Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Positives Of Having A Home Daycare
Josiegirl 04:17 AM 04-25-2017
Sometimes it's hard to remember the reasons we chose this job, and granted, we all need a place to vent our frustrations(!!!!!), get ideas and advice for difficult(and good) situations. So from time to time, we need to be reminded of why we stick with this, what makes us plod through another day dealing with daycare's unique challenges.
So I'll start

My #1 reason was so I could be home with my own kids back(almost ) 36 years ago. But I stayed because:
I get to 'play' with kids(how many co-workers have you known who would be thrilled to chase bubbles for 30 minutes, or dig in the dirt, paint, draw, play tickle monster or dinosaur, laugh at silly stories or weird antics, get on your hands and knees and chase them around) Kids will never label you as that weird lady, you'll always be known as FUN to them
I get to play outdoors during the day
I get paid to do that
I love being home
I don't have to deal with the drama of working for anyone else
Kids give the best hugs, even when you're not expecting them
Watching a child beam as they discovered how to do something new or overcame a fear of climbing, etc.
There's a reason why my home is cluttered
I love toys, and coloring, and drawing and being silly, singing songs, dancing when nobody over 3 1/2 feet tall is watching.
I can wear jeans and shirts. Now to find the perfect pair of jeans. LOL
I get to take a sneak peek online during the day.
I've met some awesome support people in this line of work, I've worked with some amazing families and wonderful dcks!! (remember, this is a positive topic only)
I get to fully enjoy the changes of nature in a less hurried way.
I can play in the sand box without explaining myself.
I don't have to use algebra or american history or the french I've learned and forgotten in my lifetime.

Sure, there are challenges, sometimes really disheartening and troublesome challenges but I always hope to get past those and get to a much better place.
Of all the times I just wanted to walk right away from this and throw in the towel, look for the greener grass, I'm so glad I stayed. It's been right for me, my personality, and a good fit all(most?) of these years.
e.j. 05:13 AM 04-25-2017
All of the above plus I don't have to scrape off my car in the winter. I love my commute!
Ariana 09:29 AM 04-25-2017
When I get sick I can sit down as much as I want!! When I worked in a centre taking time off meant having to get a supply teacher which was hard. Now I can work with a cold because I can take it easy and rearrange my schedule if I need to. If I need to take a day I close, no need to find a supply.

I love that I don't have annoying coworkers who have different ideas about kids than I do. I operate based on my own philosophy which is great! I don't have to tell kids not to jump in the mud puddles I let them do it

Going for walks in the middle of the day, getting sunshine and fresh air.

Long breaks in the afternoon when everyone is sleeping so I can watch a show or a movie to unwind.
childcaremom 09:42 AM 04-25-2017
Being home for my kids was the draw. And why I'm still here, even though my youngest is 9 and oldest just finished his first year of uni. I love love love being here when they get home from school. I love getting them off in the morning. Don't have to worry if they are sick - I"m home.

I like being able to get dinner prepped during rest time so that my family eats at a normal time.

Can work when I am sick, as suggested above, I just take it easy.

I get my vacation on the dates that I want. I get paid holidays off.

I can change my policies as I need to so that it works for me.

If a family isn't working out, I replace them.

We don't need an extra car or to arrange our commutes.

I can wear my yoga stuff all day.

I can do yoga during rest time.

I love this job and what it lets me do. I love watching children play and engaging their imaginations. I love watching them figure out how to solve things on their own. I love seeing them grow and develop.
Mike 10:53 AM 04-25-2017
Why I want to do it...

Mainly because I love taking care of kids, and self-employment, and the bolded below.

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Sometimes it's hard to remember the reasons we chose this job, and granted, we all need a place to vent our frustrations(!!!!!), get ideas and advice for difficult(and good) situations. So from time to time, we need to be reminded of why we stick with this, what makes us plod through another day dealing with daycare's unique challenges.
So I'll start

My #1 reason was so I could be home with my own kids back(almost ) 36 years ago. But I stayed because:
I get to 'play' with kids(how many co-workers have you known who would be thrilled to chase bubbles for 30 minutes, or dig in the dirt, paint, draw, play tickle monster or dinosaur, laugh at silly stories or weird antics, get on your hands and knees and chase them around) Kids will never label you as that weird lady, you'll always be known as FUN to them
I get to play outdoors during the day
I get paid to do that
I love being home
I don't have to deal with the drama of working for anyone else
Kids give the best hugs, even when you're not expecting them
Watching a child beam as they discovered how to do something new or overcame a fear of climbing, etc.
There's a reason why my home is cluttered
I love toys, and coloring, and drawing and being silly, singing songs, dancing when nobody over 3 1/2 feet tall is watching.

I can wear jeans and shirts. Now to find the perfect pair of jeans. LOL
I get to take a sneak peek online during the day.
I've met some awesome support people in this line of work, I've worked with some amazing families and wonderful dcks!! (remember, this is a positive topic only)
I get to fully enjoy the changes of nature in a less hurried way.
I can play in the sand box without explaining myself.

I don't have to use algebra or american history or the french I've learned and forgotten in my lifetime.

Sure, there are challenges, sometimes really disheartening and troublesome challenges but I always hope to get past those and get to a much better place.
Of all the times I just wanted to walk right away from this and throw in the towel, look for the greener grass, I'm so glad I stayed. It's been right for me, my personality, and a good fit all(most?) of these years.

Baby Beluga 11:35 AM 04-25-2017
My experience started with the parent of a child asking me to watch their child instead of enrolling them in the center I used to work at. (ran into mom at the store, she found out I decided to be a SAHM and asked if I would be open to watching her infant). I have since moved away from caring for infants but have stayed in this profession.

*I love being home with my children. It has been challenging at times, but I would take our occasional challenges over sending them to daycare any day.

*I really enjoy forming relationships with the families I work with. Nothing tops having a parent tell you they are grateful for you.

*Watching the children grow and their personalities develop.

*That look of joy when a child masters a new skill

*I too like that I can sit down when needed. At the center I used to work at you could never sit down. Management felt it looked bad.

*Watching the children form relationships together.

*Being goofy. I can dance to Raffi, read books in silly voices and dance widely and my littles will laugh, not judge.

*I like being able to toss a load of laundry in or bake a goody during nap time. My kitchen and laundry room are adjacent to my classroom so it is super easy to monitor the children and get this kind of stuff done during nap.
Pepperth 01:06 PM 04-25-2017
I get to be home with my little son. I get to be home when my older son gets off the bus, during summer vacations and never have to scramble when my kids are sick or They have a snow day. No scary drives to work when the weather is bad. No anxiety over changes at work. I have control. I can clean my house during nap, spend all day outside if I want to and start dinner early. No competing with other co-workers to be on vacation when my son is on a school break. I don't even to take a vacation day since I'm home.

I get to watch children discover life, and make a difference in the world. I get to make connections with other early childhood prpfessionals and feed my desire to keep learning. I get to control my future and my career and even my raises. I don't have to pay for childcare and I make the same as I did at my old job.

Thanks for posing this question. I needed the reminder.
Unregistered 11:24 PM 04-25-2017
I loved that I was less rushed in the morning before my kids went to school ( they are grown now)

I love not having to go out and clean off my snowy car in the winter.

I still love I'm less rushed in the morning. Forgot to feed the cat? No problem, I'm home can still do it! Forgot my cell phone, I don't have to go back to get it ....I'm still home! Haha!

I love teaching! I love puppet stories, and flannel board fun and painting and fun!

When my kids were still in school I started dinner each night at five, I

While I don't do housework during the day I can be sweeping the front porch as parents pull up. I have always had way more time to stay on top of household stuff ( I have two separate child care rooms-can close the door at the end of the day).

Yes, I get to play with bubbles, play doh, and light tables!

I get to be outside enjoying a nice day, twice a day (or three x) not sitting in a cubicle!

I get hugs and high fives, I get to hear silly, goofy things, I get to celebrate things like Johnny Appleseed day!

I get payed every week, not every other!

I get to have a dance party whenever I feel like it! We love to put on music and dance!

I get to walk to the park and hang out on beautiful days.

I get to do fun magical things like make ice cream in a bag or watching kids experiment with pipettes, baking soda and vinegar!

I can start dinner early.
itchyfeet 05:09 PM 05-03-2017
I can play Mum and Wife, and still keep working towards my own career. I can lead at my son's scouts club and be involved in the community without taking time off, and I can help other families achieve their dreams and help them know their children are safe, secure and loved pretty sweet deal really!
Tags:positives of home care, pros
Reply Up