Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Need Hot Weather Ideas?
Josiegirl 04:08 AM 06-04-2015
I usually serve sandwiches once a week. What do you all make for lunches when the weather's hot and nobody's hungry, certainly they don't want anything hot?
Blackcat31 07:02 AM 06-04-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I usually serve sandwiches once a week. What do you all make for lunches when the weather's hot and nobody's hungry, certainly they don't want anything hot?
We do a lot of "Lunchable" type meals when it's hot.

Cut up meats/cheeses along with crackers or bagels also served with fresh veggies and dips and fresh fruits.

I also experiment with different types of sandwiches.

Serve them on tortillas, bagels, pita pockets, flat breads, croissants, sealed, English muffins, leafy lettuce, deli meat rolled up with cheese inside

LOTS of possibilities!
nothingwithoutjoy 07:18 AM 06-04-2015
Cold pasta salads.

I also do lots of snack-y type meals: cut up fruits and veggies, cheese, nuts, pickles. Fill a plate with those and the kids often tell me "it's the best lunch ever!"

We also do lots of plain yogurt with fruit.

And popsicles for snack almost every day. (Homemade from blended fruits and veggies.)
Josiegirl 02:46 AM 06-05-2015
Thanks!! I love those ideas! And kids would love their own lunchable type meals.
Do you have pasta salad ideas that kids would like? Many of mine love pasta but don't like it mixed with anything and they don't like mayo.
Blackcat31 05:35 AM 06-05-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Thanks!! I love those ideas! And kids would love their own lunchable type meals.
Do you have pasta salad ideas that kids would like? Many of mine love pasta but don't like it mixed with anything and they don't like mayo.
Favorite salad dressings here are raspberry vinaigrette, lemon poppy seed and Italian (both creamy and regular). Mayo isn't really a favorite here either.

When you do any type of lunchable meal or finger foods, try giving the kids toothpicks. I know.... right?! But seriously...

I buy the ones specifically for appetizers...they are a lot larger than regular toothpicks. They are also plastic so I wash and reuse them.

I swear just because they get to poke the foods, they eat ten times more. Even my pickiest eaters will eat if they are allowed to "spear" things.

NO ideas why....I'm just going with it because it's worked with every group I've had.
Reply Up