Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Reggio / Waldorf / Forest Kindergarten / Granola / Natural - Learning Methods>Reggio Emilia & Emergent Questions
Heidi 06:13 AM 11-02-2011
My question is about art supplies:

My group of full-timers are 15m, 15m, 21m, and 37m. Everyone is very interested in art supplies...so far I've mostly stuck to coloring and playdough.

Since my dc is in my (quite new & rather pretty) home, I am very reluctant to leave out supplies willy-nilly.

THe 3 yo has already gotten ahold of paint and painted pieces of my furniture (although paper was also available). The 15 mo's WANT to join in when I bring out pencils or crayons, but then spend most of their time (after 10 seconds of scribbling) crumpling the paper, eating the crayons, and then coloring on the table. I have to stand there every second & watch them, or I something will get ruined.

So, do I keep doing it this way for a while longer? I love the IDEA of free art, but I haven't been able to put it into practice at all.

We are not even talking about studies or anything like that yet. I am still SO working on the basics of managing behaviors most days, I can't move on.
SilverSabre25 06:21 AM 11-02-2011
This might not be "right" or popular, but if that's what they're doing, then they aren't really ready for free art in the first place. Sounds like the 15 mos could use some sensory experiences and the 3 yo needs more practice. You can have supplies visible, but in a box so they have to ask for it--just until they get used to the rules. You can still offer it yourself (like to the youngest ones) when you're there to help them along, but it sounds like they need a couple months to mature. I had one girl eating crayons until over 2!

You can also do stuff like fingerpainting with whipped cream or colored pudding (put food coloring in it)--that way the toddlers can eat it. You can give the toddlers a stack of paper specifically for tearing and cruching and crumpling, because that's what they're wanting to do right now--they want to learn about paper.
2ndFamilyDC 06:23 AM 11-02-2011
I know many will not agree with me on this; but I would never leave out art supplies for kids to just do when ever they felt like it. Well I would for 3 and up to a point, I would be supervising them closely.

But under that age no way. I have seen and heard what happens when kids are to young for art supplies and or not supervised.

I am not that brave I guess.
nannyde 06:28 AM 11-02-2011
I would check in with Crystal on this. She has all supplies out for new walkers up and has none of the problems you are describing.

I don't have stuff like that out at all. We aren't capable of supervising them properly and the cost of supervising them in our way would make having things out for free access VERY costly to the business. We can't manage it and can't afford it.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...hlight=walkers

My children have access to ALL materials as soon as they strt walking. I redirect to have them use materials appropriately. BUT, when it is constant, then they lose privileges. From THAT, they learn that they WANT to take care of the materials so that they can use them again. I teach ppreciation and responsibility by taking things before they ruin them, because I don't wanna be wasteful and keep replacing materials that cost me money.

I have ALL materials out....markers, crayons,pencils, paper, play dough, paint, collage supplies, glue, scissors, blocks and accessories, science materials, math and manipulative materials, dramatic play materials EVERYTHING within reach of my walkers. We are actively involved throughout the day in facilitating their work/play and I am completely comfortable allowing my children opportunities to use materials as soon as they are interested. On average, my children are between 12 and 18 months when they begin freely using the art materials. I have NEVER helped a child hold a crayon/marker/pencil/paintbrush. They learn grasping skills at a very young age and if they can hold it, move it to make a mark with it, however light that mark may be, then I allow them to do it. When they first begin using the materials we stay nearby, observing, facilitating and redirecting as needed to teach them the appropriate ways to use the materials....for instance, if they attempt to walk around with markers, we will direct them to sit down with the marker, or put it away....same with scissors, etc. They learn VERY early how to use the materials and as I said before there is ALWAYS at least one but usually a few kids at the writing/art table/area.

It is Emergent Curriculum. It is teaching children based on their interests and their emerging skills. It is acknowledging and honoring that children are quite capable of many things if they are given the opportunity to test out and build their skills.

Cat Herder 06:31 AM 11-02-2011
I haven't got time for the pain...... Sing it with me.

Things that need one on one supervision are out of reach during group play times, here.

I am alone with 6 kids.
Heidi 06:38 AM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
This might not be "right" or popular, but if that's what they're doing, then they aren't really ready for free art in the first place. Sounds like the 15 mos could use some sensory experiences and the 3 yo needs more practice. You can have supplies visible, but in a box so they have to ask for it--just until they get used to the rules. You can still offer it yourself (like to the youngest ones) when you're there to help them along, but it sounds like they need a couple months to mature. I had one girl eating crayons until over 2!

You can also do stuff like fingerpainting with whipped cream or colored pudding (put food coloring in it)--that way the toddlers can eat it. You can give the toddlers a stack of paper specifically for tearing and cruching and crumpling, because that's what they're wanting to do right now--they want to learn about paper.
All right, so that leads me to another question: If you let them use pudding as paint, where does it stop? I am not being snarky, just asking. My toddlers like to spill the milk out of their sippy cups and "finger paint" on the table with it. I don't really allow that. So, when is it art, when is it time for some table manners?
hoopinglady 06:40 AM 11-02-2011
those kids are pretty young. I have my tiny dining room dedicated to free art for older kids only. 3 and up typically, depending on their experience level. My own two year old is allowed too. I love having this space for messy work and sensory tubs and stuff. I just gate the little guys out.

I will bring art supplies to the toddlers and supervise closely because mine are too wild with it yet too. i give them little bits of time in the workshop as they get older/more mature and when they start acting a fool, I remind them of the rules once or twice then put them back into the playroom.

Even as they get older, you have to have a place that it's ok to play, kwim? Do you have a porch area...you could lay Ia tarp on the floor, is your kitchen large enough for a little art table? Even with experienced kiddos, there will be mess and fretting over the spills will ruin the experience for everyone.

The reggio studios seem like they would never be workable in my world. Maybe Italian children are more disciplined, lol...or maybe the teachers have more time/patience for mass scale organizing.

I have one tub for drawing stuff (crayons, markers, pastels, chalk), one for glue, scissors /collage materials, one for paint, brushes and palettes, one for playdough and playdough toys...and few other various random things, small wooden blocks etc.

Children, particularly older preschoolers need these materials to express themselves. if you can find a place for that to happen (a kitchen table with a big basket full of stuff?) You'll be really glad you did.

sorry this got so long.
Crystal 06:45 AM 11-02-2011
Thanks Nan....made it easy for me

As the quote says, my stuff is out and accessible at all times. My furniture and walls have never been used as art medium It is really a matter of taking the time (when and if you have it ) to teach the appropriate way to use materials.

I would NEVER use pudding or ANY food for art or sensory activity. I find that disrespectful to the millions who go hungry. We don't play with food, we eat it.

I am working on a slideshow of my space, when I am finished I will share it so you can see how I have my materials set up for the children.
2ndFamilyDC 06:53 AM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I haven't got time for the pain...... Sing it with me.

Nicely put.....
SilverSabre25 07:01 AM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
All right, so that leads me to another question: If you let them use pudding as paint, where does it stop? I am not being snarky, just asking. My toddlers like to spill the milk out of their sippy cups and "finger paint" on the table with it. I don't really allow that. So, when is it art, when is it time for some table manners?
It's art when it's art time...or when it's snacktime and youput them in smocks or strip 'em to diapers and say, have at it, guys!

Table manners are a) for meal times and b) for when they're capable of learning them, whatever that age is in your opinion (in mine...not until they're older and learning please/thank you/utensil usage/chewing quietly/etc)
countrymom 07:08 AM 11-02-2011
I have art stuff out and the kids are really good with that, its the other stuff they are not good with. I dont do painting (like have it out) because I don't have room but if I did, I would too. I also don't use food for painting, because we eat with it, not play with it.
Ariana 09:36 AM 11-02-2011
It sounds like your set up needs to be more kid friendly. I wouldn't be able to take care of children and help them develop if I couldn't let them move around freely and explore art. Why not set up an art area. make this area as completely kid friendly as you can so you don't have to worry. Table and chairs and then bins of washable markers and crayons. Almost everything on the market these days is washabe so I dont' sweat it! When a kid starts wandering towards your white sofa with a blue marker simply say "back to the art area please"

Paint for us is a "special activity" which I prepare for the night before but crayons, markers and paper are always out.
Cat Herder 09:39 AM 11-02-2011
Would having water pens and those aqua mats out count to meet this "goal" for 2 and unders?

THAT I could do without too many repercussions....
Ariana 09:46 AM 11-02-2011
Would having water pens and those aqua mats out count to meet this "goal" for 2 and unders?

THAT I could do without too many repercussions....
My kids that are under 2 just enjoy drinking the pen
Heidi 09:55 AM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by Ariana:
It sounds like your set up needs to be more kid friendly. I wouldn't be able to take care of children and help them develop if I couldn't let them move around freely and explore art. Why not set up an art area. make this area as completely kid friendly as you can so you don't have to worry. Table and chairs and then bins of washable markers and crayons. Almost everything on the market these days is washabe so I dont' sweat it! When a kid starts wandering towards your white sofa with a blue marker simply say "back to the art area please"

Paint for us is a "special activity" which I prepare for the night before but crayons, markers and paper are always out.
I think I"m pretty kid friendly, but I do have limits. I think it's partly just the particular group I have. By the time my kids were 15 or 16 months old, I could trust them with crayons and paper, drilling "we only color on the paper" into their heads, and they did fine. I don't think any of mine ever colored on a wall or a book.

I have 4 kids (3 ft & 1 pt) from one family, and they are a wild bunch. I don't mind exploring, learning, etc. But, for the most part, toys are ignored, and I spend most of my time redirecting, even the oldest 2 (4 and 3). My 21 mo from another family I could probably (but wouldn't of course!), leave in the whole house alone all day, and it wouldn't occurr to him to push around furniture, climb up on a shelf, or otherwise trash the place. He would drive cars around all day if they (the other kids) let him.
melskids 09:55 AM 11-02-2011
I have my art set up just like crystal.

I've said it once before, and I'll say it again....if I could get rid of every single other toy in my house and turn the whole thing into an art studio, I would do it in a heart beat! Art is my THAAAAANG LOL

We start EARLY. By 6 months old they are fingerpainting with REAL fingerpaint. It's non toxic, and I guarantee they're only gonna taste it once. They are in their highchair, and I give them SMALL amounts to start. Same with the homemade playdough, crayons, etc.

By having the materials accessible everyday, and modeling appropriate behavior CONSTANTLY, its not so much of a big deal to them. Its not taboo. The kids know its there, they know how to use it, and they know how to take care of the area. By two years old, I can completely trust them if I walk away for a minute to do something else.

I am alone with 6 kids too. 10 when the SA are here. They don't all choose the art area at the same time, (other areas are open, and because of size restrictions of my home, it can only accomodate 2, maybe 3 at a time anyway) so its not like I have half a dozen kids running wild throughout the house armed with paintbrushes and glue bottles. Paint is out everyday, and no one even bothered with choosing it this morning.

It IS alot of work at first to get them in the "groove" , but in the end, to me, its well worth the effort. My kiddos are all so creative, and produce beautiful art that is individual to their personalities and self expression. No two pieces EVER look the same, and I LOVE that!

BTW, my art area is right next to my couch, and no one has painted on it yet
Heidi 10:03 AM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
I have my art set up just like crystal.

I've said it once before, and I'll say it again....if I could get rid of every single other toy in my house and turn the whole thing into an art studio, I would do it in a heart beat! Art is my THAAAAANG LOL

We start EARLY. By 6 months old they are fingerpainting with REAL fingerpaint. It's non toxic, and I guarantee they're only gonna taste it once. They are in their highchair, and I give them SMALL amounts to start. Same with the homemade playdough, crayons, etc.

By having the materials accessible everyday, and modeling appropriate behavior CONSTANTLY, its not so much of a big deal to them. Its not taboo. The kids know its there, they know how to use it, and they know how to take care of the area. By two years old, I can completely trust them if I walk away for a minute to do something else.

oooohhh...that is so where I WANT to be! I am frustrated I can't get there! Honestly, I get sooo bored some days, and I am constantly rearranging, I think, to cope.

I think I need to spend a little time contemplating all this. I mean, honestly, I cant blame it all on the kids! Yes, they are a handful, and 4 from one family adds a bigger challenge, but I am the adult here, for gosh's sake!Yelling at myself on the inside....

I am alone with 6 kids too. 10 when the SA are here. They don't all choose the art area at the same time, (other areas are open, and because of size restrictions of my home, it can only accomodate 2, maybe 3 at a time anyway) so its not like I have half a dozen kids running wild throughout the house armed with paintbrushes and glue bottles. Paint is out everyday, and no one even bothered with choosing it this morning.

It IS alot of work at first to get them in the "groove" , but in the end, to me, its well worth the effort. My kiddos are all so creative, and produce beautiful art that is individual to their personalities and self expression. No two pieces EVER look the same, and I LOVE that!

BTW, my art area is right next to my couch, and no one has painted on it yet
oooohhh...that is so where I WANT to be! I am frustrated I can't get there! Honestly, I get sooo bored some days, and I am constantly rearranging, I think, to cope.

I think I need to spend a little time contemplating all this. I mean, honestly, I cant blame it all on the kids! Yes, they are a handful, and 4 from one family adds a bigger challenge, but I am the adult here, for gosh's sake!Yelling at myself on the inside....
countrymom 10:25 AM 11-02-2011
I've had that happen too, another thing with the mat is that you need to let it dry completely you will get mold, I went and opened mine and there was mold on it. I do love the mat.
Cat Herder 10:38 AM 11-02-2011
Thanks!! That is what I thought .

Mine do the same with markers if I take more than 3 steps in the opposite direction.

Color wonder were too expensive to go through that many in such a short period of time.

I did try many things, though....
Cat Herder 10:51 AM 11-02-2011
I am alone with 6 kids too.
Interesting.

How many infants usually, though?

I think that is what really keeps me from pursuing this full force.... I usually have between 1 and 3 at a time.

My problem was not so much the writing on walls (washable paint) but demolition in general. Papers tossed/crumpled/torn/shredded, crayons snapped in half/thrown/stomped/eaten, and markers taken apart/chewed.

I take 3 steps towards the baby area, enter the diaper changing area and all double hockey sticks breaks loose.... My clients do NO art with their kids....they feel that is what they pay ME for. It is an uphill battle.

I will have to incorporate it for ratings very soon, though. I just got the "warning shot" email saying 2013. I will be following this stuff like a hawk.

It is HARD for old dogs to learn new tricks.... I AM trying, though. If you know some great "starter" art stuff...PLEASE tell me about it.

Edit: For ALL 2 and under.
lpperry 10:53 AM 11-02-2011
I do art everyday with everyone over 1 year, but it is supervised art. I do not have art materials freely out.

I have a childsize table that they also use for dramatic play, but during art time, it is the art table. I call 2 at a time over to the table and we do an art project.

We do crayons, markers, colored pencils, dot markers, paints, chalk, sickers, gluing things--like cotton balls and tissue paper.

Currently everyone I have is under 3. I like having a supervised art period. It allows me to work with the kids with language skills as well--they ask for particular stickers, find their name, try writing a letter in their name, identify colors, shapes, etc.
SilverSabre25 11:03 AM 11-02-2011

It is HARD for old dogs to learn new tricks.... I AM trying, though. If you know some great "starter" art stuff...PLEASE tell me about it.
The BIG crayola washable crayons, with paper already peeled off, and spiral notebooks, one per child. Plus close supervision--do it all at one time if you can.

Immediately redirect and squash anything inappropriate--"we do not break crayons, we do not eat crayons, leave the paper on the table, crayon ONLY paper, etc".

Then once they understand crayons, you can ease into other stuff.
BigMama 11:19 AM 11-02-2011
I have a an art area in the playroom. Crayons, markers, scissors, pastels, hole punchers, glue bottles, glue sticks, white paper, colored construction paper, colored pencils, play dough and accessories, and a divided tray of collage materials are open every day. My easel is set up with paint and paper every day too.
I introduce the art area early. I fingerpaint with them at 6-7 mos. and let them scribble with crayons. I do let them tear and crumple paper but sometimes I tape the paper to the table so they can paint or draw without tearing it up. My easel is low enough that the little ones can help themselves. I've never had anyone go around and paint furniture (one did bend down and paint the floor) but if they start to walk away I just redirect them. Another kind of "introductory" activity for the little ones is to gather a basket of collage materials (feathers, craft sticks, pieces of tissue paper, big buttons, etc.) and lay out a sheet of contact paper sticky side up. Let them choose items to stick to the contact paper to make a collage. All they have to do is drop the item on the paper! Bingo dotters and roller paints are fun and fairly mess-free too if you need a low-key place to start. Just remember that for infants, toddlers, and preschoolers, it is about the process of creating, not the finished product. Then just relax and have fun!
hoopinglady 11:28 AM 11-02-2011
Interesting.

I think that is what really keeps me from pursuing this full force.... I usually have between 1 and 3 at a time.

My problem was not so much the writing on walls (washable paint) but demolition in general. Papers tossed/crumpled/torn/shredded, crayons snapped in half/thrown/stomped/eaten, and markers taken apart/chewed.

I take 3 steps towards the baby area, enter the diaper changing area and all double hockey sticks breaks loose.... My clients do NO art with their kids....they feel that is what they pay ME for. It is an uphill battle.

I will have to incorporate it for ratings very soon, though. I just got the "warning shot" email saying 2013. I will be following this stuff like a hawk.

Putting it out everyday is half the battle I think. Someone else may have said that.

That being said, is it necessary to have free art for toddlers? I'd posted before...I'm not gonna do it. I think it's silly. I'd work them into it a bit at a time.

Magna doodles...kids love them...not permanent but very popular. Ours are getting worn out but it's always a favorite. Does that count?
Heidi 11:31 AM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by BigMama:
I have a an art area in the playroom. Crayons, markers, scissors, pastels, hole punchers, glue bottles, glue sticks, white paper, colored construction paper, colored pencils, play dough and accessories, and a divided tray of collage materials are open every day. My easel is set up with paint and paper every day too.
I introduce the art area early. I fingerpaint with them at 6-7 mos. and let them scribble with crayons. I do let them tear and crumple paper but sometimes I tape the paper to the table so they can paint or draw without tearing it up. My easel is low enough that the little ones can help themselves. I've never had anyone go around and paint furniture (one did bend down and paint the floor) but if they start to walk away I just redirect them. Another kind of "introductory" activity for the little ones is to gather a basket of collage materials (feathers, craft sticks, pieces of tissue paper, big buttons, etc.) and lay out a sheet of contact paper sticky side up. Let them choose items to stick to the contact paper to make a collage. All they have to do is drop the item on the paper! Bingo dotters and roller paints are fun and fairly mess-free too if you need a low-key place to start. Just remember that for infants, toddlers, and preschoolers, it is about the process of creating, not the finished product. Then just relax and have fun!
I am TOTALLY about the process, not the product. With my old group, I did maybe 2 product-based projects a year, like a Christmas present for parents. Even then, I tried to be as hands-off as possible.

In general, I am totally about the process, not the product. I have 4 very creative children of my own, and my 10yo sons room most of the time looks like the Nutty Professor's Lab, because of all the projects in there..

I guess my issue is more with this particular group of kids. THey simply cannot be trusted to follow boundries, and every day is such a battle to just manage behaviors, that I can't get to the good stuff! Makes them sound really terrible, when they really aren't terrible. It's 4 from one family, though, so any bad behavior one has, all mimic.

I'm sorry this is so long, I think it's become a venting zone for me now!
melskids 04:10 PM 11-02-2011
Interesting.

I take 3 steps towards the baby area, enter the diaper changing area and all double hockey sticks breaks loose....:lol: My clients do NO art with their kids....they feel that is what they pay ME for. It is an uphill battle.

i currently have 2 infants, 8 and 10 months old.
2 two year olds
2 three year olds

your statement i bolded says it all right there...lol i NEVER walk away from the infants or toddlers when they are using the art supplies.

if your using FFCERS, i believe it says art should be available everyday to preschool age, but only 3 times a week, or maybe only once, to infants and toddlers. i'd have to look again. point is, you can start slow, a couple times a week until youre more comfortable and the kids get used to the materials being out.

infants sit in their highchairs, and i usually only give them 1 or 2 crayons at a time, or a teaspoon of paint at a time.

they snap crayons and crumble/tear paper. its all part of the process.

i gradually let them go to the "big kids" art table and the easel somewhere around 18 months old, but i still stay right with them until they understand how to use materials properly. (just like silversabre mentioned)

don't get me wrong, i'm not gonna lie. its ALOT of work. but like i said, its my thing, and i feel its all worth the effort.
Cat Herder 05:32 PM 11-02-2011
i currently have 2 infants, 8 and 10 months old.
2 two year olds
2 three year olds

your statement i bolded says it all right there...lol i NEVER walk away from the infants or toddlers when they are using the art supplies.

if your using FFCERS, i believe it says art should be available everyday to preschool age, but only 3 times a week, or maybe only once, to infants and toddlers. i'd have to look again. point is, you can start slow, a couple times a week until youre more comfortable and the kids get used to the materials being out.

infants sit in their highchairs, and i usually only give them 1 or 2 crayons at a time, or a teaspoon of paint at a time.

they snap crayons and crumble/tear paper. its all part of the process.

i gradually let them go to the "big kids" art table and the easel somewhere around 18 months old, but i still stay right with them until they understand how to use materials properly. (just like silversabre mentioned)

don't get me wrong, i'm not gonna lie. its ALOT of work. but like i said, its my thing, and i feel its all worth the effort.
Oh, wow!!! Yeah!!! I already do THAT. I thought they wanted it out, displayed at eye level and "accessible" at all times....

We still have not had a "Q&A" session; QRIS. Between CDA, QRIS, FCCRS, ECERS, Emergent Curriculum, Evaluating/Documenting Development, Portfolios and everything else thrown at me at once, I live in a state of confusion lately.

Thank you for being so patient.

I do LOVE the contact paper idea with the feathers and stuff... That sounds like such a fun activity, Big Mama.
SilverSabre25 07:18 PM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by BigMama:
Oh the contact paper sounds awesome! I'd never thought of that. Of course, my group isn't quite sure what a collage is...they always want to pull the pieces back off same with stickers. Silly children.
melskids 03:32 AM 11-03-2011
Oh, wow!!! Yeah!!! I already do THAT. I thought they wanted it out, displayed at eye level and "accessible" at all times....

We still have not had a "Q&A" session; QRIS. Between CDA, QRIS, FCCRS, ECERS, Emergent Curriculum, Evaluating/Documenting Development, Portfolios and everything else thrown at me at once, I live in a state of confusion lately.

Thank you for being so patient.

I do LOVE the contact paper idea with the feathers and stuff... That sounds like such a fun activity, Big Mama.
i hear ya. we're going through all that right now too. sometimes it all makes my head spin LOL

i'll have to read through the FFCERS again, or crystal may know, but i thought for infant and toddlers, it only had to be offered. it has to be accessible to preschoolers though. maybe i'm wrong, i read more dang information lately , coming from all different directions, and most times it doesnt all line up together. so i forget where i read what.
Crystal 06:42 AM 11-03-2011
i hear ya. we're going through all that right now too. sometimes it all makes my head spin LOL

i'll have to read through the FFCERS again, or crystal may know, but i thought for infant and toddlers, it only had to be offered. it has to be accessible to preschoolers though. maybe i'm wrong, i read more dang information lately , coming from all different directions, and most times it doesnt all line up together. so i forget where i read what.
yes, it only needs to be offered for toddlers.
Tags:art - toddler, art activites, art center, art supplies, reggio emilia
Reply Up