Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Soon Before A Child's First Day Do You Require Payment & Docs?
trix23 11:30 AM 06-12-2017
I used to take it at drop-off but then I would want to read over everything and it got chaotic so I changed it to be the night before but that's becoming chaotic now too. How soon before the child's first day do you require paperwork and $?
kendallina 11:34 AM 06-12-2017
Could you request it by close of business the day before they start? And possibly have a place on your front porch to put it (I don't love interruptions when Im with the kiddos)...

My new families are always enrolling for an August start (Im preschool only). So they just have to bring it as soon as they know they want space (or they may lose the space).
Blackcat31 11:34 AM 06-12-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
I used to take it at drop-off but then I would want to read over everything and it got chaotic so I changed it to be the night before but that's becoming chaotic now too. How soon before the child's first day do you require paperwork and $?
When a child starts on Monday, the paperwork and first payment are due NO LATER than the Friday at PM before.

That allows me a chance to read over all the paperwork and get back the them with any issues before Monday.

I dont allow them to bring paperwork and payment the first day...as you said, that is too chaotic.
Ariana 11:46 AM 06-12-2017
I do things a bit differently. I have parents fill out paperwork and give payments at my house on the first day during transition. The parent is usually here for an hour the first day and I busy them with paperwork. There aren't any real surprises because most of the questions on my paperwork are covered during the interview and I fill a lot of it out myself beforehand.
trix23 12:01 PM 06-12-2017
"the Friday at PM before"?
LysesKids 12:22 PM 06-12-2017
I require ALL the paperwork back no later than 48 hrs before start date (and I mean filled in completely); I don't have to worry about $$ first day because I already got it & the signed contract the date they enrolled... the rest of paperwork I need before hand because TN requires a copy of pediatrician clearance for any child under 30 months & if they aren't a newborn, I need a copy of the shot records too. If the Dr's paperwork isn't there the child can't start until I get it. All my babes are under 24 months & it states in the policies that it's required BEFORE a child attends.
Blackcat31 12:37 PM 06-12-2017
"the Friday at PM before"?
Oops! Sorry....

"the Friday at 5PM before"

All parents pay me NO LATER than 5PM the Friday before the upcoming week so when new parents drop off paperwork and payment it sets the stage for them to be in the habit of paying on Fridays.
CityGarden 01:26 PM 06-12-2017
I like all paperwork and payment by close of business the Friday prior to them starting. I will however accept it by close of business the day prior if they are starting mid-week or something.
Jupadia 02:13 PM 06-12-2017
I uselly get my contract and deposit at the same time. The spot is theirs as soon as the deposit is dropped off. I uselly fill spots before kids start so it can be weeks or months before start date. For start date I do have parents let me know naps, bottle, eating habits then.
hwichlaz 02:41 PM 06-12-2017
Contract and money holds the spot, and they need to come 15 min early with completed paperwork in hand so I can check it for missing info.
Unregistered 04:47 PM 06-12-2017
I require all paperwork 2 weeks before the start date. This allows me time to go over the immunization and health records and if any shots are missing the parents have time to schedule a doctor's appointment. My license worker is very strict about paperwork.
AmyKidsCo 08:44 PM 06-12-2017
Enrollment fee and first week's payment when they enroll. The spot is open until I get the paperwork and those fees. After that paperwork needs to be turned in at least 24 hours beforehand, but I have taken a random form or two at drop-off.
trix23 04:03 AM 06-13-2017
So what happens if you have 2 people wanting a spot? They both pay tuition and Enrollment Fee and whoever gets the docs to you first gets the spot? Or do you only offer it to 1 at a time?
spinnymarie 01:09 PM 06-13-2017
We interview for spots and then offer them to families we like one at a time until we are full. They have a time limit to get back to us on accepting a position. We then schedule an enrollment meeting as soon as all spots are full, at which time paperwork, forms and the enrollment fee is due. First month's payment and medical forms due upon arrival the first day. We have a one-month term period so we usually know well in advance of a spot.
daycare 02:16 PM 06-13-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When a child starts on Monday, the paperwork and first payment are due NO LATER than the Friday at PM before.

That allows me a chance to read over all the paperwork and get back the them with any issues before Monday.

I dont allow them to bring paperwork and payment the first day...as you said, that is too chaotic.
Same here. I require all families to meet with me for an enrollment meeting where I go over the contract and talk about my expectations of their responsibilities. I only book these appointments monday through thursday and require all parties involved to attend. They must do it the week before and are required to make their first payment during that enrollment meeting.

I won't start anyone without money or papers....
hwichlaz 05:47 PM 06-13-2017
So what happens if you have 2 people wanting a spot? They both pay tuition and Enrollment Fee and whoever gets the docs to you first gets the spot? Or do you only offer it to 1 at a time?
accepting tuition from two people for one spot would be dishonest. the first one to pay, has the spot. I offer it to the person I like best, and tell them when everything is due. I usually give them until the nearest monday. If they don't follow through, I go to the next person on the list.
trix23 05:54 PM 06-13-2017
I'm just new to this and aren't sure how to go about it. I fed agree that taking 2 people's $ is dishonest.
trix23 07:40 PM 06-14-2017
I definitely agree***
Tags:first day
Reply Up