Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is this behavior normal?
SnowGirl 12:25 PM 04-14-2017
I have a 1 yo DCG (turns two in July) whom I have had since she was 8 weeks old. Ever since she was sitting up and eating solids, she has seemed very uncomfortable in highchairs. I started her in the bumbo (as I do with all my 6 month olds), then she moved to a playschool chair that straps onto a dining table chair, then when we got a bigger house I was able to move her to a real high chair, and now she's sitting in a child's chair from Ikea.

In all of these seating surfaces, she shifts around constantly. It almost looks like she's trying to pass a really hard poo or something. She'll arch her back, she has a distressed look on her face, when she was a baby she would cry and scream when put in the high chair. Now that she is in a chair, she'll sit and eat, but like I said she's bouncing up and down as if she's really uncomfortable.

I brought it up to her mother, who said she noticed it too. But she didn't say anything else about it or seem concerned.

Should I just leave it be? Or should I ask the parents to get a doctor's opinion in case it's sensory? Not my business? I've never seen this behavior before.
Mom2Two 12:37 PM 04-14-2017
Does she do better with a soft surface? Does she only squirm when in these chairs or does she act constipated at other times?

I guess if you can figure out a work-around, go for it.
SnowGirl 02:14 PM 04-14-2017
She'll sit on a soft surface or on my lap just fine. She's pretty active and never in one place for long (like most kids her age). When sitting on a hard surface, she is always bouncing or shifting as if uncomfortable. I might see if a cushion on her chair will change that.

I just didn't know if this was concerning enough to bring up to a pediatrician or if I shouldn't worry about it if mom and dad aren't worrying about it.
Lovatic24 03:10 PM 04-14-2017
I have this at my house. The middle blue part is suspended from the white frame and moves a bit with their weight.
Non-slip rubber around the bottom and holds up to 60 lbs.
I bought mine at Target.https://www.amazon.com/Prince-Lionhe...SMZVVF4810GK64
hwichlaz 03:39 PM 04-14-2017
I wonder if something is up with her tailbone....sounds like my step mom after breaking hers. Once it was healed, she still couldn't sit in a hard chair without discomfort.
sahm1225 08:36 PM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I wonder if something is up with her tailbone....sounds like my step mom after breaking hers. Once it was healed, she still couldn't sit in a hard chair without discomfort.
I was thinking tailbone too. Is she fidgeting or actually bouncing in her chair?
Reply Up