Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Large Projects
Springdaze 06:42 AM 06-21-2012
I want to find a large, time comsuming project for next month for the kids to do. I love the igloo, but I dont think my hubby would understand! any ideas?
Kiki 07:15 AM 06-21-2012
Pinterest! You will find TONS of stuff there. I have a board set up, but it's mostly with smaller crafts, I don't really have room for the big stuff. I can kind of search around for you today, post here what I find if you'd like.
Countrygal 07:30 AM 06-21-2012
I'm not sure what state you are in, but our state Department of Natural Resources has a badge that children can "earn" over the summer by completing various outdoor projects. The youngest book is for 3 -5 yo children, but more advanced 2 yo can participate and get a badge. My grandson loves doing it and we've been working on it over the spring and summer with the dck this year. Every year has different projects, and there are even books for older children if you have any of your own. All the books are sort of "coordinated" so that the projects can be done together - for example, my 6yo can do his projects at the same time as the younger set, and we discuss them all together! The kids have had a lot of fun doing these. If your state doesn't have something like this (check your state parks), you could always make up your own. I'd be happy to share what we have to do this year.

So far we've studied bird feathers and nests and robins, textures in nature, and are currently working on fish. My 6yo had to try to stand still enough to let some fish nibble on his toes.
spud912 07:31 AM 06-21-2012
Maybe you could get a large cardboard box and cut it into a ship or castle. Not only could the kids play in it, but they can paint and color it!
Willow 07:45 AM 06-21-2012
I challenged my daycare kiddos to color/marker/paint/glitter glue etc an entire giant roll of paper. It's about three feet wide and we pull it out nearly everyday, they are knocking it out about 8 feet a day give or take. It gives them some great space to make some really giant creations!

I roll it up from the opposite side once they finish a portion so it doesn't take up much room to store at all. I told them once they're done we're going to take it outside and roll it all the way out so we can see all of the amazing things they've drawn.

I plan to use it for wrapping paper for their Christmas presents this year
Countrygal 08:29 AM 06-21-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
I challenged my daycare kiddos to color/marker/paint/glitter glue etc an entire giant roll of paper. It's about three feet wide and we pull it out nearly everyday, they are knocking it out about 8 feet a day give or take. It gives them some great space to make some really giant creations!

I roll it up from the opposite side once they finish a portion so it doesn't take up much room to store at all. I told them once they're done we're going to take it outside and roll it all the way out so we can see all of the amazing things they've drawn.

What a cool idea!!! Where did you get the paper?
Recie 09:01 AM 06-21-2012

awesome idea!!!!

OP are you talking about the milk carton igloo? id love to try that myself i was thinking about it this morning. I was wondering how it could be made to be more sturdy.
Blackcat31 09:04 AM 06-21-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
I am lucky that the main business in our community is a paper making plant and several of my DCD's work there and get us these rolls of paper for free. Mine, however, are large! Like 100's of feet long and 3-4 feet wide but I love that we have access to them for craft projects and such.

You can try the standard early childhood sites to order paper rolls or you can try office supply stores and sites such as this one. http://www.uline.com/BL_1954/Newspri...keywords=paper rolls
spud912 09:09 AM 06-21-2012

I agree, very good idea!!
Springdaze 09:17 AM 06-21-2012
I like the paper idea. Im thinking you could use brown mailing paper and tape another one on as one ends.

Im gonna check on the badge idea too! Pinterest kinda keeps giving me the same ideas a few times so maybe Im not doing it right
cheerfuldom 09:30 AM 06-21-2012
maybe do some reading worms?

check out the second picture on the link....the worm "grows" as they read each book. They can draw a picture of what they read (or looked at, talked about, read as a group) if they cannot write.

http://msfultz.blogspot.com/2012/03/...-projects.html
My3cents 09:30 AM 06-21-2012
My 6yo had to try to stand still enough to let some fish nibble on his toes.

precious!!! Hope you took pictures!

Willow- love the Christmas paper idea- might have to borrow that one.

big projects for me- are anything messy- and doing it outside is great for easy clean up.

Willow 10:26 AM 06-21-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
I have two uncles that work for Verso Paper Mill here in MN. They get me the big rolls (some so big I have to have SO carry them in the house!) at no cost from time to time when production hit's a snag and they end up with imperfect ones. I would usually just snip off sections of paper as I needed it but then got the idea to just keep on doing the roll altogether.

We've been at it a couple of months now, I think it'll be fun when we roll it out for them to look at it all and be able to recall hey! I remember when I drew that!

I have pictures of the day we started but I'm having a heck of a time trying to find them....fits perfect right down the hallway and so many kids can have such a giant space each time. Works so well, and is so cool to see when kids aren't confined to a regular sized sheet of construction paper what they can come up with!
Tags:activites, activites - large project, large project
Reply Up