Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Pay Summer Help?
Unregistered 08:53 AM 04-26-2017
I have a small in home daycare, 4 kids all day plus 2 after school. This summer, however, I will be at full capacity with 8 full time kids, 4 of which are school aged. I have been toying with the idea of hiring a 14 year old to come a few hour a day and help out, maybe take the older kids outside while the little ones nap or take the older ones to the basement play room while I keep the younger ones upstairs. I was just wondering what people thought was the best way to pay? By the hour? Weekly rate?
CityGarden 09:07 AM 04-26-2017
I think legally you have to hire them as an employee with an hourly wage withholding taxes etc. I also think you need workers comp.

I will be in need of summer help as well so I am interested to learn along side you.
Daycare Insurance 09:17 AM 04-26-2017
What state are you in? Here in California, anyone in the daycare home must be fingerprinted and have a background check. You may want to check with licensing before hiring someone.
hwichlaz 09:25 AM 04-26-2017
Originally Posted by Daycare Insurance:
What state are you in? Here in California, anyone in the daycare home must be fingerprinted and have a background check. You may want to check with licensing before hiring someone.
That's anyone over 18

It's advised that you livescan your own children a few months early to be sure it's finished before their 18th birthday.
hwichlaz 09:29 AM 04-26-2017
My recommendation is to hire a sub that offers sub service as a business. I have two subs I can call that are "professional subs" and are happy to fill in even when I'm just not feeling well. They charge min. wage. But because it's their business (like hiring a landscaping service etc) they just invoice me.
CityGarden 09:39 PM 05-01-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
That's anyone over 18

It's advised that you livescan your own children a few months early to be sure it's finished before their 18th birthday.
Does this mean I can hire a high school student to help in summer (with me present) without them needing to livescan?

If so I would love some summer help.
CityGarden 01:51 PM 06-05-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Does this mean I can hire a high school student to help in summer (with me present) without them needing to livescan?

If so I would love some summer help.
Does anyone know that answer to this?
hwichlaz 04:16 PM 06-05-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Does anyone know that answer to this?
The answer is yes. Over 14 years old and they even count as another adult. But you have to be on the premesis because they are not 18.
Luvnmykidz 04:38 AM 06-12-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
The answer is yes. Over 14 years old and they even count as another adult. But you have to be on the premesis because they are not 18.
So what is the requirement for pay if they're under 18? Is it still no less than minimum wage and is workers comp required?
LysesKids 05:28 AM 06-12-2017
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
So what is the requirement for pay if they're under 18? Is it still no less than minimum wage and is workers comp required?
You have to go by state labor law; for MD a child 14-17 has to have a valid work permit signed off by their parent and it has to be in your possession before they can work. There are restrictions on the hours they can work too (my first jobs were in MD lol); based on licensing regs, they may have to be fingerprinted & background also. Federal Labor laws may actually be stricter than state law & then that's what you have to follow. MD has a higher minimum wage than Federal & employees under 20 years must be paid at least 85% of minimum which goes from 8.75 to 9.25 in July. I hired teen help in MD & WV one summer for another business before I moved away
Blackcat31 06:11 AM 06-12-2017
In my state helpers (over age 13 but not yet 18) can NEVER be left in charge of daycare children so taking a child outside would not be acceptable.

They can assist and help with daycare but they can't be in charge of supervision of daycare children so I'd check those rules in your state just to be sure.
Annalee 10:45 AM 06-12-2017
Here, workers have to be at least 16 but cannot be left alone until age 18...and there are several hours of trainings (shaken baby/before you begin/health-safety) implemented by the state this year that a worker must have before being hired as a worker, even for a sub. Used to, the provider hired would have a grace period after being hired to receive these trainings but now they must be completed in advance. Not to mention the background-fingerprint check/physical/references/etc. Each state may be similar or different with these regs. Generally, I pay by the hour when someone works for me but I have my contract set up where I do not need a sub very often. I use my MLK/presidents day/etc. for my appointments and have unlimited personal/emergency days because hiring a sub with all that is required now is difficult...the average person will not put in the time/passion I do when it comes to child care...and I do not mean that in a bad way, subs just do not view child care like i DO...
CityGarden 10:53 AM 06-12-2017
If I hired a teen it would be to assist me in helping supervise and play with the children not to replace me or to be left alone with the children. I am considering several different options in terms of help. I just read Nannyde's blog post on the subject so I am try to define what my biggest needs are (right now they are varied) and what I can afford so I am still very much on step one
Leigh 12:32 PM 06-12-2017
I pay between $15 and $25 per hour. I try not to hire the $25/hour helper any more than I HAVE to! If it were full-time, I might get away with paying less, but I have found that $15 gets them to come back.
hwichlaz 01:27 PM 06-12-2017
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
Work permits are't required during summer, but you still need to look up how many hours per day and per week a 14 year old can work. And yes, minimum wage is minimum wage. If not an immediate relative of your's you'll need worker's comp and payroll taxes.
catinthebox 07:23 PM 06-12-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I pay between $15 and $25 per hour. I try not to hire the $25/hour helper any more than I HAVE to! If it were full-time, I might get away with paying less, but I have found that $15 gets them to come back.
15 dollars sounds good! Any kid would be jellying. Hope you get the help you needed.
Tags:assistant - summer, hiring - helper, summer help
Reply Up