Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Where is Your Diaper Changing sStation?
Abigail 03:52 PM 09-06-2010
For those of you who work alone, where is your diaper changing station? I'm not sure whether to keep it in the corner of the main room to still keep an eye on the other children or put the diaper changing station in the bathroom.

I don't really want to be down the hall in the bathroom too often changing diapers with other children in the main daycare area (livingroom) unattended for a few minutes....you never know what could happen. Just wondering where you place everything or if you worked out a schedule that works nicely to change diapers and still keep an eye on the other 5-6 children during that time.
DancingQueen 04:30 PM 09-06-2010
As odd as it sounds, I have my station in my kitchen. I have a porcelain top (small) table in the corner of my kitchen and next to it is a shelf with all the supplies that I need for changing diapers. I have 3 rooms and a hallway that I use for daycare. (kitchen, play room and living room)
Unregistered 04:35 PM 09-06-2010
I keep all the diapers, wipes, and fold up changing pad on my tv stand in the living room and when I change diaper I pull out the changing pad lay it on the couch grab the diapers and wipes and change the babies right in the living room. I change my babies at 9am, 11am, 1:30pm, 3:30pm, and 5pm everyday of course if they poop in between then I change them.
Unregistered 05:51 PM 09-06-2010
This legomom922, and I have not been able to log in all day. Is something wrong? I put in my name and password, and I get the screen that says thanks for logging in and that I will be redirected, but then I am NOT really logged in! Can you help?
kendallina 06:33 PM 09-06-2010
I use a diaper changing pad on the floor in the playroom. I think I'm going to put it in the hall when children are here (I only have children 3 hours/day) because everyone is becoming very interested in watching what's going on... I'd still be able to see what's going on in the playroom from the hall which I'd like. I don't blame you for wanting to put it in the room that you use. I wouldn't want to be where I couldn't see the kids during changes.
Abigail 06:38 PM 09-06-2010
Does anyone else have a permanent changing station, like on a changing table, that they use and can not move it from room to room? I'ld like to use a changing table so I'm not on the ground or moving things around. I'm only having parents supply the diapers and I'll buy the wipes....no need to have 4 different wipe containers, lol.
DCMomOf3 06:52 PM 09-06-2010
I have a station in my nap room right off of the playroom. There are glass doors so I can be changing diapers while still keeping my eye on the kids.
caitlin 07:17 PM 09-06-2010
I have a changing table in our main bathroom, which is right off from where my dckids spend most of their time. My son is still in diapers so I have it in a spot that is conventint for me to use during dc and during the weekends and evenings.
GretasLittleFriends 05:38 AM 09-07-2010
I have a changing table in my kids' room that I use for little ones (under age 1). Once they are too big for the changing table I have a mat that I use to do diaper changes, and I usually change them either on the bathroom floor or on the living room/ play room floor (depending on who's here). All of my parents supply diapers and wipes they just keep them in their bag. The bags all hang on hooks by the back door, and I get them out as I need them. Except I have a new infant starting tomorrow and I will supply those wipes and the parents will be leaving a pack of diapers here for her. That is what they prefer, and is fine with me.
SilverSabre25 06:08 AM 09-07-2010
I have the changing table in the nap room. I prefer to change everyone at the same time, and usually the big kids follow me anyway. My state laws mandate that I be in visual OR auditory range of the children at all times, so it's fine IMO to leave the bigger kids 10 ft (if that) down the hall in the playroom while I change 1-3 diapers.
DCMom 07:40 AM 09-07-2010
I have a commercial, wall-mounted KoalaKare changing table mounted behind the bathroom door. My dc bathroom is directly off the playroom, so I can leave the door open and hear/see everything going on. I love that thing!
MarinaVanessa 08:51 AM 09-07-2010
I have a pack'n'play in the living room that has a built-in changing table that swings up and over the pack/n/play. Each child's diapering supplies are kept in the same room nearby in the child's cubby so I get what I need and change the diaper. If we are upstairs in our nap/quiet room (daughter's room) I have a permanent changing table there with a diaper bag that holds a few diapering supplies for each child.
melskids 09:16 AM 09-07-2010
mine is in my bathroom, so i cant see the playroom from there. however, they all tend to follow me in the bathroom anyway. i actually have a small end table type table in there with some table toys, and a basket of books and a bench. so we now have parties in the potty...lol
SilverSabre25 09:30 AM 09-07-2010
Originally Posted by DCMom:
I have a commercial, wall-mounted KoalaKare changing table mounted behind the bathroom door. My dc bathroom is directly off the playroom, so I can leave the door open and hear/see everything going on. I love that thing!
I've thought of getting one of those! How did you get it, and how much was it?
DCMom 09:49 AM 09-07-2010
http://www.babychangingstations.com/

I ordered mine from here; I've had it about a year, it was $185 with free shipping. It honestly was the best money I have ever spent for daycare!
MommyMuffin 10:09 AM 09-07-2010
I used a tv stand that we bought at walmart a few years ago, it has 3 slots on the bottom shelf. My husband put it up on the wall and I put each childs diapers in the slots and all the lotions and wipes on the top shelf. I have a heavy duty changing table below and I put a mirror on the wall next it so the babies can entertain themselves while I change their diapers. I put this in the bedroom that I use for a playroom. But when I am in the living room which is most of the time I use the floor and I put a mat down. I just dont want to put a huge changing table in my living room. I can't wait for hubby to finish my basement for my daycare!!!
kendallina 10:43 AM 09-07-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
mine is in my bathroom, so i cant see the playroom from there. however, they all tend to follow me in the bathroom anyway. i actually have a small end table type table in there with some table toys, and a basket of books and a bench. so we now have parties in the potty...lol
Potty parties happen all the time here too!
Carole's Daycare 11:45 AM 09-07-2010
Mine changing table is in my bathroom- the advantage to a small house, I guess is that my bathroom is right off my living room/main play area- so as long as I leave the door open I can still see and hear everything. I am glad I added it- I used to use a changing pad on the floor- but the extra storage allows me to have bins with spare clothes, no more climbing up and down off the floor etc.- an easily sterilized surface so no fear of extra messes or little boys peeing on the couch or carpet.
AmandasFCC 12:17 PM 09-07-2010
My changing station is in my nap room, right off the play room. Previous owners of my house had put in a counter about the perfect height and size for a changing table so I just put on a changing pad and shelf high enough that 2-3 year olds can stand up on it without bonking their heads, and that's where I store the storage boxes that contain each child's extra clothes and diapers.
misol 12:52 PM 09-07-2010
My changing table/station is in my laundry room. We have to have running water where we change diapers and it can't be in the same area where food is prepared. So since my daycare bathroom is a 1/2 bath I just put it in the corner of the laundry room. I can hear everything and see most of the playroom while I am in there. I have potty breaks at the same time as I change diapers so the older ones are busy in the bathroom themselves while I am changing diapers.
Tags:bathroom, diaper changes, diaper changing station, main room, unattended
Reply Up