Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child with Downs Syndrome
Unregistered 03:21 PM 03-10-2017
I recently took on a dcg who is 4yrs old with Downs Syndrome. I have never cared for a child with special needs in my group before but didn't see a reason why not. Well, maybe I over estimated my abilities because I'm struggling. Here are a few of my major issues:
Dcg is not potty trained and no where close. Dcm was very upfront about this so it was no shock. The problem is that dcg diaper dives within seconds of pooping and twice now smeared it on my walls. Dcg also elopes! We were in my fenced yard and she climbs my fence. This happens everytime we are outside. Ive pulled her off the fence many times but she succefully made it over the fence into my neighbors yard! This was so scary and I had to scale the fence to get her back. I could obviously see my group at all times but I was still in the neighbors yard trying to coax dcg back over. The last problem I'm having is behavior. Dcg gets frustrated easily. When she does she hits me or rams her head into the play room wall while screaming. She also gets agitated because I can not understand her most of the time due to her disability. When she becomes aggressive or hits she goes into time out but won't sit. I'm lost as to what to do here because the rest of my group eventually stops resisting when they see that I will put them back in time out every time. Dcg was led back to timeout for over 20 mins and it got to the point that I had to get lunch served so I gave up.

I'm willing to try and make this work but I'm struggling. Dcm is helpful in backing me up with dcg but doesn't have many ideas to help. She said at home they lock her in her bedroom for time out and that won't happen here! Any ideas? Anyone ever had a special needs kid?
Sumshine 03:56 PM 03-10-2017
Honestly it seems she needs 1 on 1 care! I wouldn't be able to do it and I am well versed with autistic children from having 2 siblings under the age of 18 on the spectrum. They are great at escaping too and have their own little quirks!

If she is posing safety risks (escaping, butting her head, etc), sanitary risks (smearing poo), and is overall unmanageable (you & mom can't seem to find a solution) then unfortunately I'd let her go. It's not discriminatory at all but this is a group environment and ultimately the group has to come first. When she is in your care the group is not coming first she always will be coming first which is why she needs 1 on 1 care. It'd be no different if ANY kid was causing me to give them 100% of my attention all the time at daycare... they'd have to go IMO.

My 7 yo brother has been "kicked" out of many daycares for his behaviors over the years. Even ones with a full staff and claim to be okay with autism! It took him getting a para at the before and after school program to literally be with him 1 on 1 to be truly good at daycare! I will take him when school is off for breaks and he will spend time in my daycare but my mom is well aware if he becomes too much then he must leave as he poses a risk to my group setting.

Best of luck!
Cat Herder 04:53 PM 03-10-2017
The issues you are seeing are manageable, but will require a lot of prep work.

The poo issue is solved by backwards footed pj's and immediate diaper changes. The behavior comes from being frustrated with the sensation of a dirty diaper and lack of ability to do something about with autonomy.

The fence issue can be solved by blocking access to ready footing. Cover the fence in tennis court privacy netting. Direct supervision at all times.

Time-out is not appropriate for the expected meltdowns of frustration. Try a play tent filled with her favorite soft toys, pillows, etc. Somewhere private, just for her, to self-soothe in. Make it somewhere she wants to be when she feels stressed. Consider getting a soft tunnel climber.

There are some good free resources, here: http://infanttoddler.tamu.edu/course...-care-kits.php

I admit it will be a lot of work, but IME the payoff is worth it.
racemom 04:55 PM 03-10-2017
We have a boy with downs in our center, and he is a handful. We have had him since birth, and we all love him, but he requires one on one care. He must be watched all the time, and when not being watched he will become aggressive, and he also doesn't follow directions well.

Sorry I am not being helpful, just realistic. Our dcb could never be in a group setting with one provider, because of safety issues. Wish I could offer suggestions, but we also are at a loss as to what to do for him and our director has decided to pay for extra staff until he starts school in the fall.
spedmommy4 05:59 PM 03-10-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
The issues you are seeing are manageable, but will require a lot of prep work.

The poo issue is solved by backwards footed pj's and immediate diaper changes. The behavior comes from being frustrated with the sensation of a dirty diaper and lack of ability to do something about with autonomy.

The fence issue can be solved by blocking access to ready footing. Cover the fence in tennis court privacy netting. Direct supervision at all times.

Time-out is not appropriate for the expected meltdowns of frustration. Try a play tent filled with her favorite soft toys, pillows, etc. Somewhere private, just for her, to self-soothe in. Make it somewhere she wants to be when she feels stressed. Consider getting a soft tunnel climber.

There are some good free resources, here: http://infanttoddler.tamu.edu/course...-care-kits.php

I admit it will be a lot of work, but IME the payoff is worth it.
These are some great suggestions. I will add on that if you can't sell the parents on pajamas, any clothes she can't remove would work equally well. (Maybe overalls or jumpers)

Also, you may reduce some of the frustration by working with mom to develop a way to communicate with her. A simple picture card system could work for things she needs/wants frequently at childcare.
Pandaluver21 04:55 PM 03-20-2017
Sign language is an AMAZING tool for communicating with a child that can not communicate "regularly"
Try signingtime.com or look at lifeprint.com and get some basic signs to work with her on.
More, all done, help, wait, no, please, change/diaper, eat, etc. are all great starting points!
Tags:down syndrome, special needs
Reply Up