Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Very Grateful My Kids Are Not In Daycare
My4SunshineGirlsNY 10:37 AM 04-30-2012
I am thankful to be providing daycare and having fun while I work....but I am very glad my kids do not have to be in daycare.

Am I a minority??? It seems as though it comes so easy for most parents to drop off their kids (most of the time earlier than they need to be dropped off) and never ask questions at pick up such as how were they today or what did they do? It just comes SOOO easy for them and I don't get it.

I have had a couple jobs outside of the home in the past several years and each time it was so difficult on me...worried about my kids even though I was sure they were in good hands and worried if they behaved themselves, if they were being fed enough, if they were able to rest when they needed to rest, go to the bathroom when they needed to go, and the list goes on.

I run a small size home daycare and have only had a handful of parents over the past few years, and most of them don't seem to care if their child was good or even ask questions about their day...as if they don't care I guess???? It's nice they put that much trust in me, I know I do a good job with the kids, but most of the time I feel sad that they don't seem to care what their kids did or that I went out of my way to make them happy while they had to be away at work...or on the other spectrum if their kids were behaved and respectful. Some parents know their child is a handful and don't bother asking how they were today....I know I would!

I feel underappreciated sometimes and just so glad my kids can be with me and I don't have to worry.
Heidi 10:38 AM 04-30-2012
I'm fairly certain that it's why the majority of us got into daycare to begin with!
Kiki 10:42 AM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I'm fairly certain that it's why the majority of us got into daycare to begin with!
This is a good chunk of my reasoning for doing it! And I get it, I have a couple of parents that are like that too, in and out as fast as can be, without a single question about if they behaved, had fun, and so on. Hopefully they ask when they get home, I'd want to know all about their day if they were mine!
cheerfuldom 10:43 AM 04-30-2012
I have put aside many of my dreams in order that my children do not have to go to daycare. I find that my daycare parents are concerned but I know that there are many that have no problem dropping off their kids all day....or worse, doing daycare during the day and then another babysitter for evenings or weekends. It makes me wonder why they even had kids in the first place.
DaisyMamma 10:58 AM 04-30-2012
Id never send my kids to daycare and miss out on them growing up.
With that said I'm working in childcare just as I always have and I'm not doing it just to be home with them. I held off doing it as long as financially possible to be home ALONE with them during their formative years.
littlemissmuffet 11:04 AM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
I am thankful to be providing daycare and having fun while I work....but I am very glad my kids do not have to be in daycare.

Am I a minority??? It seems as though it comes so easy for most parents to drop off their kids (most of the time earlier than they need to be dropped off) and never ask questions at pick up such as how were they today or what did they do? It just comes SOOO easy for them and I don't get it.

I have had a couple jobs outside of the home in the past several years and each time it was so difficult on me...worried about my kids even though I was sure they were in good hands and worried if they behaved themselves, if they were being fed enough, if they were able to rest when they needed to rest, go to the bathroom when they needed to go, and the list goes on.

I run a small size home daycare and have only had a handful of parents over the past few years, and most of them don't seem to care if their child was good or even ask questions about their day...as if they don't care I guess???? It's nice they put that much trust in me, I know I do a good job with the kids, but most of the time I feel sad that they don't seem to care what their kids did or that I went out of my way to make them happy while they had to be away at work...or on the other spectrum if their kids were behaved and respectful. Some parents know their child is a handful and don't bother asking how they were today....I know I would!

I feel underappreciated sometimes and just so glad my kids can be with me and I don't have to worry.

I would only ever put my child in daycare as a VERY last resort. I don't have kids yet, but the primary reason I started a home daycare was so I could be home with our children when the time comes. I love my daycare kiddos, and I love the benefits of working from home - but at the end of the day, these kids are missing out on important moments with their moms and dads... and some of these moms and dads don't even know their children at all because their children are with me more often than them.

Also, I think in SOME cases daycare makes parents lazy. I can't tell you how many times I have watched parents be all upset about being away from their child in the beginning... can't wait to pick up little Johnny - and then within months see how much easier life is without their child so they try to drop off earlier and earlier, pick up later and later and try to drop off on all their days off.

I hear daycare parents complain ALL THE TIME about how hard it is to get groceries or wash the floor or basically do ANTYHING while having a child with them... meanwhile, I can juggle 30 diffrent tasks while handing 5-6 kids just fine. I watch stay-at-home/work-at-home moms do it all the time... then some of these working daycare parents feel so hard done by because they have to spend time with their own little one once in awhile.

It's sad.
SunshineMama 11:11 AM 04-30-2012
It is SOOO much easier to drop off your kids and go to work. I have done both and daycare is H.A.R.D!! But my kids need me so I feel that the sacrafice is worth it. Do I make a ton less doing daycare?!? Yup! Do I work longer hours and get less appreciation? Yup! But my littles need me, and you know what, my daycare kids need me too! The parents don't know how they lucky they are when they find a good provider. Where else can you get healthy organic/natural meals, a preschool curriculum run by someone with a Master's in education, and someone who hugs and loves your child... for $3.33 per hour (before taxes).

Meeko 11:31 AM 04-30-2012
I have several parents who honestly seem to spend as little time with their children as humanly possible. I don't get it.
Blackcat31 11:47 AM 04-30-2012
You know, I completely understand what you ladies are trying to say but you are also making it seem like if parents don't "sacrifice" everything and keep their children home with them that they are bad parents.

There are plenty of parents out there who would give anything to be able to stay home with their children and not put them in child care but have no other choice.

I started doing child care because I had a child who was every providers worst nightmare! I stayed in child care because I found I was good at it. My children did go to child care and I definitely don't think they were harmed at all by it. I worked teacher hours/schedules then and spent alot of quality time with my children when I was off work and in the summers when I didn't work.

Had my son not been having such a tough time in child care, I would have continued on with my kids in child care and a full-time job. I really don't think that made me a bad mom, nor do I feel as though I would have missed out on them growing up.
Unregistered 11:47 AM 04-30-2012
You know, some of you act like you are so much better than the evil, heartless parents who send their kids to daycare. But guess what, if you're doing daycare while your kids are home, they're in daycare, too. They do not have your undivided attention 100% of the time. And remember, if it weren't for these heartless parents who can't wait to drop their kids off, you wouldn't be doing what you're doing. It's sad that some of you have such little respect for your own profession.
SunshineMama 12:02 PM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
You know, some of you act like you are so much better than the evil, heartless parents who send their kids to daycare. But guess what, if you're doing daycare while your kids are home, they're in daycare, too. They do not have your undivided attention 100% of the time. And remember, if it weren't for these heartless parents who can't wait to drop their kids off, you wouldn't be doing what you're doing. It's sad that some of you have such little respect for your own profession.
I don't think all parents are evil or heartless at all. I like all of my daycare parents and families. I agree with Blackcat- if my child were not one of those impossible kids who needed to be with mom only, I would probably still be working outside the home. I have impossibly high standards for my kids (which I extend to my daycare kids), so I probably would be the worst helicoptor daycare parent anyway.

But there are a lot of times when the parents just don't "get it."

When your child has a fever and is sick and needs mom and dad- take a day off and care or your own child. I have had parents take a week off to run off to Las Vegas without their kids, but those same parents can't take time off to care for their own sick kid. I also have parents who leave their child for extra hours at daycare EVERY DAY, and show up in sweat pants and t-shirts because they just wanted the extra time to themselves. Occasionally- that' okay, but every day?? Don't you want to spend time with your own kids?

Of course people have to work. So do we.. I appreciate all of my families and they appreciate me. But I will say that I took a $35,000 paycut and work 10+ more hours a week because my child needed me. We take less vacations. We don't go out to eat. So yes, I do feel that I am better than the parent who drops their kid off every day for 12 hours a day when they only work 8 hour days. And yes, I am better than the parent who drugged up their kid on tylenol and cold meds because they used all of their vacation days while on vacation. And I am better than the parent who drives the Mercedes and has the 3,500 sq foot house, but drops off their colicky child who just won't adjust to daycare. If you are going to have kids you have to be prepared to make sacrafices if you have to. Not all working parents are bad, but there are a lot of selfish parents out there who don't prioritize their own kids at all.

My current families are generally great. I don't accept the selfish parents anymore- too many behavioral issues with the kids.
Ariana 12:18 PM 04-30-2012
I don't think anyone here is saying they hate working parents or think they're evil. I wouldn't have a job if it weren't for working parents!

I think we all know THOSE parents who simply don't give a darn about their kids!! Whether I am a childcare provider or not I still know those parents. The parent who drops off 2 hours before work starts or picks up 2 hours after work ends...or bring their kids in when they're on vacation. Or works 3 hours a day and goes to the gym for the rest of the day while their kid is in care. Kid comes in with dirty, ripped clothing and hair not brushed but they drive an expensive SUV that doesn't have a speck of dirt on it with rim's that are so shiny they'd blind you etc etc.

We have a bit of an exclusive view into children and parents doing what we do, so we see what YOU (general public you) don't. Same as a police officer knows more about kooks in my neighbourhood than I do!!
Ariana 12:21 PM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by :
There are plenty of parents out there who would give anything to be able to stay home with their children and not put them in child care but have no other choice.
I suppose I can't speak for everyone but I don't think these are the type of parent we're talking about. There are plenty of parents who work and have their kids in care that are interested in their day when they pick them up, spend vacations with them and if they get an unexpected day off rush to pick them up so they can spend time with them. I would say 90% of parents are like this thankfully
Blackcat31 12:32 PM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I don't think anyone here is saying they hate working parents or think they're evil. I wouldn't have a job if it weren't for working parents!

I think we all know THOSE parents who simply don't give a darn about their kids!! Whether I am a childcare provider or not I still know those parents. The parent who drops off 2 hours before work starts or picks up 2 hours after work ends...or bring their kids in when they're on vacation. Or works 3 hours a day and goes to the gym for the rest of the day while their kid is in care. Kid comes in with dirty, ripped clothing and hair not brushed but they drive an expensive SUV that doesn't have a speck of dirt on it with rim's that are so shiny they'd blind you etc etc.

We have a bit of an exclusive view into children and parents doing what we do, so we see what YOU (general public you) don't. Same as a police officer knows more about kooks in my neighbourhood than I do!!
Until Meeko said she had "several parents who honestly seem to spend as little time with their children as humanly possible" I didn't really think this thread was about "those" kinds of parents.

I didn't at all take this thread as a complaint about "those" kinds of parents.

I read the thread and the posts within as if putting your child in child care and dropping off as if it was the easiest thing in the world made it sound as if they were bad parents for doing so... we have no idea if a DCM's heart is breaking as she leaves little Johnny and heads off to work trying hard not to think of everything she is missing while she is at work.

I guess I just read this thread as a bit judgmental about working parents.
Maybe it is just Monday....
Kiki 12:32 PM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by BlackCat31:
I suppose I can't speak for everyone but I don't think these are the type of parent we're talking about. There are plenty of parents who work and have their kids in care that are interested in their day when they pick them up, spend vacations with them and if they get an unexpected day off rush to pick them up so they can spend time with them. I would say 90% of parents are like this thankfully
Yea, those are not the parents I am talking about, I was a full time working mom up until we had our 3d. I'm talking about the ones that drop-off/pick-up early, don't inquire about their days, so on.

And sure, my kids I suppose are technically in day care, however, they are lucky enough to spend more time with me than most children can with their parents. (Again, I am not judging any parent that has to work, I know how hard it is!)
Also, who is able to give their kids 100% undivided attention? I'd like to meet that parent and give them a high five!
Kiki 12:33 PM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Maybe it is just Monday....
It's just Monday!
dave4him 12:41 PM 04-30-2012
ITS THE reason i am home with my kids in the first place. But its been almost two years and unless i get some more kids to watch, im going to have to start thinking about putting my little ones in daycare! Which i am not looking forward to, so im hoping i can get some more kids soon
SunshineMama 12:42 PM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
GOOD! Because being a parent who has to work and who keeps her child home when she is sick, rarely gets a vacation day for something other than a sick child or because her provider is taking the day off, never complains about time her provider takes off, always pays on time, always asks about her child's day, always says thank you and tries to show appreciation, and never leaves her child in daycare a *second* more than she has to, it's really disheartening to come here and see the people you trust to care for your child talking about how much better they are than you. It's really hurtful.
You are definitely not the type of parent that we gripe about! I brag about my parents who come and pick up their sick kids and care for them You sound like a wonderful mother!
Kaddidle Care 12:43 PM 04-30-2012
I didn't have my children late in life for someone else to raise so I stayed home and did a bit of Childcare at that time. Funny thing is, where I work, the majority of us have never put our children in Daycare.
Meeko 12:52 PM 04-30-2012
I know perfectly well that some parents have no choice but to work hard and put their little ones in care. Nobody is disputing that. If someone works hard for 50 hours a week and uses that much day care...I don't have a problem with it. They are doing whatever it takes to pay the bills.

HOWEVER.....I think some of us here think it's sad when a parent works 30 hours a week and yet has their child in day care for 50.

I accept that maybe from time to time, a mom needs some time to get her hair cut, or visit the doctor or dentist. We all need some down time.

But for many moms (yes...I have had LOTS over the years), it is the norm to drop off when the day care opens and pick up when it closes....even though they only NEED care for half that time. I've had moms drop off at 6AM when they don't have to be at work until 10AM. Or pick up at 6PM on the nose, even though they were done working by 2PM. And for no other reason that they wanted to. No errands run, no appointments...just sat at home watching tv or whatever. Day in and day out. I've had children with me all day while their mother was at home ALL DAY. She'll drop off in her jammies and pick up in her jammies.

Now I could stop some of that if I did contracted hours....but I'm not the mommy police. I just wish more moms WANTED to be with their kids.
Blackcat31 01:03 PM 04-30-2012
...just for clarification....I did not think OP was talking about "those" kinds of parents.

I read: "I'm very grateful my kids are not in daycare

Am I a minority??? It seems as though it comes so easy for most parents to drop off their kids (most of the time earlier than they need to be dropped off) and never ask questions at pick up such as how were they today or what did they do? It just comes SOOO easy for them and I don't get it."

...as if leaving your child in care was as simple as getting a haircut or whatever.....the general tone of what I read was not at all pointed towards parents who leave their children everyday or all day when they aren't working. IMHO, it read it as if it was more geared toward the fact that parents use child care (easily) at all and are missing out on their children growing up.
Blackcat31 01:05 PM 04-30-2012
....and FWIW, I do think it is terribly sad that there are parents who work 30 hours a week and use 50+ hours of child care services.

I am sure some parents feel as though they are paying for it so why not use it (and all sorts of other excuses) but that wasn't the point I was trying to make.
3girls 01:42 PM 04-30-2012
Thats why I do HDC

I try to weed out "those" parents, but saw them all the time at the centers I worked it - I would say they are the norm at centers around here. All of my families right now stagger shifts to use as little DC as possible.
My3cents 04:00 PM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by dave4him:
ITS THE reason i am home with my kids in the first place. But its been almost two years and unless i get some more kids to watch, im going to have to start thinking about putting my little ones in daycare! Which i am not looking forward to, so im hoping i can get some more kids soon
What are you doing to advertise? What are you doing now to advertise?

I think you need to take a monday, and get out there and put your name out there, go meet and greet. Put up signs, introduce yourself to your competition and get a working relationship going with the public. Do you live in a neighborhood that has no kids? Too many daycares around you? You need to sike yourself up and get the ball rolling. Introduce yourself to the local schools. When your college student comes in to help you, get her out there advertising for you also, her first assignment. Best-
My3cents 04:11 PM 04-30-2012
This thread is mute in point- What does it matter the reason the child is in daycare. Bad parenting is bad parenting. We have all seen it. I like to think that MOST parent's love their children and are doing what is best for them. If they need time to themselves to be a better parent- so be it. We all have issues and our own quirks. As long as I am being paid and the child is being cared for all is well. If you resent the over time then put a price on it- if you feel the child is not well of from not seeing the parents, tell the parents. I see both points and I do feel for the child, but we are all different and our styles are different. Sometimes kids that are in daycare are prob better off then in the home life they have. sad but true

Just remember you are a difference maker esp in these growing years-
Ariana 05:28 PM 04-30-2012
...just for clarification....I did not think OP was talking about "those" kinds of parents.

I read: "I'm very grateful my kids are not in daycare

Am I a minority??? It seems as though it comes so easy for most parents to drop off their kids (most of the time earlier than they need to be dropped off) and never ask questions at pick up such as how were they today or what did they do? It just comes SOOO easy for them and I don't get it."[/i]

...as if leaving your child in care was as simple as getting a haircut or whatever.....the general tone of what I read was not at all pointed towards parents who leave their children everyday or all day when they aren't working. IMHO, it read it as if it was more geared toward the fact that parents use child care (easily) at all and are missing out on their children growing up.
See I thought she was qualifying it (those parents) by saying the bolded part above. This is why I was thinking she meant *those* parents. I guess it could be read both ways...
JenNJ 03:43 AM 05-01-2012
Wow. The judgment on this board towards working parents is disgusting lately. Between some of the views in this post and the vacation post, I can see that some people here really look down on woh parents. You all realize that these parents chose you to care for their kids and likely if they didn't most of you would need a job outside the home, right?

I feel very fortunate that I am able to stay home with my kids, but I know that not every parent is cut out to do that. My friend is a great mom, but she likes to work too. Work is fun for her and she likes that down time. It doesn't make her a bad parent. In fact, I think the fact she knows what her limitations are as a parent makes her a better parent. She doesn't have the patience to be with her kids 24/7. She knows how mentally and emotionally draining that kind of work is. And yes, parenting is hard work.
DaisyMamma 04:54 AM 05-01-2012
I just wanted to point out that if you own a daycare and your child is in it, then your child IS IN DAYCARE
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:25 AM 05-01-2012
Maybe it's not fair for me to imply the parents don't care...the real feeling of my post was that it is VERY hard for ME to leave my kids, and when they were in daycare I asked a ton of questions at pick up because I worried about them so much....I have the severe separation anxiety issue and would of loved for dropping off my kids to be more natural instead of worry about if they were ok or if they were behaving, but I feel like a minority because dropping them off for someone else to care for them was extreemly difficult for me. Therefore I am greatful I don't have to drop them off at daycare and worry.

I should not imply the parents do not care...it just sometimes it feels that way because they don't ask questions about how they were or what they did or give me the feeling that they know what I do is hard work and they appreciate it. It is nice to know or hear that what I do as a daycare provider is appreciated by the parents. Know what I mean?
youretooloud 07:30 AM 05-01-2012

I don't have a single parent who doesn't spend every possible moment with their kids. I have one parent with some major emotional problems, so she can't handle her kids anymore... but, 99.9% of my kids go home to parents who love to be with them....and, it shows too. My kids and their parents are really awesome.
Blackcat31 07:40 AM 05-01-2012
Maybe it's not fair for me to imply the parents don't care...the real feeling of my post was that it is VERY hard for ME to leave my kids, and when they were in daycare I asked a ton of questions at pick up because I worried about them so much....I have the severe separation anxiety issue and would of loved for dropping off my kids to be more natural instead of worry about if they were ok or if they were behaving, but I feel like a minority because dropping them off for someone else to care for them was extreemly difficult for me. Therefore I am greatful I don't have to drop them off at daycare and worry.

I should not imply the parents do not care...it just sometimes it feels that way because they don't ask questions about how they were or what they did or give me the feeling that they know what I do is hard work and they appreciate it. It is nice to know or hear that what I do as a daycare provider is appreciated by the parents. Know what I mean?
Thank you! I appreciate everything you are saying. I also agree that it is difficult for some parents and easier for others. I know we are all different and see, feel and understand things differently than others.

FWIW~ I was a parent who could easily (on the outside) drop off my child at daycare because I absolutely trusted and loved my provider. It didn't mean that I didn't drive off feeling badly or a bit remorseful that I was leaving my kids. At the end of the day, I didn't ask my provider a million questions because I knew if anything that needed to be addressed had happened, she would have told me or called me. The rest of the questions I had, I asked my kids on the way home.

I showed my provider that I appreciated what she did by paying her on time, following the schedule I gave her, keeping my kids home when they were ill and baisically obserivng and agreeing to her policies and rules. I didn't tell her thank you everyday nor did I go out of my way to express some huge sense of gratefulness to her because she is offering a service and I was paying for it.

I kind of looked at it like I didn't go to the grocery store and find the owner and profusely thank him for having groceries available for me to buy.....he has a business and I buy things from it....I looked at it the same way.....

I know it is hard to not feel appreciated but I don't always think we realize that we are appreciated when the parents pay on time and follow our policies....I don't expect anything more from them....kwim?

Agian, thank you for further explaination about your original post.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 08:24 AM 05-01-2012
understood exactly blackcat.....I am very thankful for this job and the parents I work for...they may not all think as I think but they are good people. I do get paid on time and very well for our area and I'm thankful for that as if it were not for them, I wouldn't have this opportunity to be home with my own kids.
My3cents 09:47 AM 05-01-2012
Thank you! I appreciate everything you are saying. I also agree that it is difficult for some parents and easier for others. I know we are all different and see, feel and understand things differently than others.

FWIW~ I was a parent who could easily (on the outside) drop off my child at daycare because I absolutely trusted and loved my provider. It didn't mean that I didn't drive off feeling badly or a bit remorseful that I was leaving my kids. At the end of the day, I didn't ask my provider a million questions because I knew if anything that needed to be addressed had happened, she would have told me or called me. The rest of the questions I had, I asked my kids on the way home.

I showed my provider that I appreciated what she did by paying her on time, following the schedule I gave her, keeping my kids home when they were ill and baisically obserivng and agreeing to her policies and rules. I didn't tell her thank you everyday nor did I go out of my way to express some huge sense of gratefulness to her because she is offering a service and I was paying for it.

I kind of looked at it like I didn't go to the grocery store and find the owner and profusely thank him for having groceries available for me to buy.....he has a business and I buy things from it....I looked at it the same way.....

I know it is hard to not feel appreciated but I don't always think we realize that we are appreciated when the parents pay on time and follow our policies....I don't expect anything more from them....kwim?

Agian, thank you for further explaination about your original post.
I am commenting on the bold- I agree with this. Self appreciation is enough for me. It is nice when they say wonderful things. I would like to Thank the Trader Joe owner! I love that place!!! Ok<-------- always a smarty pants.....worse then a kid;-) but I would.......tee hee I wish we had a like button
christinaskids 10:39 AM 05-01-2012
The thing i like about being home with my kids is that i know my sons habits and schedule more than anyone else does. I like to know how he naps, how he eats and interacts with the other kids and even how he poops haha. I also like not having the pressure of missing work if he is not feeling well. I am in nursing school but i am really looking forward to working 3 12 hour shifts a week to have special days with ONLY us and not a bunch of other kids.
daycare 10:45 AM 05-01-2012
one of my mottos is:

Don't be mad/upset/judge/label (list could go on) ME, for not being the person that you WISH I could BE.
Or don't (fill in the blank) at me becuase I don't do things the way that you would do them. For I am me and YOU are YOU......

In my daycare, no news is often good news.
Reply Up