Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>royally screwed.
Unregistered 05:53 AM 10-08-2015
Hello.
I work for a daycare in Ohio. Previous to my employment there my son attended the center for 9 months and continues to do so only now while I am at work. I am making minimum wage.of $8.10 an hour with maybe 20 hours at the greatest. I have applied for title 20 (daycare assistance) but it has yet to be validated by the state. My issue is I'm paying more for my child to be there than I am making. I AM PAYING TO WORK AT MY JOB.

I put a notice in this past Tuesday about my last day being this coming Saturday. The premise of my quitting is her demanding that we pay for our own training that is required by the state even after I was forced to pay for my own background check. My issue is that the daycare wants a two week notice or a two week payment for leaving. I afraid she will withold my pay and I will not be able to get my son into another daycare to start a new job or even be able to provide for him. I really don't know what to do.
Thriftylady 06:12 AM 10-08-2015
If you signed a contract with a two week notice period you are bound by that contract. There are things you can do about the other things, such as call the wage and hour board and see if you have a case. You can also talk to her and see if she will let you out of the two week notice period.
Blackcat31 06:37 AM 10-08-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello.
I work for a daycare in Ohio. Previous to my employment there my son attended the center for 9 months and continues to do so only now while I am at work. I am making minimum wage.of $8.10 an hour with maybe 20 hours at the greatest. I have applied for title 20 (daycare assistance) but it has yet to be validated by the state. My issue is I'm paying more for my child to be there than I am making. I AM PAYING TO WORK AT MY JOB.

I put a notice in this past Tuesday about my last day being this coming Saturday. The premise of my quitting is her demanding that we pay for our own training that is required by the state even after I was forced to pay for my own background check. My issue is that the daycare wants a two week notice or a two week payment for leaving. I afraid she will withold my pay and I will not be able to get my son into another daycare to start a new job or even be able to provide for him. I really don't know what to do.
It would be illegal for her to with hold your paycheck.

Even if you owed a month's worth of services, she still cannot with hold your pay.

They are two separate issues and cannot be tied to one another.

First thing I would do is contact your state's licensing agency and inquire about rules for employees in child care. I am not sure if the center can charge it's employees for the required back ground checks and trainings or not but I would definitely check and find out.

As for the money you owe the center for the care of your child, that would depend on your contract with them. You may have to pay for the last two weeks regardless of the other issues if there is a signed contract stating that is normal protocol for withdrawing from care.

If your contract for services does require you to pay for two full weeks, I would try to be proactive and see if you can set up a payment plan and pay off what you owe in increments over a period of time that works for both you and the center.

The center cannot force you to make an arrangement and have money deducted from your pay check or threaten to with hold your pay check as like I said, it is two separate issues and I would make sure I contacted my state's Department of Labor and familiarize myself with the rules/regulations so that you have the information you need should it become a topic of conversation before you receive your pay check.
Reply Up