Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Working with Difficult Coworker or Boss?
catinthebox 01:08 AM 10-22-2016
I been having problems with some of my coworkers for a while now. But one of them is on a serious note where i straight out don't talk to her anymore. She has a horrible attitude when you tell her to do something or when you tell her to do something correctly.

She is really lazy! She doesn't do her job right. I always have to remind her of the rules even tho she used to go here as a kid and probably grew up here. She does the least amount of work here, even tho we got people with mess up backs and torn muscles putting long shift and more work than she is! I am the person with the torn acl/mcl

Which pissed me off the most because she complains for the smallest things. Example one, cries that her shift is too long. Her shift here is only three freaking hours and you do nothing!

Like i can't believed what she did today. At our daycare site, we have duties that we have to do and i took out the trash today so cleaning the back room was her responsible. You would think she would start cleaning up when all the kids were moved to the front room right? Wrong, she tries to make a fast one and signed off on our roll sheet and before she left i told her that the backroom was her. She then relpy" I am off". Me " Really?" trying my best not to make a scene because we have kids and parents still here. Told my other coworker who has been here for 20 years and she told me to talk to the boss on Monday. The sad part is that she probably won't even get a write up or something because her mom has the third higher position in the company and also because her mom knows my boss. But we see what happens on Monday.

Feeling very heated. Just wondering if you guys have the same or similar experiences?
Unregistered 11:36 AM 10-22-2016
Unfortanetly I have found over the years it' s just part of having co-workers. Each job tends to have a few that are hard workers and a few that are total slackers. Managers and bosses know they are slackers but don't expect anything to come of it. Seriously if you must voice your complaints do it one time only or you end up looking like a whiner. Don't expect much change. Slackers don't really want to be there anyway so they don't care if they are fired but from experience things may change for a week or two then it goes back to the way it was. Bosses and managers know that the hard workers will cover the slack for others but don't expect much appreciation on that front as well. Welcome the the working world.
Febby 08:46 PM 10-22-2016
In a center, or any job where multiple people work, there are always workers who don't pull their weight. If you're very, very lucky, your director will discuss it with them and then (if they don't improve) replace them or seriously limit their hours and responsibilities (and pay). In reality, usually you're stuck with them unless/until their laziness results in actual child neglect.

I do usually ignore people who complain that their shifts are too long. If I do bother saying anything to them it's usually to remind them that they could always ask the director to give them fewer hours.
Ariana 01:07 AM 10-23-2016
You seem to be taking on the role of her boss. Are you her boss? I personally would just go about my day, doing what I am supposed to do and let her do what she is supposed to do and mind my own business. It is not worth the stress to be micromanaging this idiot. So if she was supposed to clean a backroom and doesnt do it, leave it and either tell the boss or the boss will figure it out when something has not been cleaned at the end of the day. This needs to become the bosses problem not yours if that makes sense.

When other workers pick up the slack for a lazy person they have no reason to do their work and they get in zero trouble for not doing their work. I would have made sure that backroom stayed messy so she could either tackle it the next day or so the boss would see it. It really is not your problem. She is getting paid and she needs to work...otherwise your boss has to hire someone else. Ignore her and her laziness and let someone else deal with it. Do not do her job for her!
racemom 12:45 PM 10-23-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
You seem to be taking on the role of her boss. Are you her boss? I personally would just go about my day, doing what I am supposed to do and let her do what she is supposed to do and mind my own business. It is not worth the stress to be micromanaging this idiot. So if she was supposed to clean a backroom and doesnt do it, leave it and either tell the boss or the boss will figure it out when something has not been cleaned at the end of the day. This needs to become the bosses problem not yours if that makes sense.

When other workers pick up the slack for a lazy person they have no reason to do their work and they get in zero trouble for not doing their work. I would have made sure that backroom stayed messy so she could either tackle it the next day or so the boss would see it. It really is not your problem. She is getting paid and she needs to work...otherwise your boss has to hire someone else. Ignore her and her laziness and let someone else deal with it. Do not do her job for her!
THIS! Why worry about what coworkers do or don't do. If you are doing what you need to, than its not your issue.
catinthebox 02:36 PM 10-23-2016
[quote=Ariana;611956]You seem to be taking on the role of her boss. Are you her boss? I personally would just go about my day, doing what I am supposed to do and let her do what she is supposed to do and mind my own business.

I am not her boss. But where the command order is i am ranked 3 behind my boss,my coworker that been working there for 20 years and then me. I get the the keys to the place and i am one of the few leading teachers at the site. So everything falls on me when i am with her and other staff members inside or outside.

To be honest, i had ignore it for a long time but i am really ticked off now. If everything is not done right then all the blame with go to me and my coworker since we are the closer. We been picking up the slack where we are even staying late and are not even getting paid for it. i am a college student as well and so i dont have much time anyways. Thats why i don't like to be the one barking things out but in a nice way because i feel like they should alway know how we run things around here. I understand the new staff are not gonna know how everything goes and how we do things but some of the other staff aren't trying to teach and led them. Lesson learned here was i should have voice my concern to the boss right after the bat when they didn't want to listen or correct the behavior.

I hope my boss talks to these people and everything does well. I mean if nothing changes then i am leaving here. A few of my coworker that have left told me i should just leave because there are better places with better pay, better work environment and better management. Which is 100 percent true lol, i dont want to leave this place because of the kids, but at the end of the day its your life and your happiness that matters.
Rockgirl 02:40 PM 10-23-2016
Just an FYI....that yellow font is impossible (for me) to read. Maybe because I'm on my phone and using the lite version of the site. Or maybe because I'm 46.
catinthebox 02:57 PM 10-23-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Just an FYI....that yellow font is impossible (for me) to read. Maybe because I'm on my phone and using the lite version of the site. Or maybe because I'm 46.
the quote that i highlighted
"You seem to be taking on the role of her boss. Are you her boss? I personally would just go about my day, doing what I am supposed to do and let her do what she is supposed to do and mind my own business."

I am 21 and my eyes can't see it too, sorry for me being stupid should have changed it to a much lighter color.
Ariana 04:23 PM 10-23-2016
If you are responsible for these people than in my opinion you should also be responsible for hiring and firing these people.

I am truly sorry this is happening but you really need to make it stop. People like this do not deserve employment and you do not deserbe to be doing more than your share without extra pay. I would go to my boss and be super firm about your boundaries about this.
catinthebox 08:10 PM 10-23-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
If you are responsible for these people than in my opinion you should also be responsible for hiring and firing these people.

I am truly sorry this is happening but you really need to make it stop. People like this do not deserve employment and you do not deserbe to be doing more than your share without extra pay. I would go to my boss and be super firm about your boundaries about this.
I am pretty happy this has happen to me, taught me alot of lessons on what i need to do for myself. I need to put on my big pants and be firm. Hopefuly my boss agrees with me and things starts to change.
catinthebox 08:03 AM 10-24-2016
Talked to the boss and she said we should meet and fix it and if we can't then she will have to step in.... she also said that the other person told her she feel like she shouldnt be taking order from me because she has been here longer as a young child going here and as an adult working here. Yet the sad thing is she is broking the number one rule, which is don't let the kids behind your back! That's a big write up if the state comes in and a big safety issue. Boss already tell us that this shouldnt/should never happen but you know when a certain staff who's mom is high in that same company doesn't do her job she doesn't get no written or no talk...

Disappointed with what she told me. no mention of how the coworker actions isnt acceptable or tolerated here. But rather how I am a valuable asset to her and how we also need her... I mean, I am not the only one getting her fits and bad attitudes. which even our most senior staff has had problems with her receiving orders and giving her a fit. I feel like nothing is gonna changed or happen

Time to pack my stuff and find a new job.
Ariana 10:18 AM 10-24-2016
That is unfortunate. If they are willing to see you go and keep an idiot than you are better off somewhere where people appreciate you more.

I once worked with a moron and I went to my boss and said "it is her or me" and I was lucky he chose me and fired her, but either way I couldnt put up with that.
catinthebox 01:52 AM 10-25-2016
From what i found out from my coworker that closed with me that the "person" had issues before when she used to work here a few years ago. So basically from what she told me, the boss already know about her behavior and everything from the get go.. My friend that work at the desk where she used to work at also told me she got complains from parents so i am shocked by whats happening here ahh not really! We are low on people and are running around like a chicken with out their heads. So i don't think shes gonna do anything that would make her leave unless she does so thing that would require her getting fire.

Today was rough, she yelled at me infront of the whole kids and my coworker and i didn't like how she handled it. As a dam boss/adult you just don't go yelling at another staff just because i didn't get the message that we are not longer preparing food ahead of times because it saves me time because i am in the backroom trying my best to serve the food as fast as can because i am the only one doing it. I had went up to the front to grabed peanut butter sandwhichs because we ran out of turkey sandwhich that the food company we hired ran out. As she told me this, i was kind of upset because it would put more stress on me because i am the only one doing it, i am putting like 4 different types of food on it, while trying to handle problems with the kids and reshuffling and making more plates. I didn't say anything at all, but was trying to hide my emotions, but my dam face gave it away lol at first when i first started to work here i was pretty good at that but now i am burnt out and its a dead give away. I had a bag of Celery in my hand and then she starts yellikng at me and then grabed the bag out of my hand and throw it inside the trashcan. Mind you, it was raining and we had both front and backroom full with kids doing their homework and she does this cr8p. I wasn't one happy camper, I wanted to say something but i couldnt. i got the kids and i always have to set a good example for them even if people in certain positions don't.

Gonna see how the next two weeks are and if things starts to go bad, i am gonna leave because this is affecting me in a negative way.
racemom 11:39 AM 10-25-2016
It is time for you to get away from that place. It's hard to leave, especially when you have become attached to the kids, but this does not sound like a good environment
I would begin my job search immediately if I were treated that way.
catinthebox 08:37 AM 10-27-2016
update

Well, me and the other person that i will call Lisa had our meeting that our boss had set up to defuse the problems. We weren't yelling at each other but our tone and voice got a little higher than usually .

Lets say that the meeting was ok We found out that we disagree on many things . I already knew and from what my boss and coworker told me she is stuck and basically what she said proves it. You guys won't believed the things she said! She told me that she didn't like my attitude toward her and i told her i am sorry for the two times that i raise my voice at her, but when it comes to me being in the backroom with her and other staff and when we are outside.

I do most of the work and i get really frustrated from picking up the slack and get overwhelm when good amount of kids are coming to at once when they are having problems. I addressed to her that i am mad all the times because i don't get help and i do all the work. she told me "you should asked" hmmm. Well, to be honest people should asked if they need, but heres the thing i shouldn't be asking for help when its part of your dam job to help a staff if you see him/her struggling or having problems. We are supposed to be together as one, not just going solo and stuff. Its also funny how she told me " you should learned how to multitask and you shouldn't be sending the kids to us because its being disrespectful to them". LIKE for reals! So its my job to be the only one to handle the kids problems when you are guys are also staff as well. Also the fact that i send the kids to you guys was because i needed help in the first place! I am handling one problem and 4 other kids start calling out my name and i can't address all the needs at once. Like I told the kids" I am sorry but go to your other staff right now, i would love to help you but i am handling a problem right now.".

Not only does she not help out staff, she also doesn't do her job! She lets the kids go behind her back! Thats so dangerous and a big fat written up if the state comes, but she doesn't care because she think shes know how to do the job... Surprise! She also doesn't watch them as well, she thinks she can watch the kids on the bball courts,the kids on the tables, and the kids on the grass at the same time.. the only thing that she is watching is the kids on the table because she is talking to them and is have a good time . Mean while you see kids having problems, kids falling, kids going off to certain areas where they should'n be unless they are with a staff near by, cough cough letting the kids run around the tree that has roots sticking out of it. The boss told every staff in a demanding voice that kids should be away from the trees! But you know its just another day at our site. Like this little girl, even tho she is 25 she still acts like one, she thinks i am bossing her and telling her what to do when i am talking to her and letting her know that she can't be do these things and the fact that she had daily duties that we all have. Reason why? Its because i am 21 and i am younger than her. She told me that "she have work here longer than you and she been here longer than me . But dam! You sure hell don't act like one when you aren't doing your job! Can't even tell her own to do her responsible which was to clean the backroom and shut it down while i take out the trash. Its always good to know when you come back and expecting the room to be clean and then you come back and its still dirty and nothing was clean. Thats like the best gift ever! I even help her out by cleaning the tables when i didn't have to and the funny part was that she took the kids up to the front room because the count was low and then she signs off in the time sheet and walks off. she dam knows that she was suppose to clean it! I even told her in a nice way that she had to clean the backroom and was told " i am off" hmmmm you could have cleaned the backroom and move the kids to one part of the room... it could have been done in 15 mins but nooo! I told her in todays meeting that i didn't like the fact that she didn't do her fair share of work and didn't clean up i was pissed. Her dam excuses " oo the kids are drawing and its always gonna get dirty when you clean it lol. Its funny when she tells me that she has all this experiences from working at many daycare/sites but yet you can't even handle the situation where all you have to do is shut the half of the room and move the kids to the other half so that you can clean, but while other staff is watching them.

From the person who closes with me, she told me in secret that the boss was hesitant in even bring her back to the site because of past issues!
Reply Up