Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Unlicensed in Arizona
Unregistered 02:40 PM 06-20-2008
I know a lady from my church who watches children in her home. I belive right now she has 5 full-time children, and sometimes has additional before/after school kids. I believe she has too many kids with out having a license. She also has 5 children of her own, ages 8months, twin 4 year olds, 6 years and 8 years. I know some states one's own chldren must be counted in the total amount of children that a provider can watch. Any info. would be appreciated. I don't really want to get this lady in trouble. I'm just concern about the safety of the children and want to talk to her just in case she doesn't know all the regualtions.
mac60 06:49 AM 06-22-2008
Why do you think it is your business? It she is not bothering you, it is not your concern. Maybe you would not be able to care for 5 children, but that doesn't mean she is not capable of it. I know many providers who care for more children than 5 and do a wonderful job at it. I personally think it isn't your business, especially if you have never seen her do anything wrong. The parents who go there obviously know how many children are in her care, it is there business not yours.

Why is it these days everyone feels they need to be in everyone else's business. People need to learn to butt out.
Unregistered 12:54 PM 06-22-2008
I just found out that on Mon & Tue. she will be working over night at a group home. She's worked there for a few years, but was doing it on the weekends. She decided to give up the weekends and work overnight on Mon. and tue. Her hubby is home when the children arrive. I think this is unsafe. Not about the hubby, but that she's up for like 3 days. She says she told the parents and everyone was fine with this. Would anyone else be fine with this?
Unregistered 02:21 PM 06-24-2008
Rules and regulations are put in place to protect people. If someone is breaking these, they should be told about it. Anyway, she has 10 children in her care, 5 that she's being paid for and 5 of her own. That's quite a few. I did ask her about it at Church. she said she's under the limit. However, I know she's just in it for the money. She only took 1 day off when she came home with her baby 8 months ago. She says she can't afford to take off. She said she needs to make at least $150/day to cover their expenses. It's people like this who make it bad for all of the honest people. For those who get upset about people needing to butt out, maybe they have something to hide too. Just my opinion.
mac60 12:15 AM 06-25-2008
There again, why do you think it is your business what this woman does. I don't mean to be rude or disrespectful here, but as long as she is communicating with the parents....which is sounds like she is, the parents are aware of her situation with her other job. Is simply isn't your business unless you see her abusing a child.

And by the way, I have had 2 family members that worked in group homes for the overnight shift.....and they were paid a lesser wage per hour because they were allowed to sleep. I have a daycare, and I work a pt 2nd shift job.....works fine for me, and it is nobody else's business, including my parents, what I do in my off time. My having a second job has no impact on my first job.

I personally think you need to find something to do and quit watching/worrying and putting your nose in your neighbors business. It plain and simply isn't your business, no matter how much you think it "should" be.
mac60 01:52 PM 06-25-2008
Don't accuse people of things when you know nothing about them. I have nothing to hide. I just don't care for people who like to make other people's business theirs. Maybe you can't handle that load, doesn't mean someone else can't. Another assumption.....that she is in it for the money. Did she tell you that herself? If you think it is such an easy job, do it for 6 months. And so what if she makes good money at operating a daycare.....isn't that the idea of a job....to enjoy what you do and make money at it.

As far as only taking a day off when she came home from having her baby, honestly, how do you know that, did you ask her that too, or did you sit and watch her, or did you just "assume" that. Glad you are not my neighbor, I would be telling you to mind your own business.

Honestly, why do you feel it is so important to keep tabs on your neighbor and watch her. Let alone feel you have the right to mendle in her personal affairs and ask her personal questions. It is people like you who cause problems for us, in the end, if everyone minded their own business, it would be a better world. Obviously the parents of the dc children are fine with her caring for their children. Do this woman a favor,,,,,and butt out of her life.
Don't mean to show any disrespect here, but to have someone post things as though they are "stalking" someone, is a little unsettling.
pingaa3 09:44 PM 06-26-2008
If you are so concerned about the safety of the children, why don't you volunteer to help her out for free one day a week?! Or perhaps offer to watch her children overnight so she and her husband can get away and get some rest for a change?

I don't understand the judgement versus volunteer helping hand attitude from someone proclaiming to be a sister in the church.

P.S. Why else would she be doing daycare unless she needed money, its a job!
mac60 02:49 AM 06-27-2008
Originally Posted by pingaa3:
If you are so concerned about the safety of the children, why don't you volunteer to help her out for free one day a week?! Or perhaps offer to watch her children overnight so she and her husband can get away and get some rest for a change?

I don't understand the judgement versus volunteer helping hand attitude from someone proclaiming to be a sister in the church.

P.S. Why else would she be doing daycare unless she needed money, its a job!
Thank you for this, it was very well said. I honestly think some people believe we sit on our butts all day and do nothing. They fail to realize what we do for 10 plus hours per day, for no benefits, no paid time off, etc. Many forget that even though we may be paid $400 per week, we have to buy groceries, supplies, pay extra in utilities, our own taxes, etc. It is not an easy job by any means. We have good days and we have bad days just like at any other job. There is so much more to being a good provider than just being a "babysitter", which I am not! I am a caring dc provider who offers nutritional meals, hugs, love, a preschool curriculum, a safe place for your child while you are at work, etc.

I think your idea of volunteering for 1 day a week is a great idea. It is a JOB that the majority of women can not handle.
Unregistered 07:12 PM 01-22-2009
Ok first off it is up to you to do something about it because if something happens to the children then you can be held responiable for it. Pluse I know that in Airzona their is this company called family conncet that will help you get licensed for home child care. If it was me I would call some one because we have to protect the children
Unregistered 02:41 PM 01-25-2009
Ok first off it is up to you to do something about it because if something happens to the children then you can be held responiable for it. Pluse I know that in Airzona their is this company called family conncet that will help you get licensed for home child care. If it was me I would call some one because we have to protect the children

I agree. We have to protect the kids. To everyone who disagrees, then I don't believe you really have the children's safety in mind. Sure, everyone wants/needs money but at what expense? The safety of children? IF she really enjoys watching children, why DON'T she just get licensed? What's the big deal? Unless she's not claiming the income. But that's another issue for everyone to argue over. I did check the regulations for AZ and to watch more than 4 children (including your own) you need to be licensed.
Unregistered 06:24 AM 01-26-2009
Yes, the teacher to child ratio in AZ is 1 to 5 but that does NOT include her children. Being unlicensed does not mean your breaking the law! One thing i would suggest is that before you start getting the law involved, that you make sure you understand the daycare laws and regulations. You can really open yourself to sued by making false alligations. One other thing........It is none of your business how much she makes in income. Why don't you worry about the things in your life and not someone elses life.
Unregistered 08:56 AM 02-02-2011
I just took my daughter out of a situation, where the lady was non licensed.

Some people can handle more kids better than others, this is true.

However the laws are put in place to protect us. Sadly, my now former sitter, didn't have a license. She still doesn't. She is watching about 15 kids a day, plus older kids when they are on intersession.

I don't know what goes on durning the day, but the alarms should have gone off, when my daughter was born, and the woman took 4 babies at the same time, plus she had older kids. I would see the bigger kids in time out all of the time, and just thought they were always into trouble.

Then it was my turn. At 1 1/2, my daughter crawled into a exersaucer, and the sitter made her stay there all day. I was mad and told her about it. Then she would break toys, and get put outside for time out. She would spend some days, outside for time out ALL DAY. My 3 year old got to where she actually enjoyed time out. Due to the emotional neglect, she would purposefully go to time out to avoid the care giver, or to avoid being picked on. She was the last kid standing when a fight errupted, and always took the brunt of it.

When this sitter had about 7 to 10 kids, they got more one on one attention. I agree though, it is hard to truley meet the emotional needs of kids as the numbers climb.
jen 11:00 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

However the laws are put in place to protect us. Sadly, my now former sitter, didn't have a license. She still doesn't. She is watching about 15 kids a day, plus older kids when they are on intersession.

I don't know what goes on durning the day, but the alarms should have gone off, when my daughter was born, and the woman took 4 babies at the same time, plus she had older kids. I would see the bigger kids in time out all of the time, and just thought they were always into trouble.

Then it was my turn. At 1 1/2, my daughter crawled into a exersaucer, and the sitter made her stay there all day. I was mad and told her about it. Then she would break toys, and get put outside for time out. She would spend some days, outside for time out ALL DAY. My 3 year old got to where she actually enjoyed time out. Due to the emotional neglect, she would purposefully go to time out to avoid the care giver, or to avoid being picked on. She was the last kid standing when a fight errupted, and always took the brunt of it.

When this sitter had about 7 to 10 kids, they got more one on one attention. I agree though, it is hard to truley meet the emotional needs of kids as the numbers climb.
I am really and truly hoping that this is some kind of joke. Seriously.
Little People 11:06 AM 02-02-2011

Why did you leave your child there so long?? And why would you leave your child somewhere where there was 15 children? And you said your daughter crawled into a exersaucer, and the sitter made her stay there all day and your where mad and told her about it AND YOU TOOK HER BACK?? WHY?? and WHY???
jen 08:37 AM 02-03-2011

The original was old...but this piece of work is new...
Unregistered 07:37 AM 06-09-2020
**Mind your own business!!! You claim to be a Christian attending church, but you sure are judgmental!! I didn't realize God was hiring out his job. Offer to help rather than bitch about it!!
I watch 7-9 kids unlicensed in Arizona, with the help of my mother, but not everyday, and I have 2 children of my own. I looked into licensing and licensing did NOTHING to change the way I care for the children or run my home daycare, all my parents know I am not licensed and it doesn't bother them one bit. I run my in home daycare as if I were licensed keeping up on all trainings currently offered. Only benefit I got from licensed was reimbursement for food and thats it. If I didn't have my mothers help I could have NO More than 5 children and at $30 a day that doesn't pay my bills. So before you take God's job of judegment, offer to help!!!
I think someone is jealous of her neighbor being such a stellar mom to not only hold her own family together, but also care for other children, plus have a heart to go work a few overnights for the elderly. Sounds to me like God has gifted this lady you complain about with some serious strength and ability to juggle much. Maybe something you lack and are jealous of so you all complain about her and think shes endangering the children.
Valerie928 07:48 AM 06-09-2020
**Mind your own business!!! You claim to be a Christian attending church, but you sure are judgmental!! I didn't realize God was hiring out his job. Offer to help rather than bitch about it!!
I watch 7-9 kids unlicensed in Arizona, with the help of my mother, but not everyday, and I have 2 children of my own. I looked into licensing and licensing did NOTHING to change the way I care for the children or run my home daycare, all my parents know I am not licensed and it doesn't bother them one bit. I run my in home daycare as if I were licensed keeping up on all trainings currently offered. Only benefit I got from licensed was reimbursement for food and thats it. If I didn't have my mothers help I could have NO More than 5 children and at $30 a day that doesn't pay my bills. So before you take God's job of judegment, offer to help!!!
I think someone is jealous of her neighbor being such a stellar mom to not only hold her own family together, but also care for other children, plus have a heart to go work a few overnights for the elderly. Sounds to me like God has gifted this lady you complain about with some serious strength and ability to juggle much. Maybe something you lack and are jealous of so you all complain about her and think shes endangering the children.
I know that being in quarantine is boring but you need to seriously find something else to do. Coming on to a forum unregistered to reply to things that were done over a decade ago is really bizarre.
Cat Herder 07:56 AM 06-09-2020
You are responding to a post from 2008. There is a difference in illegal providers and legally unlicensed providers.

If you are operating illegally, someone will turn you in. We are legally required as mandated reporters. It isn't personal like you seem to be making it. If you are operating legally then you should have no problem.
Blackcat31 08:18 AM 06-09-2020
I love how you use God to judge someone for judging someone else.... The irony is just too much!

The ways in which posters justify breaking the law is hysterical.

I pray to God a child is never injured in your care IF you are operating illegally.
Those parents that don't care...will care then. And that's a fact not a judgement.
Tags:arizona, illegal daycare, illegal providers, illegally unlicensed, legally exempt, legally unlicensed, mandated reporter, reporting - daycare, unlicensed daycare
Reply Up