Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Earth Day is Thursday, April 22nd!
originalkat 06:17 PM 04-21-2010
Tomorrow is Earth day so I thought I would share a few things I am doing this year or have done in previous years...

1) Make Bird Feeders using rice cakes, Peanut butter and bird seed and hang them in the trees.
2) Plant a bush in the yard
3) Plant a flower for each child to take home
4) Practice Sorting for Recycling. I have a container of various plastic, paper, and metal consumables. The children practice sorting them into the correct containers.
5) Go on a walk around the neighborhood and pick up any trash we find.
6) Have children tear newspaper, green, and blue construction paper and stick it on clear contact paper. Cover the other side with contact paper and cut into a circle.
7) Paint paper plate with green and blue.
Here are a picture from last year of the paper plate earth and the contact paper earth we made.

Anyone else have Earth Day ideas to share?
SunflowerMama 06:20 PM 04-21-2010
Cute ideas!!
gkids09 06:30 PM 04-21-2010
Those are all really good ideas! Unfortunately, a few years ago, the electric company made us cut down the HUGE shade tree that we had, so now the sandbox and much of the bike area is pure sun. Tomorrow, we are going to plant an oak tree in the same area the other one was, but just far enough away from the lines that we won't have to cut it down in 20 or so years. lol
Also, this whole week is Earth Day themed, so we have read books about the earth and talked about all the things that we can do to keep the earth clean. My favorite was when we looked at a globe, talked about the amount of water (blue) compared to land (green/brown), and then spongepainted circles to look like the earth. These turned out REALLY good. We glued our earths on black construction paper, and then used cotton balls to make clouds across them. The kids really enjoyed it, and although all their earths look similar, they are all different because they got to paint them.
Friday, we are going to make homemade blueberry muffins and use green food coloring and blueberries to make them look like the earth.
originalkat 07:10 PM 04-21-2010
Originally Posted by gkids09:
Those are all really good ideas! Unfortunately, a few years ago, the electric company made us cut down the HUGE shade tree that we had, so now the sandbox and much of the bike area is pure sun. Tomorrow, we are going to plant an oak tree in the same area the other one was, but just far enough away from the lines that we won't have to cut it down in 20 or so years. lol
Also, this whole week is Earth Day themed, so we have read books about the earth and talked about all the things that we can do to keep the earth clean. My favorite was when we looked at a globe, talked about the amount of water (blue) compared to land (green/brown), and then spongepainted circles to look like the earth. These turned out REALLY good. We glued our earths on black construction paper, and then used cotton balls to make clouds across them. The kids really enjoyed it, and although all their earths look similar, they are all different because they got to paint them.
Friday, we are going to make homemade blueberry muffins and use green food coloring and blueberries to make them look like the earth.
I love it! What a great way to include a little geography lesson for preschoolers! We will have to get out the globe tomorrow too.
Tags:earth day
Reply Up