Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Afraid of Cats
SilverSabre25 05:10 AM 09-17-2013
My new daycare girls are all afraid of cats.

I have 4.

Advice on dealing with the fear...I'm catering a little bit to it right now and trying to put the cats outside, but it's chilly and they don't want to be outside.
MotherNature 05:24 AM 09-17-2013
No advice, but it's weird that ALL of them are..
countrymom 05:50 AM 09-17-2013
thats weird, all mine love my cat way too much lol!
Scout 05:51 AM 09-17-2013
maybe show them funny youtube videos of cats playing?? My DH's aunt is so afraid that she once broke someone's door trying to get out!
MyAngels 05:54 AM 09-17-2013
Is this a new fear for them, or just something that started when they began care with you? I used to have two dogs and every now and again I would start a child who was not too fond of them. I would just limit exposure to the dogs at first, gradually increasing as the kids got used to both our routines and the dogs.
SilverSabre25 06:24 AM 09-17-2013
Today is their first day with me. Sisters, one 4.5 and twin 2.5 year olds. They've been afraid of cats since the first time they interviewed almost 9 months ago.
sly red cid 06:33 AM 09-17-2013
Maybe like all say on here about dogs they should be separated from daycare kids to prevent any liability issues. I learned from here to keep our very well behaved dog behind a gate and crated when kids are here. The kids were the problem NOT the dog....they would not leave her alone and still try to provoke her by being close to the gate even though her crate is far enough away from the gate they can't reach the dog, they still throw things and otherwise annoy the poor animal.
SilverSabre25 06:46 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by sly red cid:
Maybe like all say on here about dogs they should be separated from daycare kids to prevent any liability issues. I learned from here to keep our very well behaved dog behind a gate and crated when kids are here. The kids were the problem NOT the dog....they would not leave her alone and still try to provoke her by being close to the gate even though her crate is far enough away from the gate they can't reach the dog, they still throw things and otherwise annoy the poor animal.
Heh, yeah....confining my cats is not something that works. Hence why they aren't? You can't crate a cat
Willow 06:54 AM 09-17-2013
My cats stay in the lower level of our house during the day. They are gated off from the upstairs and respect the boundary. All I had to do was clap when they'd hop over the first day. Now they stay on the other side until the gate comes down at the end of the day are day.

That said, I wouldn't cater to or coddle their fear. They're getting attention for it and will likely continue with that sort of reward and validation. I'd tell them to settle down, remind them they're fine, and redirect. Rinse and repeat ignoring all dramatics until their response washes out. Once they see the cats aren't going to hurt them and they're not going to get any attention for the dramatics they'll learn to largely ignore them, if not completely.
sly red cid 06:57 AM 09-17-2013
Hope you have good insurance....one swipe of a clawed paw....
Meyou 07:01 AM 09-17-2013
Silver, I've had a couple of kids afraid of my cat and I normally just treat it like it's a silly thing. I say things like....kitty is part of my family...OF COURSE she is in my house, it's her house too. Please don't cry at my kitty...that scares her....etc etc.
SilverSabre25 07:12 AM 09-17-2013
Wow. That's really judgmental.
SilverSabre25 07:15 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
My cats stay in the lower level of our house during the day. They are gated off from the upstairs and respect the boundary. All I had to do was clap when they'd hop over the first day. Now they stay on the other side until the gate comes down at the end of the day are day.

That said, I wouldn't cater to or coddle their fear. They're getting attention for it and will likely continue with that sort of reward and validation. I'd tell them to settle down, remind them they're fine, and redirect. Rinse and repeat ignoring all dramatics until their response washes out. Once they see the cats aren't going to hurt them and they're not going to get any attention for the dramatics they'll learn to largely ignore them, if not completely.
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Silver, I've had a couple of kids afraid of my cat and I normally just treat it like it's a silly thing. I say things like....kitty is part of my family...OF COURSE she is in my house, it's her house too. Please don't cry at my kitty...that scares her....etc etc.
Originally Posted by Scout:
maybe show them funny youtube videos of cats playing?? My DH's aunt is so afraid that she once broke someone's door trying to get out!
Thank you! These are all helpful suggestions. Pretty much what I've been doing so I'm glad my instincts were right. One of the twins is already warming up to the kitties and has been willing to pet him when he's nearby. I *think* the fear originated with the 4 year old sister and has trickled down to the twins. That's my impression anyway. They seem to think the cats are going to chase them.
Willow 07:29 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I don't like the way it was worded to you but they're kind of right.

Cat scratches are well known to have phenomenally high (and potentially serious) infection rates. Not sure why but but our vet and doctors have warned us many many times. Even in play......it's why I keep mine separate when at all possible.

Plus, although they're big as far as cats go, all it would take is one toddler stumbling and falling on them to break a leg. It's not often injuries like that can heal normally, if at all. If you're as bonkers about your cats as I am about mine you can understand why to me anyway it's so important to avoid that potential for injury, to everyone!
Country Kids 07:49 AM 09-17-2013
Cat Scratch Fever is a real thing. My aunts cat scratched her and she received a horrible infection from it. Lots of antibiotics and medical expense.

Her cat is very friendly also and they were just playing and swipe she got her with her claw. I would keep the pets seperated just so there is not question of an issue arising.
SilverSabre25 08:01 AM 09-17-2013
I know cat scratches can be dangerous. the cats stay away from the kids, but that doesn't mean they are out of sight. My own toddler loooooooves the cats and has actually never gotten scratched. Three of them were raised with kids (other than mine) and have never scratched...and the fourth is declawed.

The fear is coming solely from seeing them. My cats are well used to my toddler and know to get the heck out of dodge when a child comes calling. They are visible though.

If I thought it was a danger I wouldn't allow them to live here, period. But I can't lock them up in a small room all day, that wouldn't be fair, kwim?
SilverSabre25 08:03 AM 09-17-2013
I know cat scratches can be dangerous. the cats stay away from the kids, but that doesn't mean they are out of sight. My own toddler loooooooves the cats and has actually never gotten scratched. Three of them were raised with kids (other than mine) and have never scratched...and the fourth is declawed.

The fear is coming solely from seeing them. My cats are well used to my toddler and know to get the heck out of dodge when a child comes calling. They are visible though.

If I thought it was a danger I wouldn't allow them to live here, period. But I can't lock them up in a small room all day, that wouldn't be fair, kwim?
actually...two are declawed...i can't believe i forgot that, lol
Willow 08:10 AM 09-17-2013

I'm not sure about the set up of your house but mine have my entire basement, which is the size of my entire upstairs. Upstairs there is 5-7 children on any given day, me, toys and equipment along with grabby hand toddlers. Although they love people, including children with grabby hands, they typically prefer the sprawling lower floor that is fully stocked with their toys, posts, hideouts, towers, food and peace.

No reason for them to be stuck in a crate or room while still maintaining that boundary to keep everyone safe
Willow 08:13 AM 09-17-2013
actually...two are declawed...i can't believe i forgot that, lol
Declawed cats are far more prone to biting aggression though....I have two, one clawed and one not (not by my choice) that don't follow that mold but statistically speaking......
Scout 08:16 AM 09-17-2013
Yea, this kinda came of to me as "you don't want to listen to my advice so, here you go!" to me...I am sure this is not how it was intended!
SilverSabre25 08:25 AM 09-17-2013
I'm not sure about the set up of your house but mine have my entire basement, which is the size of my entire upstairs. Upstairs there is 5-7 children on any given day, me, toys and equipment along with grabby hand toddlers. Although they love people, including children with grabby hands, they typically prefer the sprawling lower floor that is fully stocked with their toys, posts, hideouts, towers, food and peace.

No reason for them to be stuck in a crate or room while still maintaining that boundary to keep everyone safe
Mine doesn't work that way. I have two levels and the only area that's not used for daycare is the three bedrooms and one bathroom. There's no way to block them over there except to shut them into one room. Granted, they usually spend much of their time back there or outside...but it's voluntary. They eat in the kitchen and have litter boxes on the lower level as well as the upper level. They have food and water and litter boxes in various places all over the house. I have to for the happiness and territorialness of some of them.
SilverSabre25 08:28 AM 09-17-2013
Declawed cats are far more prone to biting aggression though....I have two, one clawed and one not (not by my choice) that don't follow that mold but statistically speaking......
One of the declawed ones (not my choice either) is a scaredy cat who is rarely seen on the floor or in the open except at night. The other was a destructive scratcher and we had no choice--it was that or get rid of him. He's about as aggressive as a marshmallow, and we've had him longer than we've had kids. he's 7 I think. Believe me--I wouldn't keep the cats at all if I thought they were a danger.
sly red cid 09:13 AM 09-17-2013
So why do so many of you have such a different position on having cats around daycare than dogs? Just wondering.Pregnant women are more susceptible to cat born illness than from dogs....we've had feral cats overrun our neighborhood and the preogs were kinda leary bout them being so all over everything outside............and their stink was terrrible.the neighbor feeding them all finally got some help, now all are neutered or spayed, and there are only 3 that I notice now.
SilverSabre25 09:24 AM 09-17-2013
Because cats usually keep to themselves and dogs are usually in people's faces? They are different species, very different behaviors.

And these aren't feral cats. They are VERY domesticated. Judging all housecats on the same level as dogs or feral cats is sort of silly.
MamaBear 09:31 AM 09-17-2013
I used to have a cat and one of my daycare girls were afraid of her too. So I bought a little robotic kitty toy at Target that looked a lot like my cat did... It would meow... walk around and purr. Super cute. So the girl looooved the toy. She'd play with it all the time. Eventually I brought the cat around her more and she was okay with her all of a sudden. I think the toy kinda took her fear away in a way. Maybe try something like that
Scout 09:45 AM 09-17-2013
So why do so many of you have such a different position on having cats around daycare than dogs? Just wondering.Pregnant women are more susceptible to cat born illness than from dogs....we've had feral cats overrun our neighborhood and the preogs were kinda leary bout them being so all over everything outside............and their stink was terrrible.the neighbor feeding them all finally got some help, now all are neutered or spayed, and there are only 3 that I notice now.
I have 2 and they hide almost 90% of the time. They have taken to hiding in my closet or they like to sit in the laundry baskets of dirty clothes in the basement...makes me kinda sad! You can not compare cats with dogs. Cats are solo creatures much of the time, Dogs like to be around people most of the time. And strays are a completely different category as well. They do not usually like to be approached by humans and will run away.
MsLaura529 10:29 AM 09-17-2013
Yikes, who would have thought there was be such nastiness on a thread about cats ...

I am like you Silver, in that there is no way to keep my cats contained and out of the daycare. They jump the gates (or squeeze through, or sit there and meow and meow at me until I open up the gate for them, haha).

I agree with trying to show them funny cat videos, or even getting some books about cute little kittens, maybe doing a cat project one day?

I have a DCB who is afraid of our dog (understandably so, he is a large dog). The dog does not come into the daycare, but if DCB happens to be standing by the gate, and the dog walks up to the gate on the other side, DCB runs away screaming and crying. However, he talks about the dog constantly, "puppy woof" or "hi puppy" ... he just doesn't want him coming near him.
WImom 11:06 AM 09-17-2013
Maybe do a pet theme - talk about all kinds of pets but really focus on cats?

I like the idea of funny videos and books.

I've had kids afraid of my dogs. They don't come in the space but my older dog will sometimes come down stairs if a favorite parent is here. My 9y old beagle/basset used to be allowed in the space until kids kept chasing him so I stopped it. He does remember which parents love him and shower him in petting. It helps too though for the scared kids to see other people not afraid of him. All of the kids I've had ended up liking him a lot.
Starburst 11:28 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
No advice, but it's weird that ALL of them are..
Chances are (especially if they are siblings) one of there parents is afraid of cats and projected that fear to the kids (most fears like this are learned, not experienced-based). Sometimes kids also fake having similar fears to fit in. My ex-roommate (worked at her mom's daycare) was afraid of clowns and after the older DCKs heard about it they all suddenly had a "fear" of clowns, they all saw her as a cool older sister and constantly imitated her- she knew they weren't really afraid and were just copying her.
My3cents 11:29 AM 09-17-2013
I don't know about that more of a reality in todays world we live in. People are sue happy over anything. Animals are animals and they react the way they are supposed to react when scared or feel threatened. Pets pose liabilities-

I would just let the cats do their own thing unless they are the type of cat that won't leave you alone. Most cats will run off and hide if they don't want to be bothered but then you get the ones that just can't get enough attention and want to be all over you all the time. I would not feed into the kids fear and just tell the child to leave the cat alone if she is scared and if the cat bothered her I would shoo the cat away. I wouldn't try to make them best friends either. Good luck-
Starburst 11:39 AM 09-17-2013
And these aren't feral cats. They are VERY domesticated. Judging all housecats on the same level as dogs or feral cats is sort of silly.
Even stray cats and feral cats aren't the same, though most use the terms interchangeably. 'Feral' refers to wild, never having interaction with humans- feral cats are usually afraid of humans and in almost every case cannot be properly domesticated because they don't trust humans enough to get close. 'Stays' are usually animals that have had human interaction and are usually abandoned pets or runaways. They are usually more likely to approach humans and are easier to domesticate, usually because they have already been domesticated.

If you take a stray to a pound they will either fix and release or try to find a home for it; if you trap a feral and take it to the pound they will either fix and release or euthanize because they pretty much assume feral animals aren't adoptable.

BTW my aunt used to work for Animal Friends and Rescue and has fostered many cats and dogs, she pretty much knows all the ins and outs of animal shelters.
Cradle2crayons 11:51 AM 09-17-2013
I have the same position at my house.

The dogs and cats are out free all day. They go in and out of the house at will. The only thing not in the daycare areas is my daughters pet rat, the mouse family (both in daughters room), the kids two snakes (in my room), and Willie our rescue hamster (in my room as well). Oh and our kitten rescued from a busy intersection. She lives in daughters room during the daytime hours.

Not that it won't happen, but I've never had a daycare kid scratched. I've been scratched by one kitten who for some reason likes to follow me around and when I ignore him, he climbs me like a tree (shrug).

I had cat scratch fever when I was four from my grandmas outside cats who were not the cleanest cats or vaccinated. I spent 10 days in the hospital.

While anything is possible, I'd be more worried about a cat bite than a cat scratch. Also of note, the bacteria that causes cat scratch disease can also be found in e saliva, blood, and on e fur of infected cats. Also, fleas are the number one transmission route that infects a cat. Ticks also spread it, and dogs can get it too from infected fleas etc even though their form (mutation) is a little different.

There are tests to identify it and it can be cured in cats.

That said, all of our cats get tested yearly and are all negative, EXCEPT our new rescue we found dodging 18 wheelers in a busy intersection. She was administered a z pack (but in cat liquid form) and will be retested in a few months.

Also of note, just because a cat is infected doesn't mean they will transmit it.

The chances of a child getting the infection is less than them falling and scraping their knee and it getting infected.

Silver, my advice is to start slow, just like you are doing. I had a girl once who was TERRIFIED of cats. So was her mom. I took her to a friend of mines house who had some newborn kittens, and she saw how helpless they were as babies. And they were so cute. My friend told the girl she needed help feeding them with a syringe, and gave her a little kids vet lab coat. Girl was HOOKED after that. Now this girl is in junior high. Her goal is to be a vet when she grows up.

Btw, as I type this, TUX the monkey kitten is climbing the back of me to get onto my shoulders. Apparently he thinks the iPad is getting more attention than him.
countrymom 12:22 PM 09-17-2013
thats not true. My cat is front and back declawed and i've had him for 14 yrs. I've never had him bite out of aggression as a matter of fact he will hiss at the kids if they are bugging him.
Cradle2crayons 12:26 PM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
thats not true. My cat is front and back declawed and i've had him for 14 yrs. I've never had him bite out of aggression as a matter of fact he will hiss at the kids if they are bugging him.
I think she was referring to research that proves that the INCIDENCE of biting and other behavioral problems are higher in cats who have been declawed.

Of course, it's not true in all cats. Obviously yours isn't the norm
Meeko 12:41 PM 09-17-2013
All of my clients know I have a dog. He is part of my family. To me....having a client not like my dog is like having them not like my daughter. I'm not getting rid of either of them.......

I am not a cat lover, but the same would apply if I had a cat. The parent was aware you had cats. She was aware her kids were nervous around them. She chose your daycare anyway.

They have to get used to them or leave. I would just live life as I usually do. Adapt or leave. My family first.

I love my daycare kids. But I love my dog more. Much more.
Cradle2crayons 12:43 PM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
All of my clients know I have a dog. He is part of my family. To me....having a client not like my dog is like having them not like my daughter. I'm not getting rid of either of them.......

I am not a cat lover, but the same would apply if I had a cat. The parent was aware you had cats. She was aware her kids were nervous around them. She chose your daycare anyway.

They have to get used to them or leave. I would just live life as I usually do. Adapt or leave. My family first.

I love my daycare kids. But I love my dog more. Much more.
I agree. I disclose all animals to parents from day one. As well as vet records and health history on them all. If they chose to place their kids here, then it is what it is.
MotherNature 05:55 AM 09-18-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
Chances are (especially if they are siblings) one of there parents is afraid of cats and projected that fear to the kids (most fears like this are learned, not experienced-based). Sometimes kids also fake having similar fears to fit in. My ex-roommate (worked at her mom's daycare) was afraid of clowns and after the older DCKs heard about it they all suddenly had a "fear" of clowns, they all saw her as a cool older sister and constantly imitated her- she knew they weren't really afraid and were just copying her.
I wondered that.. Didn't realize they were all sisters. That totally makes sense though.
Reply Up