Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Loose Parts
Josiegirl 04:44 PM 04-15-2017
I love the idea of using loose parts in the outdoor environment. Do you have a collection and if so, what sorts of things are included?
CalCare 06:56 PM 04-15-2017
Shells and rocks. Wooden bowls and spoons from Ross. I would someday add "tree cookies" if I can find any inexpensive.
Pandaluver21 07:33 PM 04-15-2017
We have a "fairy garden" with wood disks and rocks and twigs to build with. We also have a rock construction zone with rocks, logs, and trucks to play with. And a mud kitchen
Ariana 07:41 PM 04-15-2017
Someone tore up their cement driveway so I took multiple bucket loads of it to my backyard. The kids play with it all the time. I got two large logs from a neighbour and some sticks. Used tubberware containers and wooden spoons as well. I also have a mud kitchen out there.

I am planning to go to the hardware store this summer and pick out some more things. Plastic piping perhaps.
Josiegirl 04:17 AM 04-17-2017
Thanks all!
I'm trying to think of some local freebie resources to check out.
I do have some PVC piping and random pieces of wood. Plus shells, lotsa rocks. I've put those kinds of things out in the past and kids need some inspiration to use them.
I even painted bricks to look like a road with parking lots and they still didn't get used much. I'll try again.
I need to tweak it all to include what they play with most outside, plastic bugs and dinosaurs, the play kitchen area.
LittleScholars 09:41 AM 04-17-2017
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
We have a "fairy garden" with wood disks and rocks and twigs to build with. We also have a rock construction zone with rocks, logs, and trucks to play with. And a mud kitchen
Does anyone have a picture (or link!) that could serve as a model for this kind of thing?
Josiegirl 10:18 AM 04-17-2017
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
Does anyone have a picture (or link!) that could serve as a model for this kind of thing?
I was wondering what the wood disks would look like, just slices of branches? I have tons of sticks but my dogs eat them.
Pandaluver21 01:20 PM 04-17-2017
Not my pictures, but just to give you some ideas!

I will definitely be posting ours once we get things all finished

Most of ours are much smaller than these though, but we have a few different sizes.

LittleScholars 09:29 AM 04-18-2017
This is SOO cool. I just love this site. I get so many good ideas! I'm new, so I'm constantly adding to my toy collection, but I just don't think more toys is what we need outside anymore. They would LOVE all of these.
Pandaluver21 12:39 PM 04-18-2017
We are hoping to get ours done in the next month or so, I'm SO excited to see the finished product! The kids love helping us get things ready, and are looking forward to being able to play in the areas!!

So much more interactive than a few climbers and bikes. We have these too, but they are by far not the favorite areas :P
Reply Up