Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>An important question about infant rooms in Indiana
Concerned Day care worker 03:12 PM 04-28-2017
I work at a daycare center in Indiana. Sometimes, I am in the infant room (it used to be a lot more regularly than lately), and I have developed quite the bond with some of the kids.
That said, 4 of the children in our infant room are over a year and are walking/eating table food. They are ready to be moved up to the toddler room, especially since some new, going babies have started. Unfortunately we are at maximum capacity and cannot move anyone around until June.
One of the 14 month old children in the infant room currently is a very sweet and energetic boy but lately he's been left in the crib for hours on end, awake and often crying. This ranges from 1.5 (on average) to 2+ and that's just what I know of.
This is breaking my heart for this poor child and I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what I can do to prevent this from happening in the future? I read something about laws in another state saying that a child can be left in a crib for no more than 30 minutes when content, does that rule apply to every state? At what point do I tell his parents?
I am really shaken up about this as it is the second time THIS WEEK that I've witnessed it and even offered to take him to another room if he was being a bother only to be denied and see that he's still being kept in a crib.
I need help, please.
Unregistered 04:11 PM 04-28-2017
well I read the regs for your state:
470 IAC 3-4.7-126 Infant program
(4) not place awake children in cribs, except for a short period of time when going to sleep or awakening.
(Division of Family Resources; 470 IAC 3-4.7-126; filed Aug 11, 2003, 3:00 p.m.: 27 IR 154)

Sec. 123. Caregivers shall:
(8) respond quickly to infants’ cries or calls of distress; and
(9) respond to infants

In any group that has an infant or toddler, the maximum age range between the oldest and youngest child in the
group shall be thirteen (13) months.
(d) All caregivers shall interact with and address the needs of all children in their room

So yep I see this as a issue. I would o to your director, it may just be something the staff needs to be reminded about, it happens sometimes!
Reply Up