Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Scheduling Nightmare
lovemykidstoo 05:35 PM 06-21-2017
My brain is going to explode. I'm working on the Fall schedule because I've had some things changing. Here's my deal.

1-my full time 3 yr old is going to preschool full-time starting in the fall.
2-my fluctuating scheduled 2 year old's mom is possibly quitting her job. It was 100% that she was and now dad is having medical issue and depending on results this week, she may not quit.
3- I have an 17 month old that mom had a baby and is bringing him too, just doesn't know when.

Enter 3 new possible families.
1- is a 7 month old that came last week for interview. Wants 2 days a week (Tuesday and Thursday) starting in Fall. Sent her home with contract with spot for deposit fee. She's checking with current daycare that is shutting down to get exact date of closure to put on the form to mail in deposit.

2- a referral for a 3 to 4 day a week 2 year old. Interviewing on Friday. It's a teacher, so probably wants summers off.

3- a referral for full time baby starting first of November.

Don't have room for all, but pretty much committed to #1, which bugs me because I'd rather have full time baby over 2 day a week.

HELP!
trix23 08:24 PM 06-21-2017
Prospective #1- charge them your 3 day PT rate or tell them that they can have PT rate until X date and then pay FT rate for baby on X date. I know some providers charge FT For babies regardless of if they actually come PT or FT. Or offer a temporary position that is done on X date.

#2- charge full time rate year-round OR only charge for 9 months but at the 12 month price (for me, full time is $160/week and so that would amount to '235/week if only paying 9 months)

#3- referrals will likely be your best clients. I would offer the spot with 1/2 rate holding fees assessed if serious about the spot and give 3 weeks of free holding fees. Or can contact back 4-6 weeks before care is needed.
lovemykidstoo 04:36 AM 06-22-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
Prospective #1- charge them your 3 day PT rate or tell them that they can have PT rate until X date and then pay FT rate for baby on X date. I know some providers charge FT For babies regardless of if they actually come PT or FT. Or offer a temporary position that is done on X date.

#2- charge full time rate year-round OR only charge for 9 months but at the 12 month price (for me, full time is $160/week and so that would amount to '235/week if only paying 9 months)

#3- referrals will likely be your best clients. I would offer the spot with 1/2 rate holding fees assessed if serious about the spot and give 3 weeks of free holding fees. Or can contact back 4-6 weeks before care is needed.
I'm going to look over your suggestions in more detail, but I should have added all 3 were referrals from previous clients. Thank you for the suggestions. When I have my coffee and my brain is back I'm going to take a look in detail. lol
Blackcat31 06:23 AM 06-22-2017
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
My brain is going to explode. I'm working on the Fall schedule because I've had some things changing. Here's my deal.

1-my full time 3 yr old is going to preschool full-time starting in the fall.
2-my fluctuating scheduled 2 year old's mom is possibly quitting her job. It was 100% that she was and now dad is having medical issue and depending on results this week, she may not quit.
3- I have an 17 month old that mom had a baby and is bringing him too, just doesn't know when.

Enter 3 new possible families.
1- is a 7 month old that came last week for interview. Wants 2 days a week (Tuesday and Thursday) starting in Fall. Sent her home with contract with spot for deposit fee. She's checking with current daycare that is shutting down to get exact date of closure to put on the form to mail in deposit.

2- a referral for a 3 to 4 day a week 2 year old. Interviewing on Friday. It's a teacher, so probably wants summers off.

3- a referral for full time baby starting first of November.

Don't have room for all, but pretty much committed to #1, which bugs me because I'd rather have full time baby over 2 day a week.

HELP!
How many spaces are you needing to fill?

I'd go with whomever fits best and attends or pays full time.

Technically you aren't obligated to anyone. It's your business and as a business the families or situations that net the most income are who I would choose.

My obligation is to MY family and MY budget.
lovemykidstoo 07:01 AM 06-22-2017
Part of my problem is my one family has 1 girl that comes here 2 days a week and baby brother is supposed to come too, but mom says, "he's going to come, I just don't know when". Well, I'm talking to her today and a decision has to be made. As it stands if I take the new full time baby then Friday I wouldn't have available for her youngest until Feb and Thursday I wouldn't have room at all. So depending on that, I may have a full time baby spot and I have a 2 other part time spots open, but the problem is, everyone wants Thursdays and Fridays. I have 3 openings on Monday and Tuesday and 2 openings on Wednesdays. Thursdays possibly only 1 opening and Friday 1 also in the under 30 month category. I see why some only do full time people.

another issue is the one that wants 3 to 4 days a week for an 18 month old is a teacher and I do not want to give away summers.
trix23 07:23 AM 06-22-2017
Then don't give away summers! For teachers (who get paid 12 months a year) I :
-charge an adjusted rate ($235/week For 9 months) or
-they pay $160/week year round or
-they can temporarily withdraw in the summer but I don't hold a spot for free (I charge 1/2 tuition for holding a spot but not sure if I'd do that over the summer for a client returning in the fall)

It's ultimately your decision who you take. You can also notify parents of part timers that you'll be charging a 2-3 day part time flat rate and a 4-5 day full time rate. (Ex: $140 For PT and $180 For FT). That way even with a part timer, you're not losing tons of $.

For the one wanting 3-4 days, notify of your new tuition schedule. If she wants flexible days each week, have her pay midway between the PT and FT rate.
trix23 07:28 AM 06-22-2017
As for wishy washy mom, write a letter or email that states that she needs to make a decision by X date or the spot will be opened up. Require the first week's tuition and any other start-up fees you charge so you know she's serious. Include in the letter that these amounts are non-refundable if her child doesn't begin on that date.
lovemykidstoo 07:32 AM 06-22-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
Then don't give away summers! For teachers (who get paid 12 months a year) I :
-charge an adjusted rate ($235/week For 9 months) or
-they pay $160/week year round or
-they can temporarily withdraw in the summer but I don't hold a spot for free (I charge 1/2 tuition for holding a spot but not sure if I'd do that over the summer for a client returning in the fall)

It's ultimately your decision who you take. You can also notify parents of part timers that you'll be charging a 2-3 day part time flat rate and a 4-5 day full time rate. (Ex: $140 For PT and $180 For FT). That way even with a part timer, you're not losing tons of $.

For the one wanting 3-4 days, notify of your new tuition schedule. If she wants flexible days each week, have her pay midway between the PT and FT rate.
This is somewhat what I've done before with teachers is if they come 4 days through the year, I've done a mandated minimum 2 days in the summer. I explain it keeps their spot and it keeps the child on somewhat a schedule with me and a familiarity also. I don't want to have an 18 month old gone for 2 months and then to start all over on behavior things in the fall. Typically I do get school agers back in the summer so hopefully I would next year too. Right now I have 2 school agers back.
lovemykidstoo 07:36 AM 06-22-2017
What would you guys do for the possible full time infant person that wants to start November 1? She's due in August. My full time rate is $175 a week. I doubt she's going to pay $90 a week until then to hold the spot.
Jupadia 07:50 AM 06-22-2017
What I have done is just charge last and first week as a deposit (non refundable) with a signed contract (and any other paperwork) .
I signed in may they start in August when mom goes back to work. They have 2 kids starting 3 years and will be 12 months. I only have 3 spots so it was hard to hold spots for that long. But I had reasons for it while the baby spot did not open till June 26 I did have the option just to have a kid over 2. So I could have kept looking for kids over 2. But kids over 2 are hard to find for my area so I knew I could look for months and most likly not fill 2 spots before September at the earliest. I could have found baby for next week , but this way I filled both spots at same time. I was also able to keep 1 of the 2 year olds who was leaving one day per week till new family starts in August.

For you it will depend on how fast can you fill that spot. If you could fill it up right away then I say charge at whatever rate works for you whether it's full rate or part rate. If you do have her take spot and not pay. I would still get deposit and paperwork now and not wait till then.
Reply Up