Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Can't Do Anything!
Josiegirl 02:35 AM 04-12-2017
You ever feel that way? Part of this 45 hr. class I'm in the middle of, had a 3 hr. training last night and the licensor for our area came to talk. After I got home, I just had this overwhelming feeling like, omg, every single thing we try to do either has tight restrictions, needs changing, has 10 more steps added to it, or is not allowed anymore. Or to satisfy licensing it has to be done this way but to satisfy the rating scales, you do it that way. It feels like we need to make 100 people happy each day. And that doesn't even count our littlest people.
Overwhelming......to say the least.
Blackcat31 05:15 AM 04-12-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
You ever feel that way? Part of this 45 hr. class I'm in the middle of, had a 3 hr. training last night and the licensor for our area came to talk. After I got home, I just had this overwhelming feeling like, omg, every single thing we try to do either has tight restrictions, needs changing, has 10 more steps added to it, or is not allowed anymore. Or to satisfy licensing it has to be done this way but to satisfy the rating scales, you do it that way. It feels like we need to make 100 people happy each day. And that doesn't even count our littlest people.
I agree but I have learned to take only what I need from the trainings we are offered. I take tips, hints and resource connections etc from anyone in the early childhood, DHS field but I refuse to let them make me feel like I am not doing everything up to their standards.

After all, how many of those trainers, policy writers and/or DHS staff have actually provided child care themselves or been a hands on part of the early childhood field. My guess is less than 5% of them.

Reminds me of Mapquest. Every time you try and find direction somewhere the first 5 steps are how to get out of your own driveway/neighborhood.....I always think to myself, if you can't do that without directions you probably shouldn't be driving a car!

Anyhoo... sorry for the ramble....my point was don't give them the power to make you feel inferior in YOUR role/job.

They don't have that right simply because they've never done it themselves so the ONLY people I will ever allow that kind of input are those that have been on the same journey or atleast traveling in the same direction.
Mike 05:31 AM 04-12-2017
Love BC's reply, especially the Mapquest part.

True though. You just remember it is still your business, no matter how much control the government wants. Just one reason I'm sticking to my unlicensed plans.
Cat Herder 09:32 AM 04-12-2017
I get it. Hoops and bargaining.

Then the four hour observations, where you are not allowed to talk to them, while they scowl at you over their glasses and angry write in the little notebooks, then abruptly leave without so much as a nod.

You live in limbo for the next 30 days hoping you can stay in business only to receive your review that states something like "a delightful play space and nurturing tone". I mean WTHeron?

Do they enjoy the theatrics??
Annalee 09:53 AM 04-12-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I feel your pain Josiegirl....BC is exactly right but some days when I attend that TRAINING or OPEN THAT EMAIL, I think HOW STUPID CAN THESE PEOPLE BE? Our state has many entities that come in our homes each year, but NONE have the same rules....It is hard to keep it straight! This is NO JOKE, three of those entities have different requirements as to where we wash our hands. We have health, fire, licensing, QRIS assessment, food program, etc. Assessment dictates our display but fire limits our percentage of usable space for display. It makes me angry when I actually put it in writing because it is so STUPID!
Josiegirl 10:10 AM 04-12-2017
It must be nice to be the person who sits in a completely quiet office, so they can actually think of all these rules, for the health, safety and well being of the children. So while you're singing your ABC's twice with the kiddo who is washing their hands, showing her the exact way she's supposed to do it, there's a fight brewing right outside the door because toddler #1 pulled toddler # 2's hair, and the preschoolers sitting at the table coloring nicely when you left the area 18 seconds ago, but you can still keep one of your eyes on through the room, is now scribbling all over her 'best friend's' paper so a fight is brewing there. But damn, these hands are getting super clean because we've hit 19 seconds.........okay kids, calm down. We don't hurt our friends, nice touches only, draw on your own paper. Oh no, you don't throw the paper towel in the toilet. Please take your hands out, you don't need to get it, I'll take care of it. Now we need to sing the ABC's 4 times. 'STOP COLORING ON THE WALLS!!!! Please?
Oh the joy of bureaucracy.

Priorities, people, priorities. And get real.
Yes hand-washing is important. It's just not the ONLY thing we need to do here.
Josiegirl 10:12 AM 04-12-2017
CH, we have someone just like that!! But she did warn us ahead of time that she cannot interact with us or the children. So of course, what do children do when they're missing out on the attention of 1 person??
Josiegirl 10:21 AM 04-12-2017
BC, our last 6 hr. training took place in a center, licensed for 150 kids. Nice thing was we got to see how another place does things. I'd love to see the place during work hours. The infant room reminded me of some orphanage with cribs stacked everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure things are simply stored that way when not in use and I took so many great ideas away with me. But in so many ways I was feeling pretty good about what I offer kids too.
Til last night. Lol I have spent so much money upgrading this year(and last) and finding out you still need to do so much more....
Just seems like there's never any end or it's not good enough. This 45 hr. course was a requirement. And included with the 45 hours was an extra 2.5 hr. online course we had to do, plus licensing has informed home providers we still need to do another licensing training. And get this....because our new reg book has gone from a measly 12-15 pages to 100+ pages, they're now producing a manual to help us decipher the new regs book. Is THIS where my taxes are going?? To fund all this stupidity??

I Think I'm working for the wrong side. If I was in that quiet office, I'd probably get health insurance too.
Reply Up