so hopefully I will be able to keep this system up.
laundrymom 03:11 AM 07-20-2011
I have a metal locking outside mailbox, with a little slot. Parents put ALL PAYMENTS in box. When I'm ready to do deposit I unlock, gather and remove. I have 7 families right now , 10 kids. But have as many as 14-16 depending on part timers and school kids.
laundrymom 03:11 AM 07-20-2011
I keep box on top my cubbies
MissAnn 04:04 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I used to have a cardboard wedding "greeting card" box (the envelope slot type meant for the reception table) from oriental trading company that I spray painted with that "cracked rock" spray paint. It was cheesy but I was feeling "crafty".

The wood or bronze looking ones were expensive and those ran about $5.

I kept it on the table next to the sign in sheets. I had the parents drop the payments in there....no accidental misplaced checks.

I lost a few in my day as well.
Does anyone have a link of a cute box to put checks in? I've been looking for one! I'd love a wood one!
boysx5 04:04 AM 07-20-2011
I have a clip board that I put them on until I get to the bank
Meyou 04:05 AM 07-20-2011
I have an envelope in the front pocket of my file box. As I record the payment in their file I put the money in the envelope.
Pammie 04:15 AM 07-20-2011
I use a basket that hangs on my coat hook rack by my front door. I specifically tell parents in our initial interview to please drop their checks in the basket - not to hand them to me as I'll probably lose them

I also give them the flexibility of paying on any day of the week that they like - as long as I find a check in the basket on Saturday mornings, I'm happy. If they're paying cash, they just attach a little post-it with their name, and I have their receipt ready on Monday. So Saturday mornings, I empty the basket, log the checks and head to the bank.

BTW - I started this "basket" system about 12 years ago after losing 3 checks in 2 months. I think they probably went through the laundry when a dcp handed me their check and it went into my pocket - then I forgot about it. The less that **I** have to handle the checks, the less opportunity for me to goof
DCMom 04:32 AM 07-20-2011
We've all lost a check or two, I'm sure!

I use a woven basket with slotted lid originally intended for boutique tissue boxes. My payments are due on Mondays, so I put the basket out that morning as a reminder. At the end of the day, I grab the checks, record them in ckkids and do the deposit.
Meeko 04:53 AM 07-20-2011
First and foremost...get your priorities straight and do the most important thing. Go eat some chocolate!!! It is the cure for everything........I speak from frequent experience.....

I get paid each Friday except for state payments which is automatically transferred to my account on the 1st of each month.

I put the checks straight into a designated pocket in my purse and I deposit them in the bank on my way home.
AnneCordelia 05:02 AM 07-20-2011
I never lost a cheque but have misplaced cash before.

Now I get all my families to pay by e-transfer. I communicate our daily sheets through e-mail too. It's so much easier. And then I have proof that the $$ was transferred and it never exchanges hands, which means less likelihood of being short-changed or misplacing it.
SunflowerMama 05:02 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Does anyone have a link of a cute box to put checks in? I've been looking for one! I'd love a wood one!
You could do something like a wooden suggestion box. I've worked in fitness centers all my so it's the first thing that came to mind when everyone started taking about collecting checks .

I'm sure you could find something more unique and cute but here's the idea.

http://www.displays2go.com/Category.aspx?ID=117
countrymom 05:08 AM 07-20-2011
what great ideas, I love the wooden box. I'm going to go to the dollar store and get one. I usually use a ziploc bag. Oh I also photo copy all cheques.
squareone 05:12 AM 07-20-2011
Parents hand me payments directly and I put them in the sign in book until the parent leaves. Then I record the payment on the sign in sheet, sign the back of the check and then put it into my purse.

OP, explain to the parent that you misplaced their check and request that they put a stop payment on the check and write you a new one. Of course you should apologize for the inconvenience and also offer to pay any fees associated with the stop payment.
Cat Herder 05:39 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
You know I do.... Organizing Fundraisers is my community "hobby".

http://www.displays2go.com/Category.aspx?ID=117

Oh, sunflower....

I did not even see you posted the same group... They do a great job. I like the table top, clear ones best.

They also have the cardboard ones for $1.24...
wdmmom 05:50 AM 07-20-2011
I have clipboard type magnet on my fridge. They all get clipped to that until DH takes them to the bank. Going on 3 years and never had an issue.
dEHmom 06:03 AM 07-20-2011
i go straight to the bank with my cheques lol.

one of my old dcm's was visiting with me the other day and asked me why I endorse all my cheques to my DH. I looked at her like huh? apparently you don't have to sign the cheques unless you are endorsing them over for someone else to deposit. If it's made in your name, and you deposit it into your account no reason to sign it??? weird, I always thought you had to sign the cheques in order to deposit them.

I will still always sign them, because I am positive you have to. But she banks same place as me and says you don't have to. I seem to recall that one time DH forgot to sign his cheque, and they made him come to the bank to sign it.
wdmmom 06:08 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
i go straight to the bank with my cheques lol.

one of my old dcm's was visiting with me the other day and asked me why I endorse all my cheques to my DH. I looked at her like huh? apparently you don't have to sign the cheques unless you are endorsing them over for someone else to deposit. If it's made in your name, and you deposit it into your account no reason to sign it??? weird, I always thought you had to sign the cheques in order to deposit them.

I will still always sign them, because I am positive you have to. But she banks same place as me and says you don't have to. I seem to recall that one time DH forgot to sign his cheque, and they made him come to the bank to sign it.
If you are depositing the entire check, many banks don't require you to endorse the back. If you are taking cash from that check, a signature is required.
NiNi.R. 06:13 AM 07-20-2011
I have a magnet on my fridge that is meant to hold appointment cards. It works great to store my checks into. When the parents hand them to me I immediately fold them in half and place them in the magnet until I'm ready to deposit.
jojosmommy 06:19 AM 07-20-2011
I have an envelope on my bulletin board for checks to go into. However my parents have lately been lazy and are just giving me the checks instead of putting them down there.

I log them into the computer then put them in my wallet. I also go to the bank on a regular basis so if anyone was to bounce one on me they wouldn't get too many days before I caught them.

Also, I try to get my families to pay for 2 weeks at a time, less checks to handle and they are worth more so I tend to keep better track of them.
flightlessbird11 06:21 AM 07-20-2011
I also do the basket thing. I have a wicker type one hanging in my front hall, and al my parents just put the checks in there. On Monday, once everyone has dropped off, I empty the basket, and they go right into my wallet(after recording).
Crazy8 07:08 AM 07-20-2011
Checks are either given to me when they walk in the door or are in their lunch bags on their last day of the week (usually Friday). I immediately put them on a clippie magnet on my fridge. They go to the bank on Friday evening or sometimes Sat. mornings. In 10 years I only ONCE misplaced a check and found it in the kitchen garbage bag, LOL!!! I swore it couldn't have been thrown in there but decided to check anyway and sure enough...

If I get my checks to the bank by 8pm on Fri. nights they are cleared the next morning. If I bring them in after 8pm or on Sat. they don't clear till Tuesday so I try to make sure to get there on Fri. evening.
SandeeAR 07:26 AM 07-20-2011
My desk is just inside the front door. Next to miy laptop, I have one of those Magazine file holders. It lays on the back side. Inside it are my daycare files, one for my blank copies of the daily sheet. One with copies of: my contracts, any letter sent home, etc. Two, the tax file: copies of all checks and cash, forms to pay the taxes, past sign in/out sheets. Three, Receipts to post. Four, Bank file.

When I get the check, it goes right in the front of this file. Then I just grab the checkbook and deposit slips when ready for the bank!
heyhun77 07:38 AM 07-20-2011
After washing on in my pocket years ago I put an envelope on the parent board and all payments must be put in there. I no longer accept them in my hands because I don't want to go through the search and rescue to find them in the house or to ask for a new one when I wash it in my pocket.
Crystal 07:39 AM 07-20-2011
Parents hand checks to me. I have an excel spreadsheet set up for each month and every payment is recorded on it as soon as a check is recieved.
SandeeAR 07:47 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
This one is my fault. I got a replacement for the other one; will have to swallow this one if the damn thing never surfaces.
You need to let them know if you don't find the check. If they are like my DH, they will worry why that check has not cleared their bank.
Google Apps for Day Care 12:43 PM 07-20-2011
Many banks have services that allow you to take a picture of your check to deposit it (typically with a smart phone). If your banks offers this, you can save time by not having to go to the bank and avoid losing checks by simply taking a picture of it.
SilverSabre25 12:48 PM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by Google Apps for Day Care:
Many banks have services that allow you to take a picture of your check to deposit it (typically with a smart phone). If your banks offers this, you can save time by not having to go to the bank and avoid losing checks by simply taking a picture of it.
That would be fantastic...if I had a smart phone! I want one, but it's not in the cards right now, and won't be for awhile (paying the mortgage is a tad bit more important).
SilverSabre25 12:51 PM 07-20-2011
Thank you so much! I like a lot of these suggestions. I am SO glad I'm not the only one who has lost checks. I'm going to keep looking for a couple days, then own up the loss and I'm not asking for a replacement (it's the same family, d'oh!). A basket or envelope pinned to the wall by the door is probably the best, given my set-up. ANYWHERE but my pocket...

In other news, I just said, "DCB, stop salting the cat!" It was pretend at least...
KEG123 01:46 PM 07-20-2011
As soon as they hand it to me, it goes in my wallet.
Meeko 01:55 PM 07-20-2011
I have a question for those of you who have the parents put their check in a basket or box.

Do you ever go to get the checks and find that parents have "forgotten" to put it in the box/basket and left without paying you?
Reply Up