Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCP Who Is 4 Weeks In Now Says That Her 2yo Seems Sensitive To Gluten And Dairy
trix23 08:53 AM 06-16-2017
Nothing wrong with it. Just that she didn't pack nearly enough. Her kid eats 2nds and 3rd helpings here.
trix23 08:54 AM 06-16-2017
Nothing wrong with cues and hummus. Just the fact that her kid eats a lot and that wouldn't be nearly enough food for him as a snack. He usually eats seconds and thirds.
trix23 10:26 AM 06-16-2017
Nothing wrong with cukes and hummus. Just that her child eats a lot
LysesKids 05:26 PM 06-16-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
Nothing wrong with cukes and hummus. Just that her child eats a lot
The point though is it's a SNACK; you don't want to serve 2nd & 3rds if a meal will be fed in a few hrs. If they have a drink it should suffice. The point is to be hungry @ meal time.

I never feed as much snack as you do (I saw the menu), maybe that's why, but in order to keep food costs down I limit what kids get. I mean if you offer a PB & honey sandwich add milk & let it be done, they don't need a HB egg also - just my opinion.

I did greek yogurt with ice cold fresh fruit & WATER today - Food program acceptable & keeps my budget happy (and no I'm not on the program but I follow the guidelines with the exception of the non dairy milks/yogurt due to Soy Allergies)
trix23 08:53 PM 06-16-2017
I serve breakfast at 9am lunch at 12 and snack at 4. They are hungry at these times!
trix23 08:58 PM 06-16-2017
I don't serve milk as a drink because it is nutritionally unnecessary and I don't want to fill children up with milk. Then they don't eat real food. Milk is a filler.
LysesKids 09:08 PM 08-30-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Yes I agree it is all or nothing. You cannot budget and plan any other way.

The bold I 100% agree with.

I know my dd's pediatrician did not feel okay with doing the whole allergy testing until dd was around 7-years old. (I can't recall the actual age) When she was 2 months and bloody from eczema they noted her chart based on symptoms before and after an elimination diet which meant I had to eliminate diary..... since she was exclusively breast fed at the time. In my experience parents of true allergy kids will happily provide food for their child because the alternative impacts either their child's health life vs. death or their quality of life so much it's a burden. In the first preschool I was happy to provide dd's milk and the director there was okay with me just making substitutions for the days the menu conflicted BUT that 3-hours a day preschool only served snack so it was like 1-3 times per month.

I was not trying to sway the menu and I did try my best to match anything they offered so dd did not feel excluded --- now that she is older I don't have to be as sensitive but sometimes she still feels excluded. She couldn't sit by her BFF at lunch because BFF's mom packed PB&J each day this went on without me knowing until BFF's mom said her dd asked for sunflower butter so she could stay by my dd. The allergy table is a lonely place so parents of children with those allergies will happily bring food (and often even extra food to share). It's sad so many people will lie and say they have an allergy when they just don't like something it makes the road harder for those with real allergies.
OK , I know this is an over year old thread, but allergy testing starts by 24 months and sometimes sooner if it's younger sibling with older child known to have issues; been there, done it & had a few foster kids even have it done before age 2... waiting until 7 years old is CRAZY.

My parents knew by the time I was 2 that Peas could actually kill me and that was in the 60's. No offense but sometimes knowing the signs can trump waiting for a DR note because 2 of my children (adults now) would be dead if I had to go by the food rules daycares require now, but then so would I and I'm heading towards age 60.

Sometimes the parents actually do know before the DR will test and it is part of why I go out of my way to cater and offer substitutes the food program won't allow; I have severe food allergies, so I know what to look for. Of course I also charge more monthly to cover some of the cost
Tags:allergies - dairy, allergies - gluten, allergy policy, gluten free, special meals
1 2
Reply Up