Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gross Motor Stages That Make The Babies Scream
Pestle 08:29 AM 04-10-2017
So today I have two infants. One is in what I call the "Rotisserie chicken" or "Self-tipping cow stage," wherein she immediately flips back to belly and then starts screaming because she hates the belly. Flip her over, and she flips herself again and then screams.

My other infant has just gone from scooting to crawling this weekend. There are 3 steps between the playroom and dining room in my day care area. This little guy has hoisted himself up to stand leaning on the first step, and is in hysterics because now he doesn't know what to do. (Last week he was climbing the steps, so I'm just gonna let him freak out. )

When my DD was an infant, my husband called me at work in tears of laughter because she'd reached up, grabbed a toy on her baby gym, and then didn't know how to let go and burst out screaming. She apparently did that all day, and he kept prying her hand off until she figured out how to do it herself.

What stages make your infants go berserk?
Kimskiddos 09:07 AM 04-10-2017
Sadly with my new little 6mo guy, it's just me putting him down. He's perfectly content when held, stops fussing the moment I pick him up. Hopefully he will adjust sooner than later.
Josiegirl 09:24 AM 04-10-2017
Tummy time is so important for their development but from my experience most babies detest it. And that's been the only thing my current 6 mo flips out about.
debbiedoeszip 10:40 AM 04-10-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Tummy time is so important for their development but from my experience most babies detest it. And that's been the only thing my current 6 mo flips out about.
My DS also hated it and I didn't force it. He grew up ok but the back of his head is flat LOL.
Mom2Two 02:26 PM 04-10-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I got a tip that you can do the tummy time with them on your lap or partly on your lap. So their arms and heads can be on your legs. DD liked that better.
AmyKidsCo 08:28 PM 04-10-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
When my DD was an infant, my husband called me at work in tears of laughter because she'd reached up, grabbed a toy on her baby gym, and then didn't know how to let go and burst out screaming. She apparently did that all day, and he kept prying her hand off until she figured out how to do it herself.
That reminds me of the stage where they wake up in the middle of the night, pull themselves to standing in the crib, then scream bloody murder because they can't get back down again.

It's a lot funnier now that my youngest is 10 than it was when they were going through it!
Pestle 11:32 AM 04-11-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
That reminds me of the stage where they wake up in the middle of the night, pull themselves to standing in the crib, then scream bloody murder because they can't get back down again.

It's a lot funnier now that my youngest is 10 than it was when they were going through it!
Right now I'm holding my self-tipping cow. She's just a wriggle-beast. I can't keep hold of her. So I put her down to keep her from flinging herself head-first onto the floor. She immediately flips and starts screaming. Try the bouncy seat, but she pitches forward so far that she ends up doubled over the buckle, hanging upside-down off the seat. Child, why do you only and always do what makes you mad?
Pepperth 11:39 AM 04-11-2017
With a young two year old today... Take mitten off, place hand in snow, scream. I put mittens on. Repeat until I put wool socks over his mittens.
Controlled Chaos 12:08 PM 04-11-2017
This post makes me so happy. I have a tipping cow. She's not here today thank goodness, but will be back tomorrow. She is typically quite happy, but she will pull a basket or soft box onto her lap and then will SCREAM. Over and over
Pestle 04:32 PM 04-11-2017
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
With a young two year old today... Take mitten off, place hand in snow, scream. I put mittens on. Repeat until I put wool socks over his mittens.

Tags:gross motor skills
Reply Up