Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Infant Cereal Pancakes
blandino 06:53 AM 03-17-2014
I found this in pinterest. If you could make sure to get the serving size correct, it would be a great way for those on the FP to feed an infant cereal without having to spoon feed them.

I think you could leave out all the spices, etc. and have a more bland version that would work just fine for getting the infant cereal served.

http://pinterest.com/pin/46161964905272829/
Meyou 07:14 AM 03-17-2014
I would leave out the juice and sugar too.
blandino 07:27 AM 03-17-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I would leave out the juice and sugar too.
Yes, I would basically just want a way to serve the required cereal, without having to do it in mushy form. Once a baby is on table foods, but still an infant, the cereal is a PITA to me.
Meyou 07:36 AM 03-17-2014
I never feed infant cereal. Just normal oatmeal once they are ready. I don't take infants but that would still be my rule. Infant cereal is just an early way to get kids addicted to empty carbs. IMO.

Those banana oatmeal "cookies" might work the same way. It's basically egg, oatmeal (or other grain), banana and some spice for flavor.
blandino 08:44 AM 03-17-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I never feed infant cereal. Just normal oatmeal once they are ready. I don't take infants but that would still be my rule. Infant cereal is just an early way to get kids addicted to empty carbs. IMO.

Those banana oatmeal "cookies" might work the same way. It's basically egg, oatmeal (or other grain), banana and some spice for flavor.
I only do it because our FP says all under 12 months have to eat it, even if they are on table foods. I don't mind mixing it in with puréed food, because that isn't any extra work. But to feed an 11 month old cereal while they are eating a full helping of table food is what I'm trying to avoid.
melilley 11:04 AM 03-17-2014
Originally Posted by blandino:
I only do it because our FP says all under 12 months have to eat it, even if they are on table foods. I don't mind mixing it in with puréed food, because that isn't any extra work. But to feed an 11 month old cereal while they are eating a full helping of table food is what I'm trying to avoid.
The chart that I have from the fp says infants 8-11 mo. must be served infant cereal and/or the other components. I take it as they don't have to have the cereal if you serve the other components, that's the way I read it. You might not have to serve it to your 11 mo. old.
craftymissbeth 11:07 AM 03-17-2014
I've never had an infant that would eat infant cereal for more than a month or so... but then again I've never tried. I just started the FP in February and my only infant is only 4 months so I haven't given it much thought yet. I'm going to have to check to see if I'll HAVE to feed him infant cereal until he's no longer an infant.
Patches 11:47 AM 03-17-2014
We aren't technically required to offer the cereal until they are 8 months. Then from 8 - 12 months we have to offer 2-4 tablespoons of infant cereal at breakfast, then lunch we don't have to give them cereal if we give them meat or cheese instead. It is not required for snack. I agree, though. It IS a PITA to get that cereal in there

ETA:
Meant to say, the pancakes look like a good solution
melilley 11:50 AM 03-17-2014
Originally Posted by Patches:
We aren't technically required to offer the cereal until they are 8 months. Then from 8 - 12 months we have to offer 2-4 tablespoons of infant cereal at breakfast, then lunch we don't have to give them cereal if we give them meat or cheese instead. It is not required for snack. I agree, though. It IS a PITA to get that cereal in there
Oops you're right, I was just looking at lunch requirements.
Heidi 12:11 PM 03-17-2014
Originally Posted by Patches:

ETA:
Meant to say, the pancakes look like a good solution
If your food program allows, I advise serving morning snack, lunch, and dinner (a hefty afternoon snack, basically). You get more money that way, and adding the little bit extra at afternoon snack means they go home more satisfied and less likely to have that "witching hour" right before dinner. Our food program started encouraging this when the tiers first changed, but I know some don't allow serving dinner before a certain time.

For dinner/snack, I usually do sandwiches, or cheese/crackers and fruits/raisins etc. My lunches are almost always "hot lunches".
Tags:feeding - infants, menu, recipes
Reply Up