Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cribs and Lightweight Strollers
Josiegirl 03:50 AM 05-28-2016
I have a 6 mo starting in less than a month. At the moment all I have are a couple cheapie pack'n'plays that I bought for 1 yo twins. I don't feel comfortable using them for a 6 mo; they don't fit tightly. So I've been checking into the prices of cribs. Truthfully I've been hoping to find one at a yard sale or consignment store but no luck. Any recommendations?? Also, do you always have to make an additional purchase of a mattress, they don't come with them??

I also need a single stroller. I have an umbrella one that's seen better days but I'd like one a little sturdier, with a better canopy to protect from the sun. I've been shopping for that too.

It's been awhile since I bought either one and didn't realize the price of anything halfway decent.

I've checked online at amazon, wayfair, burlington coat factory, walmart, target. What do you all use that you feel is safe, economical?

Thanks!!
lovemydaycare0912 06:18 AM 05-28-2016
I bought my cribs from Ikea. Not super expensive, maybe 120 including mattress . Pack n plays Ive bought from Walmart maybe 40 bucks
Josiegirl 06:32 AM 05-28-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
I bought my cribs from Ikea. Not super expensive, maybe 120 including mattress . Pack n plays Ive bought from Walmart maybe 40 bucks
I never thought of IKEA, thanks!
laundrymom 06:35 AM 05-28-2016
I have two folding ports cribs from foundations. I think you can get them through lakeshore. They are pricey but I've used them every day since July of 13.
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 05-28-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I have a 6 mo starting in less than a month. At the moment all I have are a couple cheapie pack'n'plays that I bought for 1 yo twins. I don't feel comfortable using them for a 6 mo; they don't fit tightly. So I've been checking into the prices of cribs. Truthfully I've been hoping to find one at a yard sale or consignment store but no luck. Any recommendations?? Also, do you always have to make an additional purchase of a mattress, they don't come with them??

I also need a single stroller. I have an umbrella one that's seen better days but I'd like one a little sturdier, with a better canopy to protect from the sun. I've been shopping for that too.

It's been awhile since I bought either one and didn't realize the price of anything halfway decent.

I've checked online at amazon, wayfair, burlington coat factory, walmart, target. What do you all use that you feel is safe, economical?

Thanks!!
I have mini cribs
They fold flat for easy storage and are sturdy and durable
I put them on my wishlist on Amazon and waited a few days til they went on sale and bought 2 at around $90 each. I have Prime so S/H was free

This is the one I bought
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...FV372HFG5GPDCY

Unregistered 07:48 AM 05-28-2016
http://www.amazon.com/Foundations-St...+stowaway+crib

These are folding, durable, come with a good mattress and meet current standards.
you take it out of the box and unfold, put in the mattress and ready to go.

Unregistered 07:57 AM 05-28-2016
That crib has free shpg too, no prime needed. If you go to order one and there isn't free shipping just keep checking back. Sometimes it's out of stock from the suppliers that have free shpg thru amazon bit I have never waited more than a few days.
Josiegirl 03:21 PM 05-28-2016
BC, does a 3" mattress come with it? I see they sell the sheets to fit it on amazon too. It works out well?
I put both that one and unregistered's suggestion in my shopping cart to see what happens.

Thanks!
Blackcat31 04:01 PM 05-28-2016
BC, does a 3" mattress come with it? I see they sell the sheets to fit it on amazon too. It works out well?
I put both that one and unregistered's suggestion in my shopping cart to see what happens.

Thanks!
No. I did upgrade to the 3" and the other one that came with it makes a great outdoor changing pad... Lol!

The one that comes with it IS sufficient and I had sheets that fit but not very well (manageable but not snug).

I upgraded to the 3" mattress because my state is SUPER strict about how sheets fit and the thinner mattress fit just wouldn't cut it.
Blackcat31 04:04 PM 05-28-2016

Thanks!
I like the one unregistered posted too but the review about the mechanism that allows the mattress to be raised being potentially dangerous, and it being good for non mobile infants only kinda freaked me out because we have to keep them in a crib until 12 months and they're usually mobile long before that so I just went with the Dream on me. The reviews seemed more positive.
Unregistered 04:50 PM 05-28-2016
There is no mechanism like that, don't know what that review would be talking about. And there is no issue with mobile infants/toddlers either. It's a very durable and well made small crib.
Before the big crib switch-over it was sold as an evacuation crib and I would still use it that way if I needed to.
There are no dangerous parts sticking out on mine or scraped paint. There are those ugly warning labels on them that one review referred to but, that works for childcare.
Unregistered 05:11 PM 05-28-2016
The only thing that I do not like about the foundations crib is the look, and that it's metal. I prefer wood but had to replace all of mine at once.
I had the identical foundations one pre-crib replacement as an evac crib I had to buy in order to receive a variance from licensing, so I knew it was good quality. And it was the most economical at that time.
We jokingly refer to them as "baby jails" because of the metal bars, but they are kind of cute with my home-sewn sheets. I believe the mattresses are 2"thick and they are firm.
Josiegirl 03:03 AM 05-29-2016
Thanks so much, you input has all been very helpful!!

Sometimes I hold back from asking questions(such as about the mattresses)for fear of appearing dumb, but then when I do ask, I'm really glad I did!
Josiegirl 05:34 PM 06-04-2016
I ended up getting a mini crib on amazon with a 3" mattress and 1 mini crib sheet, it came to about 125. AND lucked out at a yard sale today with a $25 jogging stroller which will handle my stones in my back yard! Just needs a little bit of clean up and it'll be good to go.

NillaWafers 08:10 PM 06-04-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have mini cribs
I put them on my wishlist on Amazon and waited a few days til they went on sale and bought 2 at around $90 each. I have Prime so S/H was free

This is the one I bought

Oh I'm buying that soon, haha - how funny. But for my 5 month old, he doesn't even have a crib

I am interviewing twins and only have one pack n' play so I guess I should figure out what I'm going to do, maybe just buy another one or two haha.
Meeko 08:57 AM 06-06-2016
I have mini cribs

This is the one I bought

I have these too. Love them!
sahm1225 07:26 PM 08-09-2016
I have mini cribs

This is the one I bought

Are they easy to clean? It shows they are made of l
Pine
Blackcat31 06:45 AM 08-10-2016
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Are they easy to clean? It shows they are made of l
Pine
The white one and the darker wood one are easily wipeable so cleaning hasn't been an issue at all. I've taken mine down and stored it and taken it back out and used it several times over the last year and it's held up really well.

My friend bought the natural pine one and said it seems to be a matte finish and isn't as easy to clean as she was hoping. She also has a white one and said she wishes she would have bought 2 white instead.
sahm1225 11:09 AM 08-10-2016
Thanks BC! I'm
Looking to get a white one.
Josiegirl 03:35 PM 10-22-2016
Just wanted to come back to say thank you for the recommendations.
I put the crib together tonight. Lol Ended up not needing it when I started this topic but will have an infant start FT next week. I have to say I love this thing! It fits through the doorway so I can roll it to wherever I am. The mattress board adjusts higher or lower so no breaking my back. The other mattress I bought to go with it fits nice and snug; so does the crib sheet.
I'm not all that coordinated so it took a lil bit to figure out how to do it by myself. But I LOVE it!!
Thanks again!!
Tags:cribs, strollers
Reply Up