Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>PVC projects
Josiegirl 09:48 AM 05-25-2015
I've obviously been spending WAY too much time on pinterest lately. I didn't realize there were so many ideas out there. I want to make some kind of telephone system in my backyard, the kids discovered how cool it is to talk to each other. At the moment, I only have enough pipes/connectors to stretch it across the picnic table and then a bit more so they play with it that way. But it's constantly falling apart. I know they have a cement you can get but I'm thinking I don't want to make it permanent. I'm going to pick up more pieces and attach it somehow to my fence, make it a lot longer and maybe add pieces where others can use it too, not just 2 people.
Any ideas on how to construct this, attach to a wooden fence, etc.? I have to admit I'm not too handy but I think the kids would have great fun with it.
Thanks for any help you can offer! Compared to some of the projects I've seen, this one should be simple.
spedmommy4 10:03 AM 05-25-2015
Can you post a picture or link of what you are trying to do?
childcaremom 10:06 AM 05-25-2015
Do you have a link to the Pin?

I have seen pics where it is attached to a fence (if it's what I am thinking of) and then I imagine it wouldn't be able to come apart.

Off the top of my head, though, is it falling apart b/c they are using it/pulling it? You may need to figure out a way to attach them.

Or maybe if you had an area where the pieces were stored and you could challenge them to construct it themselves?
Josiegirl 10:39 AM 05-25-2015
No link. I'm trying to figure out how to make it myself. I searched for using PVC to make telephones but nothing came up that was helpful. I'll keep looking but getting sidetracked on pinterest is hard to avoid.

And because it's simply sitting atop the table right now, it does get twisted around so yeh, it comes apart pretty easily. But it still doesn't appear to be a sturdy fit. If I put it on the fence, I'm thinking I could either drill holes into the fencing and secure with long plastic ties. Or I could drill holes into the piping itself and screw it onto the fence. But I'm not sure I want to do it that way although that would be the way to make it last better.

I don't know. Like I said I'm not handy.
childcaremom 10:45 AM 05-25-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
No link. I'm trying to figure out how to make it myself. I searched for using PVC to make telephones but nothing came up that was helpful. I'll keep looking but getting sidetracked on pinterest is hard to avoid.

And because it's simply sitting atop the table right now, it does get twisted around so yeh, it comes apart pretty easily. But it still doesn't appear to be a sturdy fit. If I put it on the fence, I'm thinking I could either drill holes into the fencing and secure with long plastic ties. Or I could drill holes into the piping itself and screw it onto the fence. But I'm not sure I want to do it that way although that would be the way to make it last better.

I don't know. Like I said I'm not handy.
Well if you come across a pic I will show it to my dh. He is a carpenter and has a lot of experience tinkering and tweaking my projects He may have some suggestions. I'll ask him when he is home.

In the meantime, if you drilled holes in the piping itself, and aligned them, maybe you could fasten it then with plastic ties. You could then cut the ties to take the pieces apart to reuse for other projects down the road.
spedmommy4 11:56 AM 05-25-2015
My son is making me this:

Chad's kitchen counter toy to distract while cooking. Made of PVC piping and table tennis balls. - http://pinterest.com/pin/39842789826...3/?s=3&m=email

You bolt the pvc down on a board. I suppose if you did something like this on a flat board, it would work like telephone. Alternatively, if you have a playground (even a small one) maybe attach long flexible tubing. Sound would travel through the tube. I bet the kids would love it.
Josiegirl 03:22 PM 05-25-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
My son is making me this:

Chad's kitchen counter toy to distract while cooking. Made of PVC piping and table tennis balls. - http://pinterest.com/pin/39842789826...3/?s=3&m=email

You bolt the pvc down on a board. I suppose if you did something like this on a flat board, it would work like telephone. Alternatively, if you have a playground (even a small one) maybe attach long flexible tubing. Sound would travel through the tube. I bet the kids would love it.
Ooh I like that!

As far as the phone idea, I'm wondering if I could even plant it under the ground? Dig a trench, cover it up, maybe even make it so there are 4 separate speaking places? If I did that then I'd definitely cement some of it together. And I could put a screen over each mouthpiece so they couldn't throw all the rocks and toys in there. Just thinking aloud here.

Tubing would work too, hadn't thought about that. Hmmm, maybe I'll have to make a trip to HD this weekend and bring my dd along. She's creative and has an artsy mind, maybe we can figure something out.

There is so much that can be done with these pipes and connectors. I saw playhouses and forts but I'd guess those would have to be cemented together? They wouldn't seem indestructible enough, to me?
Josiegirl 03:24 PM 05-25-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:

In the meantime, if you drilled holes in the piping itself, and aligned them, maybe you could fasten it then with plastic ties. You could then cut the ties to take the pieces apart to reuse for other projects down the road.
Oh that would work so they wouldn't move around too much and disconnect. Thanks!!

This is why I love this place!!
NoMoreJuice! 08:21 PM 05-25-2015
If you are looking to permanently attach pvc pieces together, just use pvc glue. It can be found in the plumbing section of any hardware store.
Blackcat31 12:33 PM 05-26-2015
Here are a ton of fun ideas for PVC projects...

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/10-t...with-pv-149640

http://welovebeingmoms.blogspot.com/...kids-with.html

http://www.tipjunkie.com/post/pvc-pipe-crafts/
Reply Up