Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>10-Month-Old Constant Blowouts
Pestle 01:21 PM 04-26-2017
I have a child who fusses continuously and doesn't sleep. She does NOT do this at home, but she is held and loved on to keep her from fussing, so I've been assuming she got positive reinforcement of attention-seeking behavior and that's why she's the Baby of Constant Scream. DH was home this morning and got to meet her and kept cracking up over the fussing. "You weren't kidding!" he said.

She's on formula. She is 10 1/2 months old and has massive thunder thighs and is in size 3 disposables, the same as two other kids I currently have (one bigger than her, one the same size but with smaller thighs). She is crawling and sitting up but not standing, and she spends most of her time sitting and rocking back and forth while fussing.

She has blowouts ALL. DAY. LONG. I send home two outfits in a plastic bag each day. The poop is runny, chalky, and pale green, and it shoots straight up her buttocks and up her spine, clumping mid-back. I just changed her 20 minutes ago, catching a bowel movement before it leaked, but while I was feeding her, she just leaked all over my pants.

Are any of these the culprit of the blowouts? Do you have additional ideas?

1. Diapers the wrong size?
2. Diapers the wrong fit?
3. Formula causes horrible poops that simply cannot be contained? I have an older child on formula, but her bowel movements aren't like this; other than those two, I don't have experience with kids who aren't breastfed.
4. Intolerance to the formula causing horrible poops AND horrible fussiness?
5. Rocking motion working it up her spine like those old Shoot the Moon wooden games?
6. Gremlins in her pants?
laundrymom 01:46 PM 04-26-2017
I would have them buy bigger diapers. Or switch brands. And I'd stop sitting her on her rear. I'd lay her on tummy.
Snowmom 01:53 PM 04-26-2017
Gremlins in her pants.
I vote that!

Sounds like a possible allergy or intolerance to the formula she eats. I'd talk about switching.
Pestle 02:31 PM 04-26-2017
I'll push it when I see her Friday. I brought it up today and the mom seemed surprised--she didn't realize this wasn't normal.

Laundrymom, this is a 10 1/2 month old so there's no laying her on her tummy! She's fully mobile and starting to think about pulling herself up to stand. She wants to sit, so she sits herself up.
Ariana 02:34 PM 04-26-2017
Diarrhea is cause for exclusion here so I would be calling for pickup. Let the parents figure out what is going on. This is obviously happening at home. You don't get paid enough to be her Dr and her allergist!! Tell them you exclude for diarrhea and suggest they figure out what is going on.
hwichlaz 02:59 PM 04-26-2017
One of my nephews was like this until he was solidly on solid foods and potty trained :P YUCK

He was her second child and she knew it couldn't be right, kept asking the doctor about it and he kept saying....some kids just do that.

As a parent though, I'd still be cycling through a new formula every month until I found one that firmed things up. However, she might just refuse to eat. I've never met a kid that easily switches formulas since they all taste different.

My breastfed kiddos did that until starting solids, but it was every two or three days. They'd save up, then explode....no disposable could hold it. But a cloth diaper with strong elastic could.
Tags:blow outs
Reply Up